A question

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

A question

Post by GM_Chris »

I need to rate effective styles from most powerful to least and an explanation as to why.

2 Handed
Sword and board
Dual Wield
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Sword and board
In this game it's even more so than real life because the shields can be so big. When packet effects surged it was a little different but now you can crouch a little behind a shield and it's really hard to get past it.

Dual Wield
because of the speed and the fact that you can deal 2x as much damage in about the same amount of time. You can parry and strike at the same time.

1 handed longsword\bastardsword size weapon
Because you have a free hand while fighting to grab things quickly , open doors, pull out potions, throw something basically more flexibility.

2 Handed spear size
Because of the length you can be out of range for most others to hit you and you can still hit them.

2 Handed bastardsword\2 hander
Most limited and if you can build a decently balanced weapon you can wield a weapon of the same lenth with one hand
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Pretty much agree with what Temple just said about the fighting.

Sword and board is by far to me the most powerful.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I agree with basically everyone.

I rate the Dual Wield only SLIGHTLY below the Sword and Board. Duel wielers can get the advantage of Sword and board users the easiest by striking from 2 sides. Shields have mass, and can not be in 2 places at once.

Don't packets still surge? Maybe you mean damage packets specifically.

The two handed weapon is a useless waste of energy. You get all of the limits (one weapon, slow, weight) and none of the benifits.(extra damage, armor defeating, knocking people the hell down.)
Travis Cole
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Ditto to all.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm pretty sure I read in the new rules that a shield can stop a packet effect.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

only packet driven effects preceeded by a number may be blocked with a shield. PG 16. That means damage. and the crush rules specifically superceed that.
Travis Cole
Dredge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Dredge »

I pretty much agree with that order, with Staff getting its own special spot between Dual Wield and One Hand.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

This is all based on one on one, open field combat.
1. sword and board: Partly depends on shield size but is the most effective just due to the fact that it has such a large object to get around, and you can easily control the motion of the opponent's weapon(s).

2. two weapons: Nice, as you can always hit and block but the offhand weapon is smaller than a shield and you still can only do damage as fast as you can say it, which is slower than you can swing one weapon anyway.

3. single weapon (any size): least effective as once you are blocked you are toast.

Cave type:
1. Sword and Board: Still nice, but obviously but not as useful as you have to get around it to and don't have the mobility as with open field

2. single weapon: This is even worse as you mainly can only poke (with large) but if behind someone, this is a great tool as the reach can then come into play (reason it goes to 2)

3. two weapons: While they aren't as effective due to lack of mobility still not bad as you have two things to use.

Non damaging effects and Crush:
1. single weapon: This is due to the fact that there is less area to be hit therfore it's easier to no get hit.

2. dual weapon: second smallest area to hit. A large single weapon may be bigger but you don't have to split focus with one.

3. sword and board: buh bye...

Ultimately, it depends on the situation and you generally want a mix to cover different scenarios. A large weapon behind a shield person is great in a cave. Out in the open, two dual weapons would chew them up due to circling. If you are recieveing crush, shields suck.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I have to disagree on one point. Crush. If receiving crush everything sucks. A 'Huge' sheild may be a little worse as its harder to manuver with, but unless the NPC is playing patty-cake with his swings trying to target your weapon instead of your body, everything sucks against crush. If you have someone baring down on you while swinging crush you have 3 options.
1- Block (instinct) Does no good and you get beat on.
2- Trade Blows (Aggressive) Swing away and hope he drops before you do.
3- Run (definsive/Passive) If hes on you already this will most likely result in death blows to the back.

Crush is nasty against everything, sheilds included, while almost everthing else is thwarted by the sheild. Sword and Board is equal, or superior in almost every equasion.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Best defense against crush is a big weapon.

Misconception and a GM can correct me, but for a crush attack to hit you it has to have a reasonable chance of actually striking you. This means hitting the tip of a persons weapon should be be counted as a hit.

IF you have a long spear like weapon and they have a shorter weapon and are just hitting the top half of your weapon then you take no crush!

This is why the beast slayer uses a polearm :)

The reason for this post was....

Should people be able to dual wield without the use of a skill or is that too powerful?

If that was allowed, then should VERY large weapons get an extra point of damage.

Both of these I am VERY VERY unsure of, but I wanted to get a head start on next year possible changes
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Crush is only bad if you get hit, true. But it's easier to manuever to avoid hits with a single weapon. Think of the last battle in Rob Roy until the guy was killed as his sword was caught.

I'd leave the current weapon rules as is. It'd be something to playtest, but they aren't broken at the moment so I wouldn't fix em.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

with a long weapon you can keep a person away from you (hopeflly) can still deliver damage and maybe not be hit in return
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I have to disagree with your cave assesment Ried, I think it stays the same way and switch 2 handed spear and one handed. Most caves are just too small to swing big 2 handed swords in so you end up using it like a polearm only it's shorter so less effective. And in a cave once you get inside of someone wielding a long weapon when you're wielding 2 short ones they die quickly because they have no room to even swing their weapons.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I didn't put single over dual as a one on one reason. A single large weapon behind a shield person is extremely powerful in a cave. Most can remember Vince behind me in the early events... A dual wield in a cave is nice but not as good as a shield, and not as useful for a combo as a single...