Spells

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Spells

Post by Eli »

When a spell says "Duration: Instant" it means that as soon as you reach the end of the casting time the spell goes off?

So, as an example Bolder Storm, takes 20 minutes to cast, so no practical use for any plot, but nice for say like defending an area in case of an attack, but it says duration instant, so you would have to perfectly cast the spell 20 minutes before the npc's attack. I don't get that. I mean, really that's impossible, no one can do that, so the spell is really non-usable.

I think that a fix would be to make it once the caster has completed the amount of time needed to cast a spell, say this one, so they sit in place for 20 minutes casting, then they can sit there holding it until they want it to go off.

For the ones that say "instant" they shouldn't be able to leave where they are (like an empath holding a 30 boom) until they finish the casting...
(Note some of the other spell handle moving around in the description, this is only talking about the ones that say instant.)

So that would mean you could NOT pre-cast bolder storm and then with it cast go on a plot and then set it off, I agree that would be broken. But if you know sometime in the next half hour an army is moving on the town you could cast the spell and sit there waiting for them, and once they appear let it go off on them...

Now before anyone says, "well then one arcane could take out an entire army!" (see muster troops with life points of 5). To that I answer, people are not dumb. Soldiers learn over time. So any MP spent to bring in troops would be smart enough NOT to group all of their troops into a single line straight on attack. NOONE does that, they attack at different spots and at intervals, and spread out. So no single arcane could take out an entire army this way. At best they might get like 5 troops maybe a few more, which is impressive none the less, but not broken, as at that point the mage is done.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )