Elf Boom (again)

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Elf Boom (again)

Post by dier_cire »

Figured I'd start this debate early as it'll get under way soon enough. I have no issues with the armor restriction, keeps with the use of booms in general. However the reduction to 2 damage is kinda silly. 3 for a 10 count was never overpowered to begin with, why knock it down? Sure with the guild powers it could be nasty but those are gone. This is a double whammy. I can throw a lot more than 2 rocks in a 10 count. Heck, valken'vi get 3 for a 5 count, 3 for a 10 seems even to me. Yes, I know it's backstab, however both have their pluses and minuses, and the booms end up just a bit higher (15 vs 12, 30 is a different world as you can't move) due to it being resistable. Backstabs are not.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I agree. Is it really neccesary to add two drawbacks (less damage and armor restriction) to the racial bonus considering the guild bonuses have been stripped? If so, that bag of rocks is going to get awfully heavy...
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think you guys bring up a good point about the damage. The thing I think we need to explore is not the damage of the elf boon but the idea of throwing rocks. I really like the idea of being able to pick up a stone and throw it at someone but should it do damage? In FH, hitting someone with a sword does 1 point of damage. Hitting someone with a thrown rock does 1 point of damage. I don't think thats right. I am OK with throwing rocks as a discipline skill like the archer (Representing practice to achieve accuracy) but I dont think any Joe Blow should pick up a rock and throw it for damage. I think they still are useful though. I would say you could disrupt people by hitting them with a throwing rock. Thoughts?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You make a good point but daggers do 1 point of damage, same as a polearm. Thrown rocks doing 1 damage isn't a big deal since most people have a shield, reducing it to zero. Ultimately the damage of a rock can never be increased over 1, unlike every other weapon. It is only good for a concentration breaker since it's easier to hit consistantly with a weapon. The boom is meant to be something other than a concentration breaker though, so it should de enough damage to at least be semi useful. 3 was fine for this.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

First let me say that I'm a bit unsure of the 'thrown rock' theory myself. I mean the Monk has to go through training just to punch someone. Something to think about.

Second, one of the thoughts on the Backstab/Boom debait is that the backstab is 'target specific'. You can not have a charged Backstab waiting for the first person to look away. You can walk out the door, charge a Boom, walk around all day, and hit the first viable target, at range, that you chose. I was in favor of having both at 2, but ultimately Chris pulled rank and made the final decision.

~the Lunatic fringe~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The difference between a rock, a dagger, a polearm, and a long sword is reach. The damage being the same on the melee weapons is countered by the increased reach (Which intern decreases danger of being hit).

A throwing rock is a ranged weapon. I could, in theory, throw a spell packet/rock physrep across the field at someone with their back turned and do as much damage as a sword with none of the danger.

I think being hit with a rock would be enough to break concentration but not enough to cause damage. When a rock would be enough to cause damage would be if the thrower has enough skill to hit a "Soft" spot
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I think the 'target specific' piece is quite well compensated for by having the charge time be twice as much for a boom. That makes a significant difference in combat, where 10 seconds can feel like all day. Combined with how easy it is to disrupt a charged effect, I think the reduced boom damage is not neccesary.

Regarding rocks, I think Wayne and Todd make sense, but I also like the idea that if you get hit with a rock, you should take a point of damage. I think it adds an interesting element to combat, and gives everyone the opportunity for a minor ranged attack, which I don't think is unreasonable.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I was out voted :P

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I see

Post by Nelkie »

Ok, I agree with what Eric and Vince is saying with the elf boom.

On the rock issue, keep it simple, everything does 1 damage. It is easy to deflect in coming rocks with shields, a rock thrower has to have the phisereps on them, and find them after the battle, (not easy). It also will help if a damage is called out with the thrown rocks, because it is hard to feel if you are hit with a piece of foam wrapped in duck tape.

What is the time line or schedule when the new rules will be released? There is 10 1/2 days left before the event, and it would be nice to have a chance to review the new rules and get questions answered at least 1 week before the event.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I understand, and agree on the rock thing. I think thats the way were leaving it. Elf Boon, right now it stands as is, but well review it one last time to be sure, and then let you know.
I'm working my ass off trying to get the rule book done by the weekend.