April 4th Updates

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

HAHAH, i didn't notice that Todd posted that April of THIS year and it just got reposted to. I thought those were updates for an event scheduled for NEXT april
Moo.
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Oops.....Nevermind.......

Well, I'm retarded....
Lost my train of thought.....
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

Call me a noob, but it seems to me (I may have missed something) that all the other LP expenditure abilities are 1 life. Granted I play a Dwarf so I'm not completely impartial. However, a starting dwarvin arcane will have 4 life, so that the delivery of the poison would be at least 1 point of life...I' sure you all see where the rest of this is going, the punch line is that when someone has so few LP there is a big differance between 1/2 of your life and 3/4 of your LP.

I think I'm starting to ramble on so I'll stop now and come back latter :lol:
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

OK....Here's some history:

If I remember right, the dwarven resist poison was set at 1 LP back when poison damage was applied immediately and then every minute there after. So, at minimum, the dwarf was breaking even in LP AND stopping further poison damage (1 LP damage to deliver the poison and 1 LP from the poison damage). This was deemed too powerful for a racial boon. Then we were debating having the dwarf spend a LP per level of the poison but that is tough to calculate in battle and really goes against the simplicity requirement of a good LARP mechanic. So we split the difference between a level 1 poison and a level 4 poison and made it cost 2 LP.

Now, poison damage is not applied until after the first minute so the dwarf has to calculate wether or not he can get to a healer in time. I guess we could always make a slight modification and say the dwarf can resist poison at any time while under the effects of the poison. So they could wait and resist it right before the damage is taken if they cant find a healer.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

It got into the book as two LP's?

I thought it was 1 LP.

I lobbied for 1 LP.

Actually I lobbied for harden Skin

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

naw i checked the book and its 1. the actual update was made after todd started this thread
Moo.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

Here's a thought, for next season of course. How about, instead of spending a LP to RESIST the effect of the poison, have the poison effect slowed for dwarves?

For instance, have the poison damage count off every 2 minutes for dwarves insted of every minute. This would keep a weak poison from instantly takeing out a dwarven arcane, but keep the spirit of poison being detrimental and also the dwarvin resistance.

Once again, only a thought.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

We could do that but what do we do about the following:

Posion sleep

And ofcourse say a posion 10

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Poison 10?!? Screw that!

Chris, remind me again, what can deal out poison 10? That way I will know when to stay in the car. :)
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

So what you are saying is if you want to play a dwarf, don't bother playing an empath, or a sage.

With the number of bowmen and alcemist in the game a new char. can EASILY call out "2 vorpal, poison 2", or "2 vorpal, sleep" so that the non-combative dwarf has the choise of not useing his/her boon and dieing, or useing their boon and...dieing. Great choise! This from the people whom are unwilling to give a +1 to two-handed weapons mainly to avoid one shot kills to empaths and sages?

We need to talk. If I have done something to upset you let me know, but don't gimp me!

If resisting poison for 1 LP is to powerful ( I don't believe it is. In two events I've been poisoned once, and that was between events.) then change the boon, because every other race can use their boon for 1LP or for free.

Are you saying that being able to pump out extra damage ( elf and vakkin' vi) or resisting fear (guthri) or regenerating damage w/o a healer (ga'vin) is less powerfol than resisting poison? Well the alchemist don't have to worry about being "under-powered" any more, they can kill ANYONE stupid enough to play a dwarf. "Well I just hit you with poison. You can die now or wait a few minutes."

What? Noone else even gets the option to resist poison? Well dwarves don't get flee either.

In sutch a low powered game (low damage, low HP) You are asking dwarves to take the damage of a warrior's hit EVERY time they use their boon on top of the damage thay took to get poisoned in the first place.

Please explain to me how this is, in any way, fair or balanced.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

First of all, LIGHTEN THE F%&K UP!!! If you are going to take mechanics as a personal attack, then DO NOT play this game. Next, read the date this thread was started. APRIL 2004. Finally, read the dwarf boon in the updated rulebook available on the website. Hell, I'll post it here:

Boon: Poison Resistance. The Dwarves are a hardy folk. Used to a hard days work, and a hard night of revelry. Due to the carousing nature of the short folk they have built up a bit of a tolerance for the drinks and toxins they expose their systems to nightly. In terms of game mechanics, this means that should a Dwarf find himself exposed to a poison he may spend a life point to ignore the effect.

I'm Done
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

EDIT: Wayne just beat me to it.

McEwan,

This is the CURRENT Dwarf as per the rules.

Dwarf
Boon: Poison Resistance. The Dwarves are a hardy folk. Used to a hard days work, and a hard night of revelry. Due to the carousing nature of the short folk they have built up a bit of a tolerance for the drinks and toxins they expose their systems to nightly. In terms of game mechanics, this means that should a Dwarf find himself exposed to a poison he may spend a life point to ignore the effect.
Starting Life: 2 life
Size: Small Size
Description: The dwarven people are a stoic race, one that has been around as long as the mountains, and in the case of many mountain ranges in today’s Phantara, longer. Recently, their numbers have dwindled and many of their great cities under the mountains have been destroyed, but yet their spirits have soared with rumors of an ancient and powerful ally awakening in the deeps below the surface of the world. The dwarven people are a hearty folk, strong, proud, and staunch allies in combat. They are also stubborn to a fault and are slow to change their minds on any topic. They distrust other races, though they have a number of dealings with them in trade and get along best with Guthries, which the Dwarves seem to view with pity.
Costume requirements: Dwarven skin is weathered and reddened from the forge fires of their homes and thus players must use red to reddish brown face paint. Normally dwarves are also seen with beards, which are often ornamented with small tokens of precious metals and gemstones. Dwarves without such beards are considered to be disgraced among their own kind. For dwarves choosing to wear beards, rosy cheeks will do, whereas beardless dwarves should paint their whole face. Females typically have wispy sideburns.

So, the Dwarf can resist Poison Effects for 1LP. The original post for this tread was from April, and has been changed since.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

Yep read that, also all the post that were blowing off any concerns or suggestions I made.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

LOL someone is prickly today. Wayne's right, you can't take rules concerns as personal attacks. And the only time people start ignoring the suggestions of others is when they freak out and start trippin'. Relax. make your points clear and concise without the extra huffiness and you'll see much better results. The dwarf boon is definitely not underpowered, it negates a 4th level discipline for a life point, remember at this point a 4th level alchemist can make 4 level 4 poisons a year. I'd say thats pretty damn powerful.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Ok...what thread are you looking at? Within 24 hours you had a clarification that it was one Life point not 2 and a complete history of how the rule was created. I think that is pretty damn informative.

Your second idea was responded to by Chris. We are not blowing you off, just challenging you. If you want to change a rule, you need to provide us with data to support the change that is better than the playtesting data we have gathered. Show us numbers, then we will play test them. LARP is different than table top. Just because you have experience in tabletop RPG writing doesnt make you a good LARP mechanics author.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite