Knockout question

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Knockout question

Post by dier_cire »

From the new wording it looks like knockout is a non combat only skill? Just wanted to make sure I read it accurately. Not sure if this was the case previously or not.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Not the case at all. It reads:

Basic Knockout (51)
The Rogue can charge a Three (3) Knockout for 10 seconds. To perform a knockout the player must hit a player in any legal target area with a tiny weapon or a hand phys rep and call the # and knockout. If the player is not in an active combat situation, they may lightly touch their target with the pommel of a weapon to perform the knockout. If the target has three points of armor or less at the time of the knockout, that character falls unconscious for five minutes. See Knockout on page 36 for more information.

Its both. In combat you cannot use your pommel but out of active combat you can. Its a safety issue
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I'd really like to see the Assassin's Death touch with the same wording.
Travis Cole
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

That meaning the 'strike with your pommel' part of the sleep call for touch of death?
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

yes exactly.
Travis Cole
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

gotcha. For some reason I was thinking they could only touch with the pommel. Is there a beneift to the pommel thing, or is this just for old time sake? Do players want this option? Personally, I'd rather always be hit with the stiking end of the weapon.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

The reason the handle tap stayed is strictly role playing in a non-combat situation so people can feel 'in the moment.'

In a combat situation where you are sneeking up on someone to knock them out it's strike zone of weapon only, because people could move unexpectedly, you could swing harder than you intended, someone could have poked a hole in the bottom of your sword filling it with rusty nails... or other crazy things. So, the moral of the story is: be safe, and error on the side of caution.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

So in other words, it's in their because that's the way it used to be. Got it.

*shrug* Still don't see the point, but eh.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

If you have your weapon in hand but not your fist phys-rep, it’ll be faster/easier to use the pommel approach.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Knock them out with the tag aye... ;)
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Amagus wrote:If you have your weapon in hand but not your fist phys-rep, it’ll be faster/easier to use the pommel approach.
How? Or is the tiny weapon requirement waved on the pommel approach (should "a weapon" be "any weapon")? I read (past tense) it as, you have to have either a fist or tiny weapon always, ie no using a long sword for knockout. Thus, it'd be just as fast to use the blade of the dagger as it would to turn it around and use the pommel. The pommel thing was only for acting...