Fence problems

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Fence problems

Post by dier_cire »

Had a discussion last night about fence and currently fence has been reduced to a first level skill. Before there was at least a reason to get higher levels in it for access to better items (magic at 4th is cool). Now a fence can get anything, but it just may cost more. Cost isn't really a big deterrent since at most you are paying double. That just means you have to work a little harder / be a little greeder than before.

Also, without an economy how does anyone determine 60% of an arbeitrary value? At least in a normal economy there is a average to base prices off of. It can only lead to pissing off a pc.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Too late, fence sucked before and it just got worse, Eric is right on with this one, until there is a symblance of an economy a % saving based on the level is kinda silly.

Fence: "I am looking for some good silks"
Merchant: "Yes I have those, currently I would trade a weeks worth of food or enough steel for approximately 1\5 suit of armor for a bolt of silk"
OOG: About 1 token each
Fence: "Surely you could work a better deal than that, pssst I'm a 2nd level fence"
Merchant "Well, I might see my way to offer you, mmm hold on let me do the math, that'd be approimately 3 1\2 days of food or approximately enough for 1\8 a suit of armor.
Fence: OOG wait I'm confused so you want 70% of my tag?

If and when a coin economy comes about it may be a little easier but even then values could fluctuate greatly depending on who you talk to. Fence definitely needs to be more defined, I still haven't been told how to use it really and I guess that's my fault because I don't hound you guys about stuff. Apparently it's been a great boon for some, I'll just start asking for outraeous stuff and see what I actually get.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:Eric is right on with this one.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Peace420 wrote:I'll just start asking for outrageous stuff and see what I actually get.
I think that's how the skill does work, currently. :D
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

With out coming off too hoyty-toyty, we put all the information in game last year that is required to jump-start an economy. The PC's just havent inacted it yet. Starting the first event, and running thru after that, we'll be handling a good portion of the economy via NPCs and Plots. We (NPC Camp) already have a structured economy, and the Fence fits into it real well. The idea for the Fence is very similar to that of a Pawn Shop. Want Cash? X amount. Want a Trade? X amount. Want me to find a Specific item? X amount. As for keeping up with who is currently Trading what, we've addressed that with a new checkin system. We will be more readily able to keep up with each characters intentions.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Fence

Post by Nelkie »

Reaaly, NPC's have a structured ecomeny? That is news to me. I have been asking for things since day 1 with Fence 4 and have been told, next event we will have fence solved. Come back next event. I have been able to make some deals, but than questions come up on how I was able to X magic items or so many resources.
This might be the first event when I can do good trading.

The information provided to the PC's for starting up an encomeny is very vague. I have gem listing, a sample of a writ. and suggestions for money tokens.

But that means nothing unless there is something to buy with resources. I have 40 metal. What can that get me, armor or weapons. I have 30 wood, that can get me what?? Unless there is something that can be bought or built with the resources they become useless. Once a person has the armor they want, weapons that they need and enough resources to feed themselfs what else do PC need resources for?

I have tried to trade my extra resources for magic items, labs, etc, but all have been denied. I have resources of 12 people to trade with and I'm a level 4 fence and I get nothing.

To get an ecomeny going PC's need to understand the cost of itmes, building, animals, etc that the outside world is willing to trade for. I have been trying to get that information together, but for 4 events I have gotten nothing.

So, in my humble opinion the change to fence has made it more useless and pointless to get higher levels past level 1.

PC's can not get an ecomeny going with out costing information from the NPC's. Basicly the NPC need to have the ecomeny established and the PC's need to implement it with in the town. It can't be the other way around.
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Aaron, I think the point of what Todd was saying (and I haven't been to the meetings so correct me if I am wrong) is that NPC's will in fact be introducing and implementing an economy starting next event. We have one in mind and it will be coming. Our previous hope was that it would happen without our involvement and we gave vague and subtle hints on how to get it done. We will now be taking a more active role in this process and the Fence will be useful within this new system. He did not mean that such a system was active prior to this next event or that there was a standardized way of handling things before now. I hope that is more clear and that I am correct in saying this.

To everyone, thanks again for your patience as we struggle through this process. I know that it can be frustrating at times and everyone is trying their best to help the process along. I am excited that we are finally closer to the end than the beginning and am hopeful that after this overhaul, things will calm down and our rules wil be more or less set.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Talked to Todd yesterday (before Rollin's kick ass spoken word show) and apparently once all of the rules changes are up it'll make much more sense.

If we still don't like it I'm sure we'll be able to get rid of it or drop it to level 1.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Naturally if rule changes lead to disgruntled characters, the shifting of points to other skills would be allowed.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Ahh

Post by Nelkie »

Mike,

Thanks. I will wait and see the completed rules before I voice on them any more. From what I have seen so far, there might be some balancing issue. But I will not know for sure until I see the finished rules with the economy, alchemy, arcane, and standard rules completed
My Thoughts

Aaron