Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Passive Skills (page 33)
Passive skills are those in which a character has at all times without having to do something special to use them. For example, the Warrior gains combat reflexes that act as armor to represent the notion that Warriors can utilize armor better than other types of characters. It is simply a part of who they are. Because of this fact, passive skills are always considered to be in use and thus can be used with all other types of skills at all times.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Ok, so both magic and vorpal become "passive"
Where does it say anywhere that vorpal has become a passive skill? People keep talking about the skill and the utilize poison is about an arrow.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Since when has vorpal been a passive skill and why didn't I get a memo? You have to spend a life point to activate it and all so I've always considered it an active skill....

So someone care to tell the swashbuckler where one thought vorpal was passive?
Last edited by Kidwynn on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

You have to spend an LP to activate Vorpal and it is NOT a passive skill, however, utilize poison is.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Thanks Wayne...

Thought I understood vorpal correctly.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Err my bad, got to typing and miss spoke myself, I did not mean Vorpal was passive, I meant poison…

So then back to what I started this whole question about then.

Since both magic and poison are to be considered "passive" does that then mean they can be used in conjunction with other skills, such as vorpal? I realize that the example is referring to an arrow, but if I am reading "passive" correctly, it would mean that you CAN use poison, once applied, with Vorpal for a whole combat, same with magic.

[Because of this fact, passive skills are always considered to be in use and thus can be used with all other types of skills at all times.]

Hence, a person could swing "2 Vorpal Poison" for a combat, or "2 vorpal Magic" or even "2 vorpal poison magic" if they really wanted to.

If that's the case, then I refer to my earlier post where I said the vorpal-poison for an entire combat is too powerful, especially for a second level discipline.

I guess that’s my non-never-gm two cents on this topic.

-SoCo
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

From what I've read, yeah, both poison and magic can stack with any life point or charge up as long as they are activated first. Now, though "12 magic poison backstab" or "5 magic poison vorpal" or "2 magic poison vorpal (continuous)" sound icky, they really aren't all that nasty. The more names you add to a call, the more resists that work against it. Against a player, the magic call only serves to aid the defender as it gives those with a resist magic an out. Poison doesn't work on dwarves.

As well, these calls are exceptionally slow to call out. If you hit someone 5 times but only get out one call, it's still only one hit. And generally people try to slur it all out so the defender has absolutely no idea what the other person is saying (which is really annoying and I know I've done it on occasion).

ex. the magic poison swash vs. regular swash. = reg swash wins (all things being equal) Why? Parry evens out the hits and the regular swash will hit more times due to less lengthy call.

12 poison backstab is the only really nasty one and it's countered by armor. Just don't get caught in a combat with low armor and someone behind you. Again, mass melees have decreased of late, so this one is less frequent.

Ultimately, a poison swash (and many other things) will lose 100% of the time to another (though expensive) combo. Granted, it does have its share of counter builds
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

There is a reason Healers cure poison, even on themselves...
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

just to reply to Matt, a healer would not be able to cure poison themself.. it is a counted action, therfore a charge ability, which can not be used while poisoned.

And while I agree a Swashbuckling assassin would be very nasty in a fight, especially mass combat.. once the enemy realizes what they are doing.. how long do you think they would last? The only real fear here is PC to PC fights against such a character.. The Gm's can always counter any build in the game with just the right creature or villian.. and while swinging vorpal poison is a nasty ability you have to remember that it is a 2nd level and 4th level ability doing it.. so it does require some investment.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Ian_McAllister wrote:just to reply to Matt, a healer would not be able to cure poison themself.. it is a counted action, therfore a charge ability, which can not be used while poisoned.
Course, are timed skills really meant for charge up rules (and should they be)? Assuming this, torture could be performed without even touching the person or them knowing until they hit the ground unconscious (course this one would be the same regardlass as it's very loosely worded). A sage could never give more than a single person augment and if the sage is hit they'd lose the augment. As well, single person healing could be charged before a battle even begins...

I have to say again that lengthy timed based skills should not be considered charge ups (ie Healer, Sage, Alchemy, Arcane, Craftsman, plus a few select skills). They don't fit well into that rule system.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

While I do agree that some of the lengthier skills may need to be put in their own category, I was merely pointing out that as of the current rules something like the Healers Cure Poison would be a charged skill, therefore unable to be used while poisoned.

Perhaps the lengthier skills could be looked at during this season and a more comprehensive change made next year, Gm's willing of course.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ok people are going a little nuts.

IMO no you cannot cure your own posion. Infact when I proposed the posion change I never thought a healer could cure themselves. Nor do I feel an arcane or alchemist can do their skills while posioned.

Now as for the other comments there is a difference between charged skills and these other skills in 1 way. When you complete the time nessissary the action is also completed. Example, when you finish cure posion...posion is cured. When you finish casting a spell the spell goes off. When you finish brewing a potion you are done.

Now as for the backstab skill when you finish charging the backstab the skill does not go off until you use the backstab.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I this is slightly going on a tangent again, but are we saying that if you are and alchemist and have potions brewing and then get hit with poison that it somehow breaks the potions and you have to start over?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

no

Im saying you are not brewing if you are posioned
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

He's saying that if you have potions brewing, then the timed event has already finished.

But you may not START brewing while poisoned.

Is that correct?
Travis Cole