Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Post by WayneO42 »

Changes to Utilize Poison

Utilize Poison
Assassins are adept at coating weapons in poison. Only bladed weapons (sword, dagger, axe, arrow, spear, etc) can be coated in poison. The poison coating a weapon lasts for the duration of combat or until the assassin sheaths or sets down the weapon. A strike from a weapon that is coated in poison has the call “Poison” amended to it. Example: “1” becomes “1 poison” and “1 Vorpal” becomes “1 Vorpal Poison”. It takes 1 minute to coat a weapon with poison and a poison potion is not required to use this skill. Only the Assassin may use a poison coated weapon. This skill can only be used to coat weapons in poison and cannot be used to poison drinks or create poison potions.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Post by Eli »

WayneO42 wrote:a poison potion is not required to use this skill. [/i]
That's cool, they are just assumed to have poision? WOW. so, is it every swing then for combat?

1 poison over and over, or the first hit for a full combat.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Ewww...that's kinda sick.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Its every swing for the duration of combat and then another count would need to be made to re-apply the poison.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

double WOW, that is sweet!!!!

the thing is, it kindof makes them somthing to be feared in mass combat.

can you be a warrior assassin? so rage-poison? with lots of armor, and a shield, etc?

or would that be one of the things you cannot do while raged?

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We may need to add that it cannot be used in conjunction with rage. I dont know if it is that big of an issue though.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Was just thinking of the effect that would have on a mass battle.

A few warrior assassins on NPC side all swinging 2 poison, running around with lot of armor and shields. Suddenly no pc's can use their skills...

When you think of if, even two vorpal poision is scary if they keep calling it over and over, most would have to run.

Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Yep, hense why I said ewwwwwwwwwww
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

As it is written, I would say Utilize poison is a charge up skill and thus cannot be used in conjunction with other charge up (ie rage) or life point (ie vorpal) skills.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Doesn't seem like that much of an advantage in a battle senario. Warriors are unaffected until they lose their armor, by which time they won't last much longer, anyway. And if a mage is in a position where he's being stabbed, he's pretty much done for, anyway.

And the concept of poisoned arrows is freakin' awesome.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Ovak Stonecrusher wrote:As it is written, I would say Utilize poison is a charge up skill and thus cannot be used in conjunction with other charge up (ie rage) or life point (ie vorpal) skills.
I don't beleive that is true in the same way enchant weapon can be used with rage... at least in the past it has been once a weapon is coated it was poisoned for one combat and wasn't really an active skill. That's what makes Tim's warrior/pikeman/assasin so nasty and gained Chris' praise, and the only thing we really changed was take away needing a potion to apply the poison.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Though I think that is a pretty big change, but I'm fine either way.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Yes, I agree. Great change, but small in scope. ;)
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Well I will post this here as it applies.. I once asked if when I enchant my wepon for the duration of a battle, if I was able to use other Lp or charge up skills.. I never did get a clear answer and this skill would seem to work the same way. So I was just curious if it could make it into the rules whether the Utilize poison, and enchant weapon skills make it possible to use other skills in conjunction? Thanks.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Assassin: Utilize Poison (pg 61)

Post by Eli »

WayneO42 wrote:Changes to Utilize Poison

Example: “1” becomes “1 poison” and “1 Vorpal” becomes “1 Vorpal Poison”. It takes 1 minute to coat a weapon with poison and a poison potion is not required to use this skill. Only the Assassin may use a poison coated weapon. This skill can only be used to coat weapons in poison and cannot be used to poison drinks or create poison potions. [/i]

Um, just reading this example makes it clear that if assassin “coats” his blade in poison, then activates vorpal...

So all that armor a big strong warrior is wearing is ineffective… Thus he will prevent warriors from using rage, parry, etc. So... how does that not hurt the front line of warriors?

Then if he gets past them, he hits: Empaths and healers… so no booms no healing (which means no removing the poison)

It seems like an infinite amount of poison on the blade for a combat makes them a mass battle key, rather than a hidden threat.

Mind I may be confused about how poison works, and need to re-read that section again. Let me get back to you... after I re-read that again.
Last edited by Eli on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.