Scout Discipline Changes

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Scout Discipline Changes

Post by WayneO42 »

Ok...here are the new changes to the Scout Discipline. Nows the time to add Comments, questions, death threats, etc.

Level 1: Scout
A character can spend 15 minutes scouting in the woods to receive information about a specific plot, puzzle, or general information about woodland activity in the area. The character is not guaranteed to find information. Up to three characters with the scout skill may work together to receive a better piece of information. After the fifteen minutes of scouting is up, the character(s) must go to NPC camp to receive their information. If more than one character is scouting as a group, they must all come to NPC camp together.

Level 2: Combat Reflexes
A Scout knows how to take blows and avoid them, thus making him/herself tougher to take down. These combat reflexes are simulated through the use of armor points. A Scout receives 2 points of armor from this skill and stacks with all other armor gaining skills.

Armor points gained through this skill are not counted when calculating armor category and an armor phys-rep does not need to be worn. In addition, armor points gained through this skill can be regained if the Scout rests for 5 minutes. While resting, the Scout cannot use any other skill nor perform strenuous actions.

Level 3: Flee
A character with this skill can spend a life point to Flee. When this skill is used the character must call “flee” and run away from combat for 10 seconds. A character cannot enter combat while using this skill, nor can they return to combat before finishing the flee. While fleeing the character is immune to all attacks issued to the rear, including damage, fear, root, taunt, etc. All attacks to the front are taken and disrupt the flee skill.

Level 4: Haven
Given enough time the scout can create a safe haven in the wilderness. Once in the haven the scout is free from attack. The scout cannot fight while standing in the haven. Creating a haven takes fifteen minutes and can be incorporated into the time it takes to set up the phys-rep. For game purposes no matter what the size of the phys-rep, it may only hide the Scout, one other person, and their immediate gear. Haven's must be physically represented by a tent, lean-to, or similar structure.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Not bad. I like the switch in haven and flee for Flee was once the 4th level of it.

Humm...what about the wilderness survival aspect of Scout?
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Wilderness survival is gone from scout. If you want to play more of a ranger type with wilderness survival, you could always pick it up through druid
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Nope, never really took it for that with this character in the first place. Just figured I'd ask the question.

:P
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Not a threat, just a simple fact of life.

Looks great, by the way.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Dredge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Dredge »

Flee looks a lot better as third ability for power level, and one extra person for haven makes haven a much more useful ability.

I do kind of wonder if someone is going to have the hidden healing hut though... or the torture tent... or the crafting cave... or the advice abode...
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

Level 1 scout - This is the sage master skill (Hint) only limited to wilderness areas. Seems kind of powerful for a level 1 ability. How would it work if a sage was using there hint ablitiy and level 1 scout ability. Would it take 30 minutes or just 15 minutes. Would the sage count as 2 people than or just one?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Not as powerful as you think.

They must walk in the woods for 15 minutes where they can be attacked by wandering monsters, and then the information is much more limmited than a sage hint (and usually won't even have cards).

Might be as general as "In the area you see more Orc tracks than usual in the southwest," "the wildlife seems more skittish than usual as if something about the forest is unnatural," or "This tree has grown in an odd angle as if the sunlight that nourishes it comes in at an odd angle through the treetops."

Just one... Sage hints are sage based, and Scout hints are scout based. So if a sage scout came in alone he could get both basic hints if he used both abilities.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

And it would take 30 minutes if they want both a scout hint and a sage hint. These don't stack in any way and reveal "wildly" different information. Scout hints will probably still be on cards though.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Oh, I thought Chris had said they wouldn't, but I am cool with cards to keep the skill from giving out information that is too valuable.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Aaron, technically I've been using Scout the way in which Wayne has described for quite awhile. I don't think it's that powerful at all.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The scout hints will be on cards the same way sage hints are. They will be much more limited in scope than sage hints. The power of any "Hint" based skill is determined by the amount of information given.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

LOL...great I better start making more room in my black leather bag...

I'm teasing...but yeah that's cool.
Dredge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Dredge »

Can scouts take along non-scouts while scouting? Not for scouting bonuses, but for protection.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Yes, most certainly
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite