Eater of the Dead and Heart Eating

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Dredge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Eater of the Dead and Heart Eating

Post by Dredge »

This ability is pretty powerful, so I'd like to know the following.

1) Does this work on creatures who are not player available?
ex) Troll falls over, eat its heart, does this give me a racial ability or do I ask for a discipline? Does this accomplish anything at all?

2) If I eat a heart from a creature who has a useless to me racial ability and no disciplines, does it clear out or can I choose to keep the effects from the previous heart I ate?
ex) Eat a human warrior with no disciplines- can't get more human I believe.

3) If I gain an allegiance ability, will it count in any way?

4) I would guess undead are inedible for these purposes doubt they bleed to death nor have 'beating' hearts. Correct?

Thats all for now, unless I come up with more.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

This ability is pretty powerful,
Yep, it is. Its a fourth level discipline.

1) Does this work on creatures who are not player available?
For the most part, no but you can always try it and we will let you know at that time. For non PC races it will be situational
2) If I eat a heart from a creature who has a useless to me racial ability and no disciplines, does it clear out or can I choose to keep the effects from the previous heart I ate?
As it is written now, you would loose the previous ability. I am ok with you being able to pick though. Can another GM jump in here and give an opinion?
3) If I gain an allegiance ability, will it count in any way?
No
4) I would guess undead are inedible for these purposes doubt they bleed to death nor have 'beating' hearts. Correct?
Not Necesarily. See Answer to question 1. If you come across a vampire and can eat its heart, I would encourage it.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

WayneO42 wrote:
As it is written now, you would loose the previous ability. I am ok with you being able to pick though. Can another GM jump in here and give an opinion?
Well, if he uses the ability to eat a heart the new heart's ability supercedes and replaces a previous ability.

Now, that said, you do not need to use that ability to wolf down someone's heart like Hannibal Lector. So, I'd say that if your not using that skill to gain an ability then it doesn't go off at all thus not removing your previous boon.

However, if this ability cannot be willfully deactivated, and is technically always running and dropping another heart down the ol’ wood chipper automatically activates the skill… and then it would. So, the real question is can an Eater of the Dead choose to leave his power dormant and not take the new ability... which my opinion is yes.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I would like to comment that if you eat a non PC heart of a troll say played by me and I give you super regen that does not mean next time you eat the heart of a troll played by me or any other GM staff that you will get the same reward. Infact it would be annoying to argue. I wanted to make that comment because I think that type of inconsistency is a stress point to players.

So basically when you go outside the rules and something happens please don't assume that is a new rule and/or any consistency will occur. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Dredge
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Dredge »

I'd much rather have some inconsistency. Brings a sense of mysticism and foreboding to magical cannibalism, which is probably a good thing.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Well... Isn't all cannibalism a magical experience...? Or is that just me? ;)
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage