Rule Questions # 1

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Rule Questions # 1

Post by Nelkie »

Questions: Why are the elves being smacked down? A 3 boom is not that powerful. Next, can an empath elf move after they charge a boom? Why add complication to the game. Treat the elf just like a level one emapth, but they only do 3 instead of 5. Simple, clean and effiecent.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

reason

Post by Todd »

The Elves arent being 'smacked down'. With the simple addition of a guild skill, any Elf is capable of duplicating the Empaths main ability. Thats the reason for the change. Yes the Empaths ability inludes being able to move with a Boom. The Guild Skills have been revised, allowing for ALL Path guilds. I think you''ll find that the Elven Empaths are still quite formidable. I'll get those deatails up as soon as possible.
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think I would like to get a discussion going about the elven boon before we make an "Official" change. I'm starting to think that an armour restriction on the boon might be the way to go. Anyone?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Elf Boom

Post by Nelkie »

Ok,

Here are the restricitons for an elf boom.

10 count to use
If hit lose the boom
It is only 3 damage

Benifits:
Can wear armor
Magical attack

To make empath better boost the time for an elf boom to a 15 count. Or have the same armor restrictions an empath.
My Thoughts

Aaron
WayneO42
GM

Re: Elf Boom

Post by WayneO42 »

Nelkie wrote: It is only 3 damage.
Only 3 damage :lol: Thats 3 times the damage of a sword
Nelkie wrote:To make empath better boost the time for an elf boom to a 15 count. Or have the same armor restrictions an empath.
After some more thought, I think I like the armour restriction. It is a more elegant rule. It meshes better with what we already have. I didnt like the idea of an elven warrior in full plate getting that first ranged attack before he enters melee. That just seems too huge to me.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

The Elven Boon was a little overpowered before when you factor in that with the simple addition of a guild skill you equal the main skill of a Path. Empaths are allowed to move with a Boom. A non-empath Elf in a Guild designed to boost Empath abilities can end up with an 8 point boom. Therefor exceeding that of the natural Empath. In the revision the Elf can still generate a 3 point Boom, but it requires concentration. If the Elf takes Damage, or Moves it breaks the concentration needed to maintain it. Empaths train themselves to push the limits, and can thus move with them. Other Paths who would like to harness this ability can do so, by purchasing the required 'cross-path' skill.

lets compare the boons
Aviana - Glide
Dwarf - Poison Resistance
Elf - Boom, 3 pt
Gavin - Re-gen
Gnome - Production
Guthrie - Fear Immunity
Human - Allegance bonus
Orc - Press
Tsuno - Extra minute in Negs
Valken'Vi - Soothsaying

The Elf is the only one with an Offensive/Damaging attack. Granted it takes a charge time. But it has no duration and does instant damage. In all honesty I think it should have both a Movement, and an Armor restriction to bring it more in line with the other boons.

Having the Movement restriction (which is solve by either choosing the Empath Path, or buying into it via Cross-Path) is a minor hinderance that is easily surmounted.

~the Lunatic fringe~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I'm sorry to do this to you Todd, but I agree with you. Why am I sorry then? Because my opinion is usually the one most apt to lose, followed closely by you which makes this a double whammy. Oh well. Here goes.

The elven boon is in fact the most offensive and thus the most powerful boon in game. Because it is offensive, it is used more frequently than any other boon in game. Three damage is in fact a lot in this game or at least it should be (though I know you can swing for more damage with a sword in the amount of time it takes to charge). Thinking about this broader. We encourage racial guilds. What's more potentially game unbalancing, a guild of elves flying around with 3 channels or a group of Avyanas who specialize in getting away from traps or dwarves who specialize in defending against poisons or the guthries who specialize against fear or the gnomes who make tinker toys or the gavin who can afford to be a little stupid because they heal a bit faster or Tsunos who can be a lot stupid because they take longer to die, or even the orcs who can specialize in pushing you out of the way, etc.

The point is I don't think a movement restriction is much to ask for, especially in light of Todd's other points.

Mike
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

First I don't believe you can get 8 boom without being an empath. The only guild ability that increases boom is fourth level and increases it by 2. So yes a basic empath and an elf in a guild could be the same, but at the cost of a fourth level guild power. This is not unbalancing.

Personally, I'd go with the armor restriction and increase the time to 15 seconds. It's simple, keeps with the empath skill restrictions and is very non overpowered.

If there was say a first or second level guild ability to remove this restriction, then I see less of a problem. Currently, there aren't many guild abilities that are race specific with the exception of the second hop, so here's your chance to add elf to that list. Granted there's still the rest of the races being screwed, but that's another topic.

And really the elf bonus isn't the most used. The human one is. It's passive and is great for house / guild heads (since most will have level 2 beuracrat anyway). Also the tsunotaur boon has been great to me. Not so much in that I've used it, but I don't worry so much in combat as I have quite awhile before I need to worry about dying. It's peace of mind insurance.

The dwarven one will be very cool too, as it's resisance to death insurance again. The orc ability is ok, but I have yet to see an npc block our way in the woods well enough to be useful. In caves however it would become handy for flanking.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

As I said; With the addition of guild skills you can get to 8. I will attempt to get the Guild skills up tonight. If not look for them tomorrow.

Also again; This can be over come by Cross-Path skill purchases.

~the Lunatic fringe~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Not to be an ass, but why are the guild bonuses being gone over when the rules aren't even done? Finish one first. It'll make debuging the next much easier.

Has it been decided whether or not you want guilds to be path/discipline or race based yet? That's more or less the first question to be answered. Basically, the race based idea doesn't work if you don't want superfriends. This is due to the simple fact that a single race guild will have different archtypes in it, thus instant superfriends. Switch it to single path getting a bonus and poof warriors guild. The guild system needs a lot more than just some more bonuses.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

You got questions, we got answers!
Guild Skills are a portion of the Rulebook, and need to be balanced with everything else. I'm making the updates as I can, the Guild skills where moved up in the priority list because Nelkie asked about the Elves. Were just trying to make this as PC freindly as possible. In order to avoid jumping around, everyone would have to hold all questions till the end. But questions are being asked, and in our eagerness to please.. we answer.

Has it been decided whether or not you want guilds to be path/discipline or race based yet?
Yes it has. We've rounded off the basic list of Guild Skills. The skills available allow for 'Superfreinds' Guilds, as well as 'Straight-forward Path' Guilds. (as I said I'll get em up ASAP) The 6th level is still Race dependant, but we've worked in insentives for Path based skills thru-out. Each Path has a Path specific skill at each level. Now this isnt to say that you cant round out a Guild by 'mixing' it up a bit. All and all, I think its very strong. Time will tell.

~the Lunatic fringe~