Reattach limb

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kittien
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kittien »

Very well said, I feel the same way we should be able to bring a person back from the dead. Even if that means growing a limb back. Chris you said it would be cool to role-play having only one arm/lag. Well think of all the atmosphere regrouping a head or arm/lag would give. Not to mention anything for how fun it would be to get people to role play it out.

If there's going to be all this tacking and slashing heads and things, I believe there needs to be a mechanic for it. Bottom line I think that there needs to be something there even if it is just a 5 second counter focus.
Death will walk with me before the day is done!
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Ok to add my two cents in as I had been thinking about this and tossing some ideas around before hand..

I believe there may need to be 2 calls perhaps added..

1. 10-15 second count.. "I sever your (add limb or head here)".. but this can only be done while the target is incapacitated or feigning incapacitation..

Example 1: B-ko sees C-ko laying on the ground not moving.. walks over to C-ko and counts to 10-15.. says " I sever your left arm" and walks away.. C-ko now has one less arm.

Example 2: For clarification: Same scenario, but as B-ko walks away C-ko jumps up and hits B-ko in the back, yelling "haha, I was faking".

In my opinion C-ko would still lose an arm in either scenario..

Also for clarification, Incapacitated would be described as Unconcious, Dead, tied up, sleeping..if I missed anything some others might think of please add.

As for my second call, and I am sure people may get up in arms from this but this is my opinion.. I think that there should be a call to desecrate someones body badly enough they could not use that body for ressurection, given enough time.. I was thinking at least an uninterrupted 5-10 minutes..

Given enough time I believe someone would be able to destroy, desecrate, chop up, burn, etc.. a body to make it useless for ressurection..

So the call would be uninterrupted count (unknown time) and "I destroy your body"..

As for the re-attachment of limbs, I would say just re-add something in Surgery that allows a Master Healer to repair, re-attach limbs.. including the head.. that way when they prepare the body for ressurection (If that is the way things will go in the future, so I have heard), it will just be another step in the process.. I also think it would make for great RP as the group attempts to hunt for a lost head of a comrade.. hehe.

So I wouls like to know how people feel about this, and any possible critiques?
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I still think chopping off a limb requires a dead body or inheritly has it within it. Since you can just say "I slit your throat, you're dead" then count to 15 and say "I remove your leg". Sure, some people are still alive and want not in real life but for the sake of simplicity, it avoids many complications and special rules by requiring someone to be dead. And the reason for the 15 count is that is the exact time it takes someone to be beyond the sugury limit.

Obviously, if someone is unconscious/tied up, they can become dead very fast anyway.

Now if you want Gimpy the one legged townsperson, just have the surgeon not re-attach the leg after healing them. Basically, you knock him out, remove the leg, use surgury to res his butt (ie the guy goes into cardiac and is brought back since removing a limb is a violent procedure) and during that time the surgeon just doesn't attach the limb.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

mechaincs

Post by Nelkie »

This is how I view how it should work

To remove a limb the person must be unconious or dead. You need a sharp weapon and just say I just X limb off. Please note the removal of the head is a killing blow

To resurect a person you need their torso and head

Surgery: A master healer can reattach servered limbs. It takes X minutes to do so. Note: can only attach the victims limb back on, can not remove a limb from another person and attach it to orginal victim. No mixing of limbs. Must reattach limb within 24 hours of removal it cannot be done.

Have a 4th level alchmey potion that is very expensive that allows a person to regrow a limb, expect for the head.

Note: if the head is destroyed, burnt, crushed, etc, the person is permently dead

If people want, you can an arcane spell that reconstruces a head from a piece of the orginal head, than a special alchmey potion regrows the flesh of the head, than the healer attachs the head back onto the body, and than the empath resucrets the person.

A new disapline can be created (call if florin) which allows a person with surgery to mix limbs of people and monsters and other Florin type ablities. Have the ablity to regrow lost limbs, etc...
My Thoughts

Aaron
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

1. 10-15 second count.. "I sever your (add limb or head here)".. but this can only be done while the target is incapacitated or feigning incapacitation..
I already hate the I slit your throat you're dead thing this is even worse IMO. Just because you can spill a couple of words out of your mouth in record time doesn't mean that you should be able to slit someones throat thats just sitting there and standing over someone who's feigning sleep or whatever and silently counting and then spilling out a short phrase is totally bogus. There is no way in hades that you're gonna start cutting on someones arm and have it taken off in the time it takes to say "Iseveryourleft arm" The count for both should be of the old school style, "1 + action" in this case "1 I slit your throat, 2 I slit..." or "1 I sever your left arm" and it needs to be outloud. Like Chris did when he tried to cut my arm off with a staff, no Chris, I'm never gonna let you live that down. :lol:
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

You cannot doing a killing blow to a person who is awake. You can only do a killing blow on an unconious person. FH does not have any counted actions. It is all time based. If the saying I cut off you limb to an unconious person or a dead person is to quick, than have it take it 30 sec to 5 minutes. I really do not want to see another rule added when it can be done within the current mechanics.
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

we're adding a rule regardless. Also slitting of a throat does not kill the person. It just reduces the counter to 15 seconds. Btw, currently, you cannot say "I chop off your arm" and have it mean anything. There's no rule saying you can do this.

I really don't see the need for a whole bunch of complexity in getting limbs back. It's unecessary junk that really adds nothing to the game. Coming back from death should be tough, not coming back whole. (Now for plots though, sure)

I say keep the limb thing simple. Have it a new rule (as it has to be) that requires the person to be dead (if you were unconscious this would wake your ass up, and it's easier rules wise). Make it a counted action. Limb is removed. If rezed, the limb comes back. Obviously you have to have enough of the person to rez (ie more than 50%).

Now if during surgury, limbs are left off or what not (up to the (evil)surgeon), then bummer. Maybe a potion exists or talk to Florin...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

slitting the throat DOES kill the person. That's why it's called a killing blow on page 105. If you are unconcious, it works. This includes asleep.
Travis Cole
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Chris tried to cut off someone's arm with a staff? O.o
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

The surgen has 15 sec's to get to a person to bring them back once they have died with out the requirement of a resurection. That is what Mr Reid was referring to.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

To Erik: as we had discussed a while ago in chat I am quite fine with the sever limb call to be out loud.. and I do not see this as being unecessarily cumbersome.. although I would be more for a slow count 1..2..3..4..then saying "I sever x limb".. as the count is for the actual action.. they can say the "I sever" part as fast as they want as the count is when they actually perform the action.. but I would agree an outloud count would be appropiate.

As for Killing Blow a.k.a "Islityourthroat".. It states in the rules that you merely have to touch the intended victim and say "I slit your throat, you are dead".. and you "officially" die in 15 seconds..

All in all I really do think there should at the very least some rule to deal with the rampant Head Chopping that has happened in the last couple games.. both in a way to do it, and the penalities thereof.

As for ressurection, if need be simply take out the necessity for a complete body.. but that could add possible other complications..

Also to Nelkie I would be against you having to have a Sharp object to take a person's limb.. Although I keep saying sever, I mean more to destroy/sever.. I think if you had a nice big hammer you could just as easily destroy someones arm in the time you could sever it.. And no I do not want to get into the physics of that, I am trying to simplify it for rules purposes..
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

"I slit your thraot your dead" Only works if the person your perform it on does not move or react. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually, I was refering to the fact that slitting the throat does NOT instantly kill someone:
To administer a killing blow, you simply must touch the intended victim and say, "I slit your throat, you're dead."
The target must be unconscious to administer a killing blow and the victim officially dies in fifteen seconds.
By this rule, the surgeon has 30 seconds to reach someone. Basically, slitting the throat is the same as knocking someone into negatives then waiting for 45 seconds. After slitting the throat they are at "bleeding to death" status.

As to the bladed weapon, I have no issue with that requirement. There is already a precedence for this limitation (swashbuckler), and it if you want to do it, carry a dagger. How many people in a fanstasy world should be without a knife of some form anyway?
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Fun

Post by Nelkie »

The way I see it, a healer can fix and heal a mangeled destroyed limb if it is still attach to the body. That is why I said a sharp object needs to used to fully remove the limb.

A point of interest, why is there a need for a long count to cut of a limb. In many movies and anima people get their limbs cut off with a swing of a sword. To keep it easy, have remove limb just like the slitting a person throat in mechanic purposes.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

GM_Chris wrote:"I slit your thraot your dead" Only works if the person your perform it on does not move or react. :)
Right but my point is that if I'm pretending to be dead on a battlefield and durng the batlle someone runs by me and pauses for a split second and spills out "Isliturthroaturded" which I have seen happen atleast 2x (the quickpause spill words out part) then you don't have time to react before the person gets the wortds out and is running off again.

And the reason I included the quote in my last post was because it included feigning death and not just unconscious. I also included the action in the count so that the player pretending to be dead will know what you are counting for, if they think you are charging a skill they will most likely react very differently than if they know you're trying to kill them or remove a limb, they may even be charging their own skill while laying there and they would also know at that point that their charge has been interrupted.

Oh and like a few people have pointed out resists are often the same or higher especially if they are immunities to a life point skill. Immunity to a life point skill should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be higher, thats just common sense.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!