Reattach limb

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Reattach limb

Post by GM_Chris »

Where in the book is this skill because I cannot find it.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

The field ruling has been if you have the intact limb, you can hold it to the severed region, and surgically reattach then heal the damage. We have never been able to regrow a limb (or eye). I would be happy to experiment on Robert or your dwarf should you continue to be curious.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I thought for sure we had a skill in master healer at one point that had rules for reatching limbs.

You mean this has been a field ruling for years?? LOL

Oh boy here comes some changes
Chris
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Hey Vince, What was the amount of time required? and the number of LP to be healed?

Was this just performed at the time of surgery and the 2 overlapped?
i.e. The character was wounded and the limb removed. The healer took the limb and reattached it by performing surgury. All LP were healed.

or...

Has anyone ever had a limb reattached IG long after the limb was lost? i.e. Has it ever been used where the character lost a limb. Was healed. Was at full LP when the limb was found. Then tried to 're-graft' the appendage on?
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

There isn't even a rule in the book to truely disarm/disleg...if you will, anyone in this fashion. So putting foreth debate on the fact that there is no rule in the book for reattaching a limb is somewhat moot. :)
deceased
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Ravinal wrote:There isn't even a rule in the book to truely disarm/disleg...if you will, anyone in this fashion. So putting foreth debate on the fact that there is no rule in the book for reattaching a limb is somewhat moot. :)
This is a very good point. There is no need for rules governing attaching a limb unless you first write up rules governing removal...

Of course, Eater of the Dead can eat flesh, heart and brain.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Exactly, this is probly more of a 'post-mortem' rule. Character was killed and dismembered now we want to bring him back kinda thing. Just need to know if it has happened at all in the past.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Reattaching heads would fall into this catagory
Chris
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Ravinal hit the central issue. Dismemberment has been very rare and an attack feature of some monsters.

I have never tried to reattach a head, I thought the only person in game I ever saw do that had some special object or mojo as I asked about it once and was told it wasn't possible (field ruling #2).

Yeah Todd, we applied it as surgery. If we had the limb laying around, we considered it damage that could be repaired, same as if someone took a 30 boom to the chest and had a big gaping hole. I don't recall your re-grafting after having been healed to full example ever happening.

We need rules for severing followed by reattachment. The head thing is the central issue, and needs perma-death conditions. For example, if your head is severed and can't be reattached within time frame X, you are screwed. Even though all your body is present, you are gone.

I don't think limbs should be permanently lost. If one is lost then the person is healed to full, they should be able to have their arm (or a suitably fresh replacement) reattached.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Ravinal
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ravinal »

Indeed, having to stuff one arm into your shirt or leaping around on one leg for the remainder of the character existence would very much bite for game play.
deceased
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'm still stuck on the "I chop off your head/arm/leg" call then the surgeon making it to the person within the time limit (15 seconds before official bleed to death, I'm considering this call a killing blow since it doesn't exist). Currently, they just get the arm/leg/head back.

Ex:
PlayerA falls from damage
Monster: "I cut off your head"
(PlayerA now has 15 seconds to bleed to death, amazingly with no head)
PlayerB now makes it to PlayerA and begins surgury
At end of surgury, head is reattached and Player may continue on as normal.

We've created the problem in that we've been using "cut off your head/arm/leg" as a special call and it's not.

If it is going to be one, are arms and legs going to be handled differently than heads (as seems to be the precedent)

The big issue this creates is if you cannot use surgury/healing without a full body, it makes chopping off a limb a way to ensure perma death...

Ultimately, I'd like to see no removing of limbs until death has occured. This action would then take like a 15 count. This would elimintate the screwing of the healer's surgury skill.

Now monster's taking limbs would constitute a special scenario and thus special rules explained at that combat (similar to the stone disease ability of the basilisk)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Agree with Erik

As for Ravinal...you know loosing limbs can be a very very cool RP expierence
Chris
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Well, currently anything can be done with a five count, right? A pair of thieves once performed a five count to remove Dallid's ear after knocking him out. Though this was back when 'Regenerate Limb' was a Master Healer ability, so he just regrew it.

Although removing an actual limb would seem a killing blow. So it does make sense to do the 'I-slit-your-throat-you're-dead' thing before chopping the victim up.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We may just want to get rid of the "5 count" and make it a 20 count for everything
Chris
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Or maybe return the regrow limb feature? Or not allow heads to be cut off without some kind of special ability?

I'm finding, as we go on, at least in the last three events, there are WAY too many creatures cutting off/blowing up heads. I guess, in my opinion, it feels overused.

I believe, in the game I played where I first encountered this, it was treated as part of surgery, we had the limb before the time allowed to rez was over, so we re-attached it. NOT mentioned in the rules, but I don't recall what was going on at the time, because it was three or four events ago.

Considering how death is supposibly being made more deadly, by making rezzes harder (Which everyone already knows how I feel about, I'd rather see penalties such as "Treat your abilities and skills like you are starving" or "You are unable to use your left hand." Creative things that promote roleplaying as opposed to the only option being "You are dead. Period."), I hate to see it being easier for some one to die just because someone says "I chop off your head." This should be a special ability, and it shouldn't be instantaneous. What if there was a penalty during rezzing for missing a body part, along the lines of system shock? Missing the head - add an additional red chip, or something like that. So it would still be possible to be brought back, just harder. Also, (I'm sorry, this is a little off track, and may have been mentioned) could we make drawing chips at the beginning of the rezzing instead of at the end?

I don't know how many heads you have chopped off, but it takes some time to hack through that meat, especially considering the spine... :twisted: Unless you have an unnaturally sharp weapon, that is.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.