Resource storage/carrying

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Re: phys rep required

Post by Peace420 »

Trevor Owen wrote:wayne is saying phys rep is required for all of those things if we decide to go that way. If you want a wagon that carries 500 resources, you need a four wheeled wagon that you put your container of resources on.

Cart is two wheeled etc.
So to have a cart or wagon we need to bring a cart or wagon to the game? I can understand wanting most things phys repped but as it stands a well off person IG is going to have to get a uhaul to get his 2 dogs, 3 totes and a wagon to the game. :wink:

Also if you can't overload totes I'd need like 20+ totes just for myself or the house, thats recockulous.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Trevor Owen
GM

Right

Post by Trevor Owen »

Exactly... which is why we probably won't see adventurers with wagons... a few may bring callapsable 2 wheel carts or rickshaws, but I doubt most people will have the ability to bring a wagon... which means most people wont have the ability to move 500 resources around. That is not a bad thing.
Master of witless lore and red herrings
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Peace420 wrote: So to have a cart or wagon we need to bring a cart or wagon to the game? I can understand wanting most things phys repped but as it stands a well off person IG is going to have to get a uhaul to get his 2 dogs, 3 totes and a wagon to the game. :wink:
Trust me, I understand that getting Phys-reps to the game can be a hassle but it is the nature of LARP IMHO. The way I see it, a Cart or Wagon will be a House or Guild purchase in-game so there should be a group of people to help with its transportation out of game. There are also lots of ways to make a cart that can break down into much smaller bits (Maybe not small enough for your car :) ).
I am willing to help anyone who needs it with some designs. I have also found a few good designs for collapsable chests.

Peace420 wrote:Also if you can't overload totes I'd need like 20+ totes just for myself or the house, thats recockulous.
Very true. Or you could just leave your resources lying on the ground but thats not really a great option either. I think being able to overload a chest is almost a must.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Perhaps immovable containers should be classified at buildings - such as grain silos or warehouses. If you're storing hundreds of resources, you pretty much need a building.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

First, I agree with Doug on the fact that if you are storing a large number of resources then you have gone beyond chests and the like and have moved to Warehouses or such....

Also a question I was wondering about, Are Florentine and Rage combinable.. I know there are many skills you cannot use while raging, but there was a debate where you could use so called "passive" skills still. As this may come up for me sometime in the future I was curious?
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Resources

Post by Nelkie »

I have to agree with Wayne and Doug. If you want to store alot of resources you need many totes, or a building. I have been trying to make this point for some time. This will lead into the use of a banking system and the use of coins. Give me your resources which I can store for you and in return I give you coins. You can trade in your coins for resources when you want. That is one of the main resons why a money came into being.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

Oooh, that makes me think of a neat idea...resorces being carried around could be represented by stuffed squares of fabric, like spell-packets, but bigger.

Like, food could be green, supplies could be red, steel could be grey, mystic could be blue...that kind of thing.

Edit: Also let me add that I agree with what most people have been saying, and that you get to a point with resources where you are going to need a storehouse of some kind.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Ooo! Resource Pillows would make for a cozy town!
Six small pillows strapped to your back does seem to fit about right for the carry limit. To make and transport hundreds of these to and from the event would be difficult, but that's going to be true for any method of phys-repping resources.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Something like 9" x 12" x 3" blocks (total would be about the size of a medium sized backpack)? Then just have a clear sticky pocket on it to hold the tag.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Trevor Owen
GM

that may be something to test

Post by Trevor Owen »

That might be good for a test at the next event. See about cutting some sheet foam into blocks and color coding / pocketing to see if this is something that makes sense to people or not. I am not sure I am sold, but the nice thing is that the hassle of carrying them around makes people far more likely to hide/store them somewhere, or drop them, to pick up later.

Food for thought anyway.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I feel like making phys reps for resources is a bad plan.

It works on paper and maybe a small scale, but I think that requireing people to have up to six color coded blocks of whatever they happen to have is beyond the desired cost/hassle to game enrichment ratio.

Imagine every spare storage place in the inn and NPC camp filled with big blocks of color coded foam and cardboard that has no purpose but to be in the way just in case a player might need it to carry something to somewhere.

And then, what happens if you use that resource in the field? Do you just toss the big foam brick that was your steel you used to repair a shield on the ground and not carry it, or do you carry it and have it not really there defeating the purpose of why you wanted the physrep in the first place (being the realism of carrying stuff your character is carrying).
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

I didn't mean making them for everything, just for what you were carrying. If the storage was Phys-repped, you wouldn't need to phys-rep everything. And we already do something similar with spell-packets, don't we? Yeah, this would be a pain in the butt, but it's just a suggestion based on where I hear we are trying to go with phys-reps?

They would have to be of a size where the six items could be reasonably carried around, and of a material that would be cheap enough to be purchased by most people.

I like the idea of a card maybe on the item...it could be flipped when used, and used for multiple items. So, yes, you would still have to carry it, (even if used in the field), but it could be flipped over so the big X showing that the item isn't actually there? I don't know, just making a suggestion. I too think it would be kind of difficult to cart a "cart" or wagon back and forth from events as well.

Edit: Yeah, what he said.
Last edited by Kalphoenix on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike: For the majority of you, choosing to use a packet instead of a weapon is a hindrance because your aims suck.

Travis: Crap he is on to me.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

See I'm not imagining physreping all resouces just those that are carried outside a more permanant type of storage (bins, chests, etc). Now if someone was to want to carry around 6 resources then they can but it'll be bulky and a pain. But I'm not imagining npcs carrying these for plots and such, just as I wouldn't expect them to give up their physreps of weapons and such during combats. Now as far as using, if you destroy the tag or remove it from the foam, then it's really no longer a resource so if you want to toss it then feel free, but if you choose to hold it then that's fine too. With no tag, it's no longer a resource.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Simple

Post by Nelkie »

I do not like the idea of phyreping resources. It adds nothing to the game, and defently subtracts from it. Look at that person in their asome costume, to bad it is spolied by these large foam blocks they are carrying. I say keep it simple and follow Waynes plan. Yes, it sucks for those who do not have a building to store resources in, but there are many in game solutions to that problem. Just keep it in mind, mass amount of resources need to be clearly marked and open to view to everyone. So if I step into a storage room full of resources, I know what I'm looking at and have easy access to the tags.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Trevor Owen
GM

agree with what eric is saying here

Post by Trevor Owen »

Wayne and I have talked about this a bit, and do not envision this for all resources, just those you wish to carry on you. It keeps the six resources in a belt pouch thing from happening. We were thinking maybe about the size of a brick (3x3x6) still playing around with the idea. Then if you want to carry half a dozen resources around everywhere you can, but it makes sense to store them in a container... no phys reps in the container needed, just tags.

Maybe have a sleave on the phys reps so you can interchange what type of resource it is, you just have six basic brick sized blocks if you want to rep something. If there is no tag in the block, it isn't anything. This is just an idea at this point, but i really like the idea because it requires real talent to cover up the theft of multiple resources then, and makes keeping your resources hidden and safe a little trickier.