Resource storage/carrying

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Weapon sizes are mostly irrelevant in the game and can be ignored (minus the the few paths that have limitations). Longer weapons have benefits in caves where maneuvering is difficult while in the open shorter weapons are more effective due to speed. Granted, in a semi structured combat, long weapons would be behind a shield wall with short / long swords but lines don't last long. Mostly, it's personal preference.

To clarify the resouces part. A character may carry up to six resources, no more. If you have more, they must be placed in a container (about the size of a large tote) out in the open (and preferably labeled as to what it is since it would be obvious). This tote may not be carried off, but the tags may be moved six at a time.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

dier_cire wrote: This tote may not be carried off, but the tags may be moved six at a time.
I do not believe that this is true Eric. Trade routes come in with more than 6 tags in a single tote, and I would have to think the same would be true for stealing a large tote of tags. And the rules don't state that the container you keep tags in is safe. But, maybe Chris or one of the others could answer this succinctly.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

pg 74 second full paragraph...
How Many Resources May I carry
Also of note, a person may carry a maximum of any six resources. For example: Thor the
mighty carries six steel, while Grumsh the Everhungry carries 6 food. A more normal individual,
Farmer Joe, may carry 3 food, 2 cloth, and one supplies. Any additional resources must be
stored in some location. Any resources not carried must be left in the open or stored in a
container about the size of an 18-gallon tote or bigger
The container is not safe but isn't/shouldn't be able to be moved either. If it could then why would anyone store them in one? It'd be safer to leave them outside of it, since then a single person could only walk off with six instead of all of them. Ultimately, carrying a container with more than six resources violates the first sentence of the rule, so purely on what is written there is no way to carry more than six.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

Trade routes have wagons and beasts of burden. Players might eventually build/purchase wagons and beasts of burden, so rules might be needed for these, or handled on a case-by-case basis.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Trevor Owen
GM

Answer about larger numbers of resources

Post by Trevor Owen »

A single individual may not transport more than 6 resources. More than 6 may be placed in a large tote/strongbox/container.

This may be carried by 2+ individuals. Handwagons/Pull Carts/Barrows may also be used for moving the container of resources.

The hope is to someday have something a little more substantial than tags for resource phys reps, but until that time, limiting individual carrying capacity to 6 and allowing people to move larger numbers in containers (preferably period) with help is the most effective means to simulate the movement of resources. It also provides us with the opportunity to leave treasure chests scattered about...
Master of witless lore and red herrings
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Thanks Trevor, that's pretty much what Mike said as well. I actually am glad that is true as the other way seemed a bit cheesy, but seemed to be the case. I'll add this to the faq list as well.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'd still think that moving very many with even two people is cheesy (ie over say 18 ) since I (and my trusty sidekick) bring in my own tote, fill it up with the guild hall's full inventory and walk off. I could go for some formula to figure out how many people can move a tote with X tags in it...

something like (# of people x 1.5 (round down)) x 6 = number of tags moveable via tote. (2 = 18, 4 = 36, etc)

Eh, I'll wait for the rule updates to pick at this one.
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

I agree. A wagon train should be required to empty a town of all its stores.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
Trevor Owen
GM

The problem becomes one of different resources

Post by Trevor Owen »

we thought about breaking out different resources to different amounts carriable by different means/numbers of people. The problem was it added too many rules and too much complication. Basically, yes we could say that two people could move 50 units of cloth but only 20 units of steel, but what about combinations, what if they use a travois instead of a wagon, what if they have a cart, but have three people pulling instead of two, etc.

We have decided therefore, for the time being not to cap the resource movement in a 20+ gallon container. The chest may not be some small box you are hording things in, and you have two guys run off with it, one guy just touching the box to meet the two-person requirement.

Thanks for your question.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Ok..I have mixed feelings about container rules. On one hand it adds some complications, however, it is cheesy to have two people move 100 units of steel in one 20 gallon tote. My thought is we could come up with a handful of container items, put a cap on how many units each can carry, and then a cost to make. Every container requires two people to carry/pull. Anyone carrying a container must walk. I am thinking:

Chest: Free to build/ Holds 18 units
Crate/sled/Wheel Barrow: x to build/ Holds 30 units
small cart: 2x to build/ Holds 60 units
cart: 4x to build/ Holds 125 units
Small Wagon: 8x to build/ Holds 250 Units
Wagon: 16x to build/ Holds 500 units
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Now, would this be for only moving purposes? Cause, I'd hate to imagine the volume of totes required if it was for permanant storage as well.

I could get behind an overloaded container may not be moved and there is no cap as to how far you overload the thing (basically there's a chest with 18 resources under that 80 resources, you just have to move them to find it). This way one could store all their tags in one big tote, then if someone comes to steal it they must move the tags, six at a time, till the box contains 18, then move it (with another person involved of course).
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I see a problem with that in that there are no phys-reps for the containers (Other than the odd chest). So you'd have characters walking around with horse and cart in their pocket carrying 500 resourses everywhere they go.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Trevor Owen
GM

phys rep required

Post by Trevor Owen »

wayne is saying phys rep is required for all of those things if we decide to go that way. If you want a wagon that carries 500 resources, you need a four wheeled wagon that you put your container of resources on.

Cart is two wheeled etc.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Correct. All containers MUST BE PHYSREPPED. This holds true even for the current mechanics. In the coming seasons, we are really going to get away from items just having tags. ANY item you have a tag for should really be phys repped. Does this mean you need 500 resource tags? I would say no. Just a Physrep for every resource you carry. The ones stored in your tote or crate or whatever can just be tags because your container is phys repped.

As far as overloading a container, I would say it can not be overloaded. It adds a complication that really isnt needed. It should be up to the person loading the container to make sure it is not overloaded.

I guess an alternate would be to say you can overload a container and then the container cannot be moved. Overloaded containers would be tagged as overloaded so they are not moved by mistake. I could go either way.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

WayneO42 wrote:I guess an alternate would be to say you can overload a container and then the container cannot be moved. Overloaded containers would be tagged as overloaded so they are not moved by mistake. I could go either way.
That's what I was thinking Wayne. That way someone could still feasibly have one container/tote for a guild's resouces then if someone came to take it, they'd have to unload it to use it as a moveable container.