Rulebook concerns

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Rulebook concerns

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you think we could just be done with rule changes already? I understand the need for balance, but there are those of us who just want to play, without worrying about remembering a whole new character sheet every event, and all of the rules that go with it.

That being said, I'm sure I've probably pissed everyone off, but that is not my intent. I'd like to spend more time roleplaying, less time remembering if the rule for such and such has changed again or not. Honestly, for me, it's getting to the point where I'd rather just sit in the cabin and chat it up with whoever is there then go out on any plots.

Thanks for your time.

Natalie
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

Ok, we all know that I am a big role-player, but I have to disagree with you here Natalie.

The rules need to be tweek to create a balanced system by which we can work from. This game is in the early stages of development, so there is going to be some adjustments along the way in the beginning to polish the rough edges on the product. That is simple trial and error.

Eventually there will not be so much fussing, after the foundation of the game has been set into place. Have a feeling that once these alterations are done, there will not be so much of this going on.

Chris, Wayne, Todd, and the other people who have been working on the rules are doing so to provide good, solid entertainment for the rest of us. I mean I like the fact peope are working so hard to make certain we all are to some degree on the same level and that noone on there own are grossly overpowered.

This game is about working together as a group to survive an not on one character being a unstoppable on the field. Therefore, I don't mind learning or adjusting things now and again.

-Julie
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I understand

Post by Nelkie »

Natelie,

I undestand your concerns and I have to agree. I would like the rules stable and I'm trying to make sure all the rules are balance in this latest version so there wouldn't be any future changes. There is nothing more fustrationing than having the rules constantel changing.

I hoping this will be the last time the rules need to be tweeked to get every balanced.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

Aaron,

Thanks for the validation. I've been feeling frustrated about it for some time now, I'm glad someone else understands.

Julie, I hear what you are saying. I think you misread part of my post. I did state that I understand the need for balancing, I just didn't think it would take changes every event for 2 years to accomplish the goals.

Again, not trying to piss anyone off, just stating my concerns. Thanks for your time.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Having only a few events a year it's easy to re-write most of the game each time. One hard part is to keep track of current changes since the rule book doesn't keep up.

Speaking of which, who is in charge of keeping it up to date? There's a lot of things that could be added/changed.

Once there's a very strong, nigh unbreakable base, I have a feeling the changes will come to a screeching halt. And as long as the additions fall within the previous base, they should be fairly non intrusive.

Getting all this debugged now is a good thing. Think of the good old concept of if it costs $1 to fix in the analysis stage, it costs $1000 to fix in the implement.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I don't think that anyone including the NPC's likes having different rules every game session as it has been so far but if you figure that there still hasn't been the amount of sessions as 1 year at CARPS I don't think it's that off for things to still be getting tweaked. As Aaron said hopefully by this event or next the rules will be solid and balanced across the board then we all can just have fun playing.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:As Aaron said hopefully by this event or next the rules will be solid and balanced across the board then we all can just have fun playing.
I'm guessing that's probably a bit agressive. I'd vote on maybe September at the earliest. There's still alot of work left.[/i]
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Believe me, no body wants these rules done more then us. As far as updates go, I have two plans moving into place. First, we'll be updating the book as we can, but we want to make sure you dont have to print out a new book ever other day, because of minor updates. The second part is only waiting on Brad 2.0 (Liedel) to give me a new (moderator only) forum under suggestions labeled 'Updates'. It will be done in "Sticky" format, so the rules stay in the same order in the Forum, as they do in the Book.

Thanks for bearing with us. Where just trying to make a good solid game.

Todd
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Hey:

Just wanted to say that I can totally see where kathryn is coming from regarding changes. Even if one doesn't opt to include themselves in rule debates, one still has to know all the changes to make informed decisions in game. I do think however, that all the arguing certainly has forward momentum and im certain that changes will be fewer and fewer as time goes on, and things get solidified.

I also think its very very cool that the GMs of this game are so open, and take into consideration, anyone who has anything to say about anything -- thanks guys!
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

To put a positive light on some of this, it seems that part of the need for revision comes from the natural expansion of the game, and that's a good thing. When new people come into FH, we'll see more of the obscure rules coming into play as those players try to find a niche. In the end it will make for a stronger, better system; and everyone knows that. We've just got to suffer through the growing pains and remind each other to enjoy the ride.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.