Javalins?

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Town Member
Town Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:28 pm

Javalins?

Thinking about Wayne's spear, I wondered would a javalin (non throwing type) be considered a spear?

Also can we remove the hand and a half portion of the weapon length chart? Also noting how short has a huge range compared to other weapons. 16" compared to 12" and 10" for tiny and long respectively.

Possibly go with:

6-18" tiny
21-33" short
36-48" long
51+" two handed

also might add (since two fists sucks to hit anything): monk fists: 6-24"

Town Member
Town Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:44 pm

I like the concept. I think we could just name it 'Short Spear' to differentiate from 'Trowing Javelin'. I think a 'Short Spear' would fall into the 'Long Weapon Catagory' (Ironic no?) While a 'Long Spear' would fall into the 'Two-Handed Weapon Catagory'.
I agree that since there is no Damage change associated with the lengths that we can eliminate 'hand-and-a-half'. I would keep all the lengths the same though, to prevent problems with other LARP phys-reps.
'Hand' length stays as is, due to 'Nerve-Pinch' etc.

6-12' Hand
6-18" Tiny
21-36" Short
39-49" Long
50+" Two Handed

Town Member
Town Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:51 pm

The hand length wasn't for anyone other than monks, basically since they get severly shafted on the ability to block with a fist (try blocking with a ruler... it sucks) They should be a little more adept at combat than that small of a phys-rep. It doesn't represent a bogger fist in this instance but rather the natural reflexes he has, thus if he was a thief he would be quicker at delivering nerve pinch or sleep if assasin.

I guess I can live with the rule to avoid conflict with CARPS. Just seems silly how big a shortsword can be. And why is long 49", what's wrong with a nice even 48"? Mt. Dew and writing, not a good combo...

Town Member
Town Member

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:34 pm

HeHe. (mountain dew & writing. funny)

I guess I wouldnt be Totally adverse to allowing them up to tiny length, but I'd leave that call to Chris or Wayne.

Return to Rule Forum Archives