Offseason 05\06

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

For healing, I believe you heal up to half of the damage that the person has take and not up to half their total life points.

example: I have a total of 10 life points. I'm wounded down to 2 life. I go to a healer and in 2 minutes I get a total of 4 life points healed so my total in 2 minutes is 6 life points.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Counters for skills have typicaly been one level higher than the effect in the current rules, expecily if it is an immunity.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Ok, for the whole Spy thing.. currently the "Total Confidence" ability to resist Detect Lie is already a third level ability.. as opposed to the Detect Lie which is second level.. It is already a precedent in the book for an immunity to be at the same level or higher than what it is an immunity to.. See Druid'd second level.. Essential immunity to Root, slick, any movement hampering abilities.. while "Root" itself is third level..

Also take Fourth Level Man-at-Arms.. Resist Sleep.. While most sleep calls are either a fourth level discipline or an intermediate Empath ability..

I do not believe making "Total Confidence" an immunity would be a problem, I think it would solve a lot of problems.. besides I think if you are that good a spy, you would never be limited by your life to lie well.. and if someone really wants answers, that is where Torture comes in.. the field leveler.. for the most part.

As for "Condition" I do think it would help the healers to know exact life totals, but I agree that they only need to know them in the negatives.. so it should be simple to state that they can only ask the condition of someone who is unconcious/dying.. and state that the person does not need to answer if they do not wish to.. simple I think.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

For healing, here we are.

So:
P1 is at 2 of 10
P2 is at 5 of 10
P3 is at 8 of 10
Healer heals for two minutes
P1 is at 6 of 10 (+4 ie half of 8 )
P2 is at 7 of 10 (+2 ie half of 5)
P3 is at 9 of 10 (+1 ie hlaf of 2)
Healer heals for 2 minutes more
P1 is at 10 of 10
P2 is at 10 of 10
P3 is at 10 of 10
Last edited by dier_cire on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Erik is correct, but obviously the healer does not harm a person and bring them down 3 life points. That be silly. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

2 minutes heals half the damage taken:
It takes 2 uninterrupted minutes to heal half of what ever it would take to get a person to full life rounding down.
So if a character is at 8 of 10 life, after 2 minutes he'd be at 9 of 10.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Doug is right, my bad. Correction to above example in place.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Ok if it is possible to simply ask a PC what there status/condition is and they can answer, then I don't see a need for a "status" call except when unconscious or dead. It may sound stupid but I didn't realize this was allowed.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

wow I hate being wrong!
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Well, what is the real desire for a "status" call? Is it to find out someone's health level for purposes of healing and such? Or is it to root out evil via tracking of resists?

The first is a reasonable answer, however do we need a rule for this? not really. Common sense says I can tell you how much life I'm at if I so choose (only really a concern for potion use and transfer life). However, I also can say 'I'm fine' or 'I'm low' or 'I'm about half', (which should be the norm) especially if the damage is from resists (where its more of a mental fortitude thing, you get tired after heroic actions). So no real need for an addition.

If it's to root out evil, then this is just a bad way around actually doing (or not doing) the 'right' thing for your character. So again, no need for a rule change, just a better reason to roleplay what you want. If you want to attack someone as you believe they are guilty but others don't, then don't look for a rules excuse. I wanted to attack the orcs long ago (and Atrum even longer), but didn't as it would be frowned upon. Ka is a merc, and thus does as he's told. Now, if this wasn't true, maybe there's still a sharp pointy thing with Atrum's name on it. :)
Doctor Erasmus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Doctor Erasmus »

Part of the reason for a rule for status does originate from its misuse, this is true. But from that other questions were asked... Who can perform status? Common sense says Healers, but without a rule anyone can. What does status tell you? Is it exact when it comes to life points or is it general? Does it tell you if poison is present? How about Disease? Also, how long does it take? Is it a count or can you diagnose 10 people just by walking up the group and yelling "Status!"

It needs a rule because this is one of, if not the most widely used ability that doesn't exist in the rule book. How confusing is that for a newbie healer? Or a newbie fighter being healed? If there is not a rule made, it at least should be mentioned in the book. If not to aid newbs and healers, then just to eliminate the various "cheese-dick" uses we have seen over the past year.
"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I am still completely struck dumb from Reid saying we dont need a rule.

It is now going to take alot to convince me otherwise.
Chris
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

The healer needs some mechanic to determine which skills to use on people who are in negatives, determine if a person is posioned or diseased, and if they are unconinious or not. In the current rules does not allow any one to do this detection. That is why there needs to be a mechanic or just allow anybody to do this detection.

2. First aid: When touching a person and performing a 5 count, the healer can determine the status of a willing or unconious person. Status includes if you are unconious, at zero, how deep in negatives a person is, if diseased, if posioned, or in possitive life. Note: A person does not need to provide the healer their postive life total, but should roleplay out how wound they are. Example: I'm bleeding out across half of my body from this sword wound, I could some healing.

3. Surgery: A master healer just neeeds to touch a person to determine a person status. AKA does not require the 5 count
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Why a five count?

You realze with a 5 count if the person is at 55 seconds of their 1 minute then they are dead while you are trying to determine status
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Because they're a nurse or an orderly and the master(surgeon) gets it without the 5 count. Makes sense to me.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If we really want a skill just throw it as a part of first aid (seeing a gaping sword wound or snake bite or pusy boils shouldn't be tough) as you can know disease or poison and if the person is in negatives by touching the person and saying "first aid, what's your status" (similar to Aaron's but a bit dumbed down)

Beyond this, if they aren't below zero, and they don't respond and aren't diseased or poisoned then logic says they must be unconscious (up to the player if they choose to tell you they are at zero). Plus if there was a plot thing going on the skill won't give that away immediately and players will have to try some things before discovering it. How far in negatives is really up to the dying player. If I'm dying, I'd tell the guy healing me the number but if I want more drama, maybe not.

Ultimately, I think there could be a note in the book about what someone is required to answer (which isn't much) and just be left at that. Obviously, if you are bleeding to death, this is kinda obvious. If you are hurt, not necessarily (bruises and injured limbs can be hidden/overlooked). If you are unconscious, obvious. If you are poisoned, you'll know (for the game we can simplify poisons to be fast acting unless otherwise stated on the tag). Disease, the same thing. If I get bit by a basalisk and it's bite burns and oozes, that's probably a bad sign.

Something like:
Player Condition: A player is allowed but does not have to inform others of their numerical condition when concerning hitpoints. If someone is poisoned, diseased, bleeding to death, or unconscious, these are all obvious states (and thus answered if asked) and should be roleplayed accordingly.

No new skill and it's spelled out.