Offseason 05\06

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Another IDea

Post by Nelkie »

Alow the craftsman (probaly level 3 or 4) to use armor and weapons for upkeep. Baicly converting a weapon or piece of armor into upkeep tags inbetween events. This would be another way of getting exta weapons and armor out of game. I was thinking a piece of armor (Helmet, legs, arms, chest) or a weapon could be convert to 2 upkeep tags.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Speaking of armor...

I think in the off-season we should change helmets so that they follow the armor convention for other parts of the body rather than being one static point. The head is the most vital part of the body, and it goes to reason that the armor around it is of vital importance.

It doesn’t make sense to me that a little leather cap and a fully enclosed helmet are the same protection, and there is no encouragement for players to actually wear full helms in battle, because they cut down on player’s perception while giving no bonus.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Ok i have been thinking about some of these ideas for some time and have finally decided to write them down.. (darn laziness).

Suggestions for possuble streamlining and the like.

1. First Aid : add line stating " a person with First Aid can ask the person "Condition" and find out the current LP total of the target.. the Target may refuse to answer, but may not give a false answer. ( Wondering how people feel about false answer idea?)

2. Enchant weapon : Once activated can this ability be used with other LP or charged abilities? I would say Yes.

3. Removal of Limbs being handled in the "Rules Questions" section.

4. Clarification underneath Shields that you cannot use character abilities on something that only effects your shield.. Example: you cannot resist magic a 30 magic if it hits your shield, this includes while you are holding ground, but you can resist things such as Sleep, or fear?

Well I guess that is all for now, I am sure I had more but the Nyquil is kicking in, so please let me know what you think of these suggestions.. Critiques and the like?
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!
Onyksi Rin'oviryn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onyksi Rin'oviryn »

I will absolutely have a huge issue if those with first aid are able to tell how many life points you're at. It would make detect lie uncounterable. As it is, if you refuse to answer you're marked as lying.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

We are talking about correcting Detect Lie, and it's counters, in some way already. I seriously don't think that a hiccup with detect lie should be a valid argument against placing a real rule on something that has been a system wide unstated quasi-rule all this time.

I think that making 'condition' a set rule with defined mechanics would be a great boon. Maybe even give it a count to perform, so that you can have a trained medic take time to carefully examine a patient to see how badly hurt they really are, but they risk loosing the patient while they are triaging.

It would give 0 level healers a place where they could be really helpful... "You there, nurse, stabilize this patient while I see the extent of the damage. My god, he has a plow in his brain (-27 life). Quick, scalpel!"
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I actually don't think there is a reason to ask an out of game question to someone with positive life. If they are up and walking and role playing feeling alright, then a simple in-game, "Are you okay, do you need healing" should suffice. They then can answer anyway they choose. What is the point of checking the condition of a living person, if not to see if they just resisted something? If they are not asking for healing, then they probably don't need it. Now, if they are dead, that is a different story. In other words, I think the healer should be able to tell if they are alive (thus, if they are unconscious you still don't get to know their status, just that they are alive and will pull through) or if they are dead, then how dead are they.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I agree with Mike the healer skill should only work in negatives not in positives or at 0. That being said, the concern about detect lie is as valid as the concern about people's condition. They are both skills, they both have quirky things about them that need to be fixed not to mention that Erika may have raised a point that was not being considered during the discussions on condition. To you Matt, the detect lie problem may be a hiccup but to me the condition problem is just as much a hiccup, you ask someone how far down they are so that the healer can get a gauge of how bad the body in front of him looks, a few slashes and burns or guts spilling out and burned to a crisp not to mention there's a skill that only works so far in negs. The system wide problem you are talking about that has been a "problem all this time" hasn't even been questioned until now, the same can be said for detect lie.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Amagus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Amagus »

If they’re unconscious, they can’t resist your efforts at evaluation. Check condition on an unconscious person needs to reveal if the person is unhurt, or exactly how injured. A healer really should be skilled enough to tell exactly how injured his patient is.
Death is the threshold to immense possibility
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Unfortunately Doug, we have been told countless times that the "no Cheese" rule is simply not enough. If we do as you say and if detect lie stays basically the same (not saying it will--as Matt said, we are discussing it), then here is an example of ultimate cheesiness:

An unconscious Nuk is brought in for questionning. Her status is quickly checked and then awoken. She is asked a question. The interrogator uses Detect Lie and Nuk informs him that she is not lying. Nuk is then knocked out. The healer checks her condition. Her condition has changed. Apparently she was lying and everyone can kill her free of guilt.

Sorry but that's just dumb. I revert back to my earlier point: why do we need to check the status of someone alive if not to see if they had resisted something. We can certainly add more description for the pure healers out there who simply want to know, such as, "I'm unconscious but alive, I'm going to pull through, but there is this giant gash down my chest that looks like it might hurt...a lot...like I can't take another one of those...(wink wink)."
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

How about the only thing the healer can determine is if the patient is at more than half life or how far they are in negatives. So the healer spends a five or ten count in contact with the patient and can then say "Asses Condition- If you are in critical life, how far in negatives are you?" -or- "Asses Condition- Do you have more than half of your life points remaining". They can ask one or the other per ten count, not both.

This allows the healer to determine if they should do surgery or a healing circle.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

For a healer to use their skills they need to know the person's condition.

Need to know how far in negatives if in negatives at all.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I like what wayne said. But what if it was stated that you could lie under the effects of Check Condition. If your in criticals why would you lie? And if you were not well then, couldn't you act more hurt than you are?
Travis Cole
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

I thought surgery only worked in negsatives? The only difference between 1\2 and full that I can think of now is the time it takes the healer to heal them. And if you are at all cunning you can easliy figure out if someone is lying. Say Silver Tongue Larry has 6 life, the healer heals him to full not knowing his life total and takes out a dagger, 1, takes 10 seconds, asses condition, Larry says more than full, slash rinse and repeat. Or even easier and quicker take them to 0 heal them to 1\2 ask a question, they are automatically below 1\2 at that point if they lied.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

The healer does not need to know condition to use skills other than whether the person is negative or not.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Atrum Draconus wrote:The only difference between 1\2 and full that I can think of now is the time it takes the healer to heal them.
I'm hoping you are refering to that fact that it only takes a healer 2 minutes to heal to half and not that a healer heals half in 2 minutes. To get to full life it takes 4 minute, no matter life total you start at. If you are at 10 of 12 (ie down 2), it takes 4 minutes (I've been in this situation before).

So Mike is correct in that a healer only needs to know if you are in positive or negative life.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.