Combat tweaking ideas for next year...

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Combat tweaking ideas for next year...

Post by dier_cire »

No real mechanics changes (well one but it's not a pressing issue just something I'd like for a counter to a very hard to counter skill) just some safety / odd style things:

a possible addition/modification to either charging or something along the lines of distance in combat. something like "at any given time there must be either a 2ft distance between you and your oppponent's bodies or at least one of your weapons/shield must be between your body and theirs (and of course, no physical contact)"

my main goal here is to avoid the all out wrap attack were you are in a hugging like posture. This last event I clocked Colin pretty good with my helm and had that been someone a bit less hardy it could have been a pretty serious injury. This should avoid this. Suggestions/comments welcome.

not sure how to handle the next one but its the attacker leading with the head style. I encountered this a couple times, mostly in the caves. I'd catch an npc peeking around a corner with his head in full view at about my waist. In a larp setting, the head is off limits so striking at his back would likely result in his standing up and poof head shot, so I didn't swing. Not sure if this is an issue or it's just a bit of cheese that sucks and is ignorable. Again any comments/suggestions are welcome, especially since I'm not sure of how to phrase something to discourage this.

Finally, I'd prefer to see taunt dropped into the same category as sleep, press, etc, when concerning hold ground. Don't worry it's not only cause I have the skill and want to use it (but that is a factor I'll admit :wink:) Bascially, in a cave setting hold ground, only has two real weaknesses and both aren't cheap. One is an empath with a 30 (assuming man at arms) and the other is 1 crush. One is full path and one is full disipline. And the boom one still requires the guy to be beaten down. Now, adding taunt into the resistable list would make it so there would be a slow way to wittle down a person holding ground (aka get around a skinny man behind a big shield :)) This one isn't a big deal, just a thought, plus it gets rid of the single exception, which is what caused my confusion earlier. Again, coments/thoeries/suggestions are welcome. Oh, and "Reid, your an ass.", "Reid, you suck" comments are encouraged. :P
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I like the one, but not the other.

Taunt should not be the way to fight your way into the cave. We wereholding ground and you were getting past us without taunt. It just took awhile which is what it is meant to do. Hold ground is a real epic feat.

Let me put up a lame situation.'

Ok everyone stand back. 5 count..taunt, 5 count, taunt...eventually the person drops. Just seems wrong
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

good point, I forget taunt can be packet driven. When I do it, I use a weapon so I can and did get hit, I forgot it can be ranged.

Rule for pc's from now on. Whenever caving, bring a barbarian... :D (Though I would like to see an alternative method but this more of a pipe dream)

Also for clarification on the distance idea. The rule would be for both sides. Ie even if I have my shield between myself and Aaron, he'd still have to have his between himself and me too or he can open up but needs to keep the 2ft distance. (Basically, creating a double buffer zone)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It is a good idea I know was proposed by others as well.

DOnt forget though that you did punch a hole through it just took a bit of time. It should, andI think that was part of the fun
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

Three ways reid ;-) But the third options require certain spells from an arcane.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Ug wrote:Three ways reid ;-) But the third options require certain spells from an arcane.
doh! thanks for the reminder. :D

And, yeah I think some of the hold ground thing may partly be due to the sheer urgancy of that particular mission too.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I completely agree with the space thing. It does give an advantage to taller longer armed people like myself, but it also will make for less dangerous combat.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Peace420 wrote:I completely agree with the space thing. It does give an advantage to taller longer armed people like myself, but it also will make for less dangerous combat.
Maybe we should add a if you are Temple it's 3ft :D

I do see one issue with the conept though. If I'm fighting Erik and I've got a shield and sword and he's got two weapons, and I move in and he's in process of trying to hit on opposite sides, I'm in close with my shield between us, but he'll have to drop one weapon in between to remain legal, yet this was a move intiated by myself resulting in his violation. Hrm...

The 2ft rule rule either needs to be an "and" or lost. Losing the rule would mean you could be shield to shield inches from one another, whereas the "and" results in a more stand offish type combat favoring longer reach weapons slightly (though 2ft is only a beachball distance).

So ie the new ideas would be:

"at any given time there must be either a 2ft distance between you and your oppponent's bodies AND at least one of your weapons/shield must be between your body and theirs (and of course, no physical contact)"

or

"at any given time there must be at least one of your weapons/shield must be between your body and theirs (and of course, no physical contact)"
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

"at any given time there must be either a 2ft distance between you and your oppponent's bodies AND at least one of your weapons/shield must be between your body and theirs (and of course, no physical contact)"

I like this one, it give the short guy with a dagger a fighting chance against... well not neccesarily me but a guy my size with my reach. :wink:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I like

Post by Nelkie »

I like the concept and idea. As long it gets rid of people bear hugging my shield and wrapping around to hit me. Very dangerous and cheessy. I was only at the event for an hour, but it happened to me multiple times and I tried not to bash anyone who was doing that by backing up which left me open to attack. Not cool when facing 150 abysmals. I know it can be fustration when facing a person with a shield by not being able to get around it, but bear hugging it and wrapping ones arms around to hit the person is to dangerous and will lead to many more people being hurt. Not to mention it being very fustrating on the shield weilding people who can only back away trying to open the distance so nobody doesn't get hurt.
My Thoughts

Aaron