Craftsman Questions

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Craftsman Questions

Post by Nelkie »

As per the new rule post

Additional clarification on what a Craftsman can do.

The above is a discription of how the rules apply to armor only. Weapons are to be handled exactly like any other item in reguards to creation. The ability to 'break' a weapon for a bonus comes from the PC, not the item. The weapon in question could be enchanted to grant it further protections. (It would then fall under the new 'Magic Item' rules, be assigned a value, etc.)

The Craftsman can do the following, (see the rules for full discriptions)
level 1; Repair/Tinker- this should be fine, following the rules as listed.
level 2; Create Items- (including both armour and weapons) These can be 'mundane', or of 'Quality', only being changed by creation time, not ability. The craftsmanship of these 'quality' items is sufficient enough grade as to be enchanted with a one-shot ability*
level 3; Create 'Qualtiy' Items- (including both armour and weapons) of sufficient enough grade as to be enchanted with a re-chargable ability*
level 4; Create 'Qualtiy' Items- (including both armour and weapons) of sufficient enough grade as to be enchanted with a permanent ability*

In addition there is a sliding scale for time neccessary to create items that decreases as the Craftsmans level

Ok from my understanding the resit effect in armor is gone. The craftsman can not add an additional weapon effects into a weapon (aka, vorpal, crush, etc.. 1 time effect) Basicly the old 3rd level craftsman skills is gone.

Does it take less time to create armor the higher level a craftsman is, or is the time standard to make a base armor, and if effects are added the time increases?

My question, how useful will having the ability to create an item that can be permentaly enchanted be? How long will it take for an arcane to grant a perment magic effect?
The way I see it is, I really only need to get to level 2 craftsman because I can make that quality armor and repair my armor.
Getting to level 4 only grants me quicker armor repair time and maybe help out on the creation of permentate magic items once a year.
The way I see it it would be better to have the perment magic enchantalbe armor bought from a merchant or have the fence go out and buy it. And a guild only needs level 2 cratsman to repair the armor and create quality. I'm having trouble seeing the value and benifit for getting to level 4 craftsman. (I'm viewing the system as group benifit vrs single person benifit. Trying to create a well orginized guild that utilizes everyones skills to there maxium.)

By the way, what are the filed repair times to repair armor, and are the times different if you repair armor with resources on a forge?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

As I said,
In addition there is a sliding scale for time neccessary to create items that decreases as the Craftsmans level increases
Yes the 'resists' and simalar effects are gone, and.. Yes second level is all you need to repair, and create, 'Quality' items.
The benefit of higher levels is two fold. First; Roleplaying wise, some people might enjoy being a "Master Craftsman", its not always about how much power a skill gives you. Second: Mechanicaly you can create items of superior quality (grade) allowing them to be enchanted. We're going over some things, and now that Craftsman is wrapped up, we can adjust the enchantment times on the Arcane side. In addition we'll be looking at the Fence side of things. The fence will no longer be operating like your local 7-11. Getting rid of stuff... easy. Getting stuff... not too bad. Getting 'specific' stuff... really hard. Sorry but thats the way it works in real life too.

Finally, repair times do not change with a forge, but then again you cannot repair armor to full without one, so the benefit of using one is fairly obvious.

And as always.....

~the Lunatic fringe~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

With enough money and/or influence, a person can get _anything_. Perfect example, OJ.

Judge Ito, what do I need to get you in order to see this thrown out?
A life size stormtrooper outfit from Sharper Image.
Done!

Not necessarily cheap, but you can get it.