Path Updates

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Nelkie: Do I think it is right that a master rogue cannot get a knight with a buff even though he is wearing armor? Yes

Do you think Strider or Lan could get knocked out even though there is no armour?

Also, there are racial and item bffs the rogue could get.

Also, this leaves the door open for items that also increase the knockout abilities. If we raised the knockout skill I would never have an item that increased it farther.

Oh and as for waylay. It is written to be used in conjunction with mimic. By itself it is useful against some monsters, and PC's who dont have combat reflexes which do exist.

Also, do take into effect the velk, sage, mimic, sap combo
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Knockout

Post by Nelkie »

Chris,

I have taken in the combo's and given you the max of know knock out buffs.

Master Rouge, Valk, with a sap = 13
Valk, sage, mimic, with sap = 8

Valk - 2
Sap - 2
Mimic - 3
Sage - 1
Mastr Rouge - 9
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

right

I dont see those numbers as low, even waylay. Waylay is meant to knock a person out with no armour. It is a good Jack of all trades skill and has its uses
Chris
Claude du Sinjin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Claude du Sinjin »

Here's a question, what ability allows Healers to determine how screwed up (damaged) a person is? I've heard it refered to "diagnose" and "condition" but can't find jack as to how this works and who can do it. Is this just an oversight that slipped through, or have people been performing an action that doesn't exist?
"The knight... is down."

Claude the Expired
Black Knight of the True Dragon
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well if you are going to heal negatives (surgery or first aid) you need to know current condition. it is an unspoken rule
Chris
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nelkie »

So to ask the question "Where are you at" relating to their life point total, a person should have the first aid or aurgery skill? Or can anyone do it?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Good call Blondie. It would be nice to make 'Asses Injuries' a real skill for healers or part of first aid, and 'condition' a legal game call and not an unspoken rule. All rules should be spoken, and even then we get problems like the -20 res issue.

I am probably against a level 2 mimic. I think that might be putting way too much power in sage. Though I do think they need something…
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Status

Post by cole45 »

So healers, can make a "Status" call. And then find out how messed up you.

Luckily, if your a warrior, and your not quite dead yet, you can just blurt it out.
Travis Cole
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I would like to put in a vote for adding a second level of Mimic that lets the Sage duplicate a 2nd lvl discipline (not path) ability. This should mean that they can use 1 1st lvl path or discipline and upto 1 additional 1st or 2nd lvl discipline ability.

I think this adds something to them but not too much. I also thinking giving them access to Advanced lvl path abilities would be too much.

As for the knockout thing, I thought that it was too low. However, if a standard NPC warrior/soldier is [Master Warrior + Medium Chest + a helm?] a Master Rogue could knock them out and make their daring escape. This seems good to me. You need to start adding Valk and Sap to overcome PCs, and I am ok with that. If you are going after a someone stronger better start throwing magic sleep [and hope they don't resist].
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It is intigrated into the skills

You need first aid, healing, or surgery to assess condition.

I mean how else you would use the skill??
Chris
Claude du Sinjin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Claude du Sinjin »

How would you use the skill? Pure guesswork!

Imagine the tension of having to step-by-step attempt to revive a downed individual. "Awaken", nothing... "first aid", "awaken", still nothing... "surgery", "awaken", nothing... try a potion, etc...

Healers know their craft, this is true, but they do not have modern medicines means of determining how badly off an injured person is. By the same token though, after seeing enuff sword wounds or "boom" blasts and you start getting an idea of how likely a person is to survive.

At any rate, maybe just a sentence or two in the Healer desc or in First Aid stating that they can assess damage, poison, disease, etc.
"The knight... is down."

Claude the Expired
Black Knight of the True Dragon
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I can definitly get behind the added sentences if people feel that is needed.

As for a second level of mimic..that isnt going to happen even if the entire player base wanted it. It is just too crazy

Right now we have alot of sages in the game. We have done a great job, especially last event, with the new way hints are given and it worked great.

The problem is, and this is why the hint skill will not be increased , is it is suppose to be a hint not an answer. At a certain point there will be no more hints to a puzzle. The reason it is not time based anymore is because when we started off at 15 minutes the idea was you are in a cave, the walls are closing in, the monsters are attacking, and you need a hint NOW> The skill was lame when you wanted to just know everythin under the sun.

Chris
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Ok so instead of letting people get hints every 15 minutes like it used to be. You add one skill in basic or advanced like the one Evan suggested and the sage can only ask 1 yes or no question on a puzzle\riddle with a maximum of 3 yes or no questions for the entire puzzle\riddle. The GM can decide that there are no more questions or hints available before the 3 limit is reached. The other skill stays exactly as it is so even if you have 3 sages working on a problem the best you can get is 3 yes or no questions and 1 hint remembering that it is purely GM discretion as to how many yes or no questions can be answered on a puzzle. I assume that as it is you either have a list of hints or the GM looks over the answer and decides what is an appropriate hint for 1 sage 2 sages or 3 sages acting together.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

what is a puzzle? We had people using this skill for everything.

Right now there are 3 levels of hints you can get on plots, if we say keep that and add 3 yes or no questions then that would have to be created before the event or else it isnt really a basic skill.

You can get ALOT more info from 3 yes or no open ended questions than you can from 3 decided before game on hints
Chris
Ian_McAllister
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ian_McAllister »

Ok since I have finally gotten the chance to read through this I will put in my two cents..

As a Rogue myself, I am fine with where the Knockout skill is at.. I have always seen it as a tool as the Gm's see it.. you wait for the rigth opportunity and use it, very good in conjunction with a fellow thief or warrior.. Example Uggy... a few warriors beat him down and I came in afterwards with a knockout.. As much as I would like a shorter charge time.. I am sure all the Empaths would either.. I am fine myself with the way knockout is. Although I would like to see a better way for NPC's to represent if something is obviously armored.. cause to spend 30 seconds to charge a knockout and then see nothing to happen to what looks like an unarmored foe.. (and I have had this happen a few times) does get you a little disappointed with KO.

Now for me I would rather look at Backstab.. now I know Rogues are not suposed to be frontline fighters.. but in the battles I have been in I have found Backstab to be almost useless.. As I need a target to charge.. and then hit them in a specific target, I think Ihave managed to get off 3-4 backstabs in the course of 3 events. One of the main reasons is due to the flow of battles.. I have yet to be in a battle that was not an ambush, and so as soon as a battle starts magic booms and arrows are flying around me while I charge a backstab.(hope my target doesn't die in the meantime), try to get behind him without being hit, and then maybe hit him in the back.. then run away and try again.. All I would like to see perhaps is to take the need for a target away from backstab.. as it is right now I can see tremendous use with backstab when dealing with players..a as you have the chance to set up a fight with them, but against NPC's battles are far to often something just sprung upon you.. and while I agree Warriors are the frontline fighters.. I believe Rogues should be able to aquit themselves with their skills a little better than they can now.. As I was saying in my opinion I would think taking out the need for a Target for the charge would enable a Rogue to when combat started, immediately pick a target and try to get in position to backstab them.. rather than wait aroud for 15 seconds and hope the target doesn't die.. Especially since Backstab is already the only skill that requires a specific part of the body to hit, I would hope that is penalty enough.

As for Sages, I have already put my mind around trying to make Sages better at research.. other than that I haven't given them much thought, although I do agree they do seem underpowered for a non-combative character.

I think some new content would be in order, and I like the hints system the way it is now, keeps the mystery of the game.
Your Knowledge cannot save you,
Your Magic cannot save you,
Nothing can save you!