Suggestions Under New Rules Ideas

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Suggestions Under New Rules Ideas

Post by Nelkie »

Ok I have been doing some thinking.

These rule suggestions are based on 80%-90% of all the battles will be with monsters and enemies swinging 1 damage (aka why the armor values have been dropped) Because of this change, the warrior parry skill is only useful 20%-10% of the time. To make up for the uselessness, an additional skill has been suggested for 3 level warriors.

Also, these rules suggestions are based on the fact charged up abilities will be lost if the person is hit.

Ok under the new rules for healing a person in negatives, endurance and berserk will not be used unless there is no other choice. The chance to die is too great to use the skills.

New skill ideas:
Remove berserk, bump endurance to level 3 and make endurance have this effect.

Once in negatives you can not fight or use any skills, but can walk, talk, drink potions. But you are still bleeding to death. At negative -10 the warrior drops to determination.
This stops the fighting in negatives.

Next
To replace endurance at level 2 the warrior could get

Lash (base damage only (1 damage + weapon focus) for 3 life (what this allows the warrior to do is easly prevent charge ups around them) (max lashs in a combat possible (16 life = 5 lashes)

Lastly for a level 3 ability
Advance defensive matrix: drop damage to 0 and reduce frontal melee damage by 2

Level 1 warrior
20% armor
Determination
Hold ground

Level 2 warrior
20% armor
Rage
1 extra minute to bleed or lash for 2 life
Defensive matrix

level 3 warrior
New endurance
20% armor
Parry
Advanced defensive matrix

Possible switch lash and endurance to keep the warrior balalnced.

Next:
To balance out the damage ratio’s back stab and empathy boom needs to be lowered. The damage is to high vrs the average and max armor/life combo’s.

Back Stab
Level 1
level 2
Level 3

The guild skill to give +2 back stab needs to be moved to level 3

Empath Boom (Channel)
Level 1
4 max is 8
level 2
8 max is 12
Level 3
12 max is 16
Greater Channel
25 max is 29

Elf gets +2 boom in a world where 1 is common, 2 is supreme
4th level guild ability +2 to channel damage
Last edited by Nelkie on Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Bows

Post by Nelkie »

OK, everything in game has a counter to it, expect for bows. 12 vorpal can be very scary.

Here is my suggestion to balance out bows again. have the sage beable to grant a resist damage as on of the resist they can bestow.

In the past, the bow was counter by resist magic because the call was 12 vorpal magic.

Now it is only 12 vorpal (no counter)
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

12 vorpal is really really scary and it should be, although this is the scariest of the 4th lvl disciplines. One counter off of the top of my head is the so called uselss skill Parry. As the only skill IG that lets you ignore straight damage it definitely is useful.

Berzerk and Endurance again, if the warrior is so weak then why are there so many?

Lash? LOL OK, why not give them immunity to everyone else as a skill. If a warrior wants to stop someone charging walk up and hit them, it's what they do, hit people for damage and take it better than anyone else on the field.

Empath boom the 30 might need to be lower since now its much harder to get to 30 pts total llife and armor, backstab still takes multiple(2) master backstabs to take a warrior in heavy down and thats without any bonuses at all and 10th lvl life.
Last edited by Peace420 on Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Though I've avoided posting (as it has seemingly little effect on any change), I will make the note that parry is only useable on _melee_ attacks. As the skill stands, it is only useful in the instance you run into something swinging more than 1.

As for warriors, well, they used to be able to run away from a fight, they used to have a skill that could halve the damage they take in most combats, they used to have triple the number of armor and life as anyone else, they use to do exceedingly high amounts of damage...

Now two master theives could kill him with just backstab. (all things being equal). 3 backstabs and he's toast, knocking the backstab down means they need 4 and with lash he can counter a couple attempts. This puts the warrior back into a 3 on 1 being a decent battle. Lash is a maximum of 12 damage as 20th level knight with life boons (then you touch him and he dies. Not as impressive as it looks.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Ideas

Post by Nelkie »

As parry being a useless skill, it still stands. In the current rules parry can only be used against frontal melee damage which is not crush which swings more than 1 damage. It takes 1 life to use parry and it does not make since to parry 1 damage call. So a bow or crossbow can not be defend against in the current rules, but everything else does have a counter to it. Name a skill, and I will tell you the counter.

Under the assumpition 80%-90% of all battles, the monster/enimes will be swing 1 damage. This makes parry is only useful in 20%-10% of the time. Parry is not that great of a 3rd level master skill when compared to the other Paths

The warrior does not require lash if there is some way to grant a resist damage to people. AKA have resist damage as one of the sage reisit he can give. Rresist damage will only work agianst crush, vorpal, or normal damage.

Lowering back stab only effects attacking a warrior. It has no effect against any other class. It takes 2 backstabs, to drop any other class expect a warrior. With 12 backstab it would take 3-4 hits to drop a warrior. With 10 backstab it would take 4 hits to drop a fully powered warrior.
Not that much a diference.

"Berzerk and Endurance again, if the warrior is so weak then why are there so many? "

The reason there is so many warriors is they get the most hitpoints and can swing the most damage. But when compared to the abilities of the other paths, it is not balanced and the warrior gets the shaft. In the current rules the standard useful skills for a warrior (aka that they can use on a regular basis in which they do not need to worry about dying if they use the skill) are

Utilize armor 60%
Defensive matrix
Rage
determination

Not very useful or dangerous to use warrior skills
hold ground - I have not seen or heard anyone using this skill as of yet.
endurance - possible death sentence
parry - useable 20%-10% of the time
Beserk - possible death sentance

SO half of the warrior skills are questionable useful. Compare that to any of the other paths, and the warrior gets the shaft.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Warriors don't have a limitation on the armor they can wear, they have the most armor and life and can deal the most damage continuously, there is no count or stipulation as to how they can deliver the damage other than having a weapon and with monk even that can be gotten around, none of their skills have a charge time where as all of the other paths do.

3 Master backstabs should kill a warrior IMO, anyone that gets 3 people descending on them in this game should be in some serious trouble.

Berserk and Endurance mean that the warrior has the option of running or crawling away or drinking potions and fighting on, everyone else has the option to bleed.

Hold Ground along with Berserk and Endurance are situation specific, if 2 warriors would have used Hold Ground to protect the couple of people working on the "clock" I wouldn't have nearly stepped on the lifeless Ashe. Admittedly it isn't something that will always be useful and in fact will rarely be useful, but how many traps have we come across? How many times has surgery been used?

I don't think that damage is going to go down to 1 from 3-10, I'm thinking that monster damage will probably be more like 2-5 which would mean that parry is still very useful, maybe not against other paths but it never has been very useful against other paths since most of the time they deal 1.

I didn't realize that a ranged melee attack wasn't considered a melee attack, maybe it should be. Counter to bow is to get out of the way or a shield, it doesn't surge like magic so no need to resist it the same way magic is, it's like other melee damage, don't get hit.

And Eric just because every suggestion isn't taken doesn't mean that your suggestions and comments aren't considered.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Repost

Post by Nelkie »

Warriors don't have a limitation on the armor they can wear, they have the most armor and life and can deal the most damage continuously, there is no count or stipulation as to how they can deliver the damage other than having a weapon and with monk even that can be gotten around, none of their skills have a charge time where as all of the other paths do.

Reply: True, but that is what a warrior is suppose to do.

3 Master backstabs should kill a warrior IMO, anyone that gets 3 people descending on them in this game should be in some serious trouble.

Reply: in the old rules it took any where from 4-6 backstab to kill a fully powered warrior. In the new rules it only takes 3-4. see a big difference? I also agree if 3 people attack 1 person , that person should die or be in very big trouble.

Berserk and Endurance mean that the warrior has the option of running or crawling away or drinking potions and fighting on, everyone else has the option to bleed.

Reply: Under the new rules a beserk and endurance can only be used in combat. If they leave combat or stop fighting they drop down to determination and start to bleed to death. Another path can have determination for 20 points. So endurance and beserk are not that big of a benefit. Also remember, you can only use 2 heal potions while in negatives which is a max of -8 + base life a warrior can go with out a healer near by. If there is enough people and healers around a person can back from server negatives, but it is not easy. It very hard to bring a person back from -15 and beyond with out the chance of the person dying from the bag. Not to mention a warrior who is fighting in negatives is asking for the 30 boom or that 12 backstab to take them into the deep negatives. A smart warrior will leave battle when they get down to 1 or 2 life points if they can.

Hold Ground along with Berserk and Endurance are situation specific, if 2 warriors would have used Hold Ground to protect the couple of people working on the "clock" I wouldn't have nearly stepped on the lifeless Ashe. Admittedly it isn't something that will always be useful and in fact will rarely be useful, but how many traps have we come across? How many times has surgery been used?

Reply: I have used my disarm trap skill every session, and surgery is the most non combat skill used in game. If it wasn’t for surgery most of the town would be dead. I agree disarm traps Is not that useful, but the rouge gets nerve pinch, back stab, and create traps. All very useful skills. Please explain to how parry, +2 armor from utilize armor, and bezerk compare to that.

I don't think that damage is going to go down to 1 from 3-10, I'm thinking that monster damage will probably be more like 2-5 which would mean that parry is still very useful, maybe not against other paths but it never has been very useful against other paths since most of the time they deal 1.

Reply: My I ask you where you are getting your numbers from? The game was designed around 1 damage as the main stay call. My I ask why the armor values where dropped. I the reason was to balance out the game so the monsters did not have to swing 2-5 damage all the time. If the monster keep at the damage level level they are at under the new rules, everyone in town will die at the next event. OH what fun that would be!

I didn't realize that a ranged melee attack wasn't considered a melee attack, maybe it should be. Counter to bow is to get out of the way or a shield, it doesn't surge like magic so no need to resist it the same way magic is, it's like other melee damage, don't get hit.

Reply: That goes against the principles of the game. The counter to all the other skills has nothing to do with a person combat ability, and why should bow be any different. 9-12 vorpal can kill most non-warrior characters. The bow had a resist before, and you never had a problem with before, why do you have a problem with it now? (9 vorpal magic, resisted by resist magic)
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

-Reply: True, but that is what a warrior is suppose to do.

And there-in lies their advantage in combat.

-Reply: in the old rules it took any where from 4-6 backstab to kill a fully powered warrior. In the new rules it only takes 3-4. see a big difference? I also agree if 3 people attack 1 person , that person should die or be in very big trouble.

Yeah I see a big difference, it's more balanced and a warrior actually has something to fear from being set upon by 3 full path rogues.

-Reply: Under the new rules a beserk and endurance can only be used in combat. If they leave combat or stop fighting they drop down to determination and start to bleed to death. Another path can have determination for 20 points. So endurance and beserk are not that big of a benefit. Also remember, you can only use 2 heal potions while in negatives which is a max of -8 + base life a warrior can go with out a healer near by. If there is enough people and healers around a person can back from server negatives, but it is not easy. It very hard to bring a person back from -15 and beyond with out the chance of the person dying from the bag. Not to mention a warrior who is fighting in negatives is asking for the 30 boom or that 12 backstab to take them into the deep negatives. A smart warrior will leave battle when they get down to 1 or 2 life points if they can.

I'll say it again NO ONE ELSE GETS THE OPTION TO FIGHT IN NEGATIVES!!!! True it may end up being detremental but it gives the option, everyone else simply starts to bleed to death and if they've bought determination then they have an option to drink a potion but try that with someone standing over you.

-Reply: I have used my disarm trap skill every session, and surgery is the most non combat skill used in game. If it wasn’t for surgery most of the town would be dead. I agree disarm traps Is not that useful, but the rouge gets nerve pinch, back stab, and create traps. All very useful skills. Please explain to how parry, +2 armor from utilize armor, and bezerk compare to that.

Traps and Nerve Pinch, not very useful skills in combat, but useful in specialized situations outside of melee. I believe that Nerve Pinch was changed to 20 seconds, which is a very long time not to get hit or have to defend yourself in a combat situation. I meant the bag portion of surgery, yes surgery is used often and is probably one of the best skills in the game along with the stabilizing skill. Note, all of the good healer skills are limited to med armor.

-Reply: My I ask you where you are getting your numbers from? The game was designed around 1 damage as the main stay call. My I ask why the armor values where dropped. I the reason was to balance out the game so the monsters did not have to swing 2-5 damage all the time. If the monster keep at the damage level level they are at under the new rules, everyone in town will die at the next event. OH what fun that would be!

Well since I have been playing the game I have not come across a monster that swung 1, most have swung between 3 and 6 with the occasional 10 which the master was swinging. I can't be certain of the NPC's intentions extremely weak monsters will probably swing 1 but lions, bears, ogres and such will probably swing 2-5 with few being able to do 4-5. Most monsters would probably have warrior as a path.

-Reply: That goes against the principles of the game. The counter to all the other skills has nothing to do with a person combat ability, and why should bow be any different. 9-12 vorpal can kill most non-warrior characters. The bow had a resist before, and you never had a problem with before, why do you have a problem with it now? (9 vorpal magic, resisted by resist magic)

What goes aginst the principles of the game? The only way as of now to resist straight damage is parry and a spell that lets you ignore the next melee attack, which is why I said that ranged melee should be considered melee. I did have a problem with the call having magic automatically attatched to it, I thought that it made it to easy to resist and apparently so did the GM's. Just because I don't start a thread about every rules concern I have doesn't mean that I don't have any or haven't spoken to someone about it.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

For note, Every warrior skill (with the exception of armor) costs a life point instead of a time limit. You run out of life real fast when you spend 3 a combat (1 for rage, 1 for parry, 1 for a second rage since you have to drop rage to parry).

As for 3 on 1, I think all being equal the 3 should win. However, if played smartly the 1 should have a chance given the 1 is a master warrior and the 3 aren't. Right now, it's much closer to 2 on 1 for this scenario.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Very true but drinking a potion is rather quick, so regaining those lost HP can be done fairly quickly, there is no way to speed up count times.

See we differ in opinion, I think that 3 masters at dealing 1 deadbly blow should have little problem dropping a warrior if they all get their backstab off. But if 1 of those guys hesitates then the warrior has a chance albeit extremely slim. The warrior has a slight advantage in 2 on 1 if he uses Berserk and most of the time will prevail. Which is about right in my eyes a master warrior can take 2 master rogues but 3 probably not.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You realize you just contradicted your own statement about how easy it is to drink potions within two posts?

"they have an option to drink a potion but try that with someone standing over you"

"drinking a potion is rather quick, so regaining those lost HP can be done fairly quickly"

And for note, I agree three backstabs should drop a warrior, and they will. However, it doesn't take three master rogues to deliver three backstabs. Currently, two rogues have more hp, possibly more armor, and do the same damage as a warrior, plus have backstab.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

OOO lots of stuff!

WEll we really dont want any 1 shot deaths, though I understand that we do have them in a way.

ONLY comment I will make in this thread is arrows and booms are both able to be countered by EVERYONE in the game.

It is called a shield. :)

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

No I didn't contradict myself, one situation is you in negatives lying on the ground the other is you standing in positives with the ability to defend yourself, big difference.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Counters

Post by Nelkie »

The point I'm trying to make is with bow is there is not skill in game to counter the massive damage call. Most of the 1 hit kill skills have counters that do not take in a person out of game combat skill.

Effect Counters
Crush Armor, empath armor bonus, flee, etc
Vorpal Empath life buffer, harden skin, flee, etc
Nerve Pinch Armor
Stun Strike Armor
Channel Resist Magic
Root Resist Magic
Fear Resist Magic
Sleep Resist Sleep
Backstab Armor, flee, harden skin, flee,etc
Bows Empath life buffer, harden skin, flee
Stun if hit the stun wears off

I'm only saying if the saage could give a resist damage as one of their resists, than the possible leathness of bows, crush, vorpal, and backstab would be nullied a little. The issue is do you want a resist magic, sleep, or damage from your sage?

Question: Can lash be parried?
Question: I'm assuming a powered arrow can break a shield, yes/no? (9-12 vorpal)
Question: What happens to a person when they are rooted & feared?
Question: What is going to be the average monster damage call?

Ok I just thought of a nasty combo
Stun a person (no counter), take helemt off, than nerve pinch them, than kill them. Can not use an resist if stun (true or not?). It is a 2 person attack (monk & rouge)
My Thoughts

Aaron
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

ONLY comment I will make in this thread is arrows and booms are both able to be countered by EVERYONE in the game.

It is called a shield.
Maybe I'm thinking of an old rule... it is hard to keep up sometimes... but isn't a boom crush or surge damage? Meaning, doesn't it go through the shield and hit you anyway?