Mimic

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I thought you were to decipher the written words and if you don't write those words translated onto another piece of paper, then you'd have to spend another hour on it because as soon as you're done reading it, you forget it.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Zydana is correct. That is how the skill is worded
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Bringing up another thought dealing with mimicing read/write; What would you need in order to learn (mimic) another language?

The name of the language you wish to know?
Someone who can teach you?
A book on that language?
A sample writting piece of that language?

As the current rules are, I guess any or none of the above will do as we don't need a source to learn it.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

On a side note, could a sage or anyone with read/write for that matter unlearn their language and learn a new one? Currently, this is not possible, but whjy not have languages known work like skills for unlearning and learning.

ie. I'm an evil empath and I really want to know what's in Nuk's spellbook that I stole, but as we all know it's in elvish. I never plan to get more levels in sage than what I have but decide to study elvish and stop looking at dwarvish for an event (the other language being common). After the event, I switch those languages, and next event I'll be able to read all her spells and be even more evil.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Zydana wrote:I thought you were to decipher the written words and if you don't write those words translated onto another piece of paper, then you'd have to spend another hour on it because as soon as you're done reading it, you forget it.
Ok so the next time you come across that language can't you pull out your handy dandy translation page and figure out whats written? Or would you have to spend the time again even though you have translations written down? I can see the point that there maybe different words but that really isn't how code breaking works, you figure out syllables and letters.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You talking code breaking vrs reading a language.

Think Daniel in SG1. This dude SPEAKS anchient and he still brings out his books every episode to translate some language, even those he has seen before.

This is how it works.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I can understand that but then shouldn't it be easier once you have the "code" written down?
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Its not a code..that was evans suggestion in another thread. It is a language
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Right Chris, I understand that but when I see "la" I know that it's the spanish feminine singular 1st person for "the" and I've had half a year of spanish nearly 20 years ago. What I'm saying is that even in language reading you write down the translations so that later it's easier to figure out.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

Except that half a year is different from half an hour. If the person spent half a year on the language, they'd have read/write in that language. Here's a good question. Could someone buy the first path skill (from sage) more than once? Say 3 times so they know 6 languages?
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Sticky Wicket

Post by cole45 »

That right there is a sticky wicket. If you can buy sage languages more than once, what's to stop you from buying say, combat reflexes more than once.
Travis Cole
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Ug wrote:Except that half a year is different from half an hour. If the person spent half a year on the language, they'd have read/write in that language. Here's a good question. Could someone buy the first path skill (from sage) more than once? Say 3 times so they know 6 languages?
That is very true but we spent a few days, basically a few hours learning alot of the basic words and their tenses. And then theres the 20 years of potsmoking since. I learned a few Latin phrases and words in minutes for my character. I just feel like once you have gone over the language enough to write down a translation for something it should be much easier after that. But then again that also means more complex rules.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Maybe what we need to read/write be outside all paths and disciplines and let people buy it cheap 1 language at a time. :)
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

when I see "la" I know that it's the spanish feminine singular 1st person for "the"
I think Chris point is made by the fact that its also French....so you do need to know more than just a word to decypher or even recognise a language.

If the text said la fromage, id know its french, if it was la negre...i know its spanish.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

cheap language

Post by cole45 »

You charge 10 skill points / language. That's half of the sage.

Or 20 for the sage skill, and five skill points after that /language. (you have to buy or get sage first.)
Travis Cole