basic question about damage

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

basic question about damage

Post by Brikal Farside »

a little confused here... the revamped field repair progression for armor seems a bit harsh unless I consider this question:

Do we have an option of applying damage that we take to either armor or life?

I've heard rumors to such, but I always took damage on my armor first, unless it was a vorpal call.

So, please clarify, do we HAVE to take melee damage on armor first or is there an option to take it off life first (which would be easier to regenerate than armor)?

As it stands with the new field repair schedule, if no such damage option exists, my armor will be tanked friday night....

spence
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You can always opt to spend resources to repair it to full after you've run it down.

And to answer the question, yes there is the option, it's called parry. :D
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

But do people who don't have the ability to parry take damage off whatever is convienent? i.e. Say you have 5 LP (and X amount of armor), and some monster swings twice at you for 2 each, connecting both times. Then you take the monster out. Would you, in that instance take the 4 off your life, and then go join a healing circle because its much easier to get LP back then the armor? I think thats what Spencer was getting at.

And if that is the case, I really can't see anyone taking more damage then they have in LP and going down, without using their armor. It seems someone would probably take damage off LP until they're almost dead, then shift the incurred damage to armor -- which isn't really cool.

Seems like if you have armor, it needs to come off armor first, unless it's vorpal damage. And as such, the halving of armor points for every field repair does seem rather steep.
Moo.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You always take damage in this order (barring vorpal)

armor spells/sage/potions - actual armor - harden skin - life spell/sage/potions - actual life

As far as the steepness of the field repair, on one quest into the woods how many times do you field repair your armor? Twice is about the most I can recall for myself. As for those without the warrior bonuses for armor, well, generally you shouldn't be in melee combat anyway so half is still better than none. This is actually a very old rule that is just being re-implemented. Basically, the objective is to make metal and hide resources at least something of a concern.
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

One trip into the woods, not many. But during the 3 hour siege on the inn Friday night, I sure could have used repair quite a few times. It just seemed to me that an awful lot of people that were completely clad in medium or heavy armor were joining healing circles at the end of most minor encounters -- Encounters that shouldn't have aced all of the armor on these peoples. I'm probably off my rocker on this one, and if the order you posted is the way it goes, sounds good to me! Might have to blow some points and bring in another set. You bring more than one, right?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I have two suits (not on me) genreally that I use during an event. By the end they each have been repaired a couple times. Granted last event I had to more stingy as there were some hefty monsters attacking us, so I used parry more frequently to take damage to my hitpoints and save my armor for the big fights.

And last event was somewhat of an anomoly as a big plot was being finished and another (sort of) beginning.