Emulate Totem

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

Emulate Totem

Post by WayneO42 »

Ok, we revisited the Emulate Totem skill (4th Level Druid) on Saturday and have a few ideas, however, we would like to see what you all think. We would like the druid to pick an animal and then be able to call upon some skills related to that animal. An example might be a druid who has picked Bear as his animal. He could call upon the totem to swing claws for the duration of the scene by spending a life point or put himself in hibernation slowing the time it takes to bleed to death. Any ideas for skills? Mechanics? I think Emulate totem has the potential to be a cool skill but it needs a mighty tweek.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I agree, it could be a very fun, adaptable skill. It also has the potential to enhance other disciplines or paths in very cool ways. Here are a couple ideas...

Beaver-chew through a wood wall, stay underwater for several minutes.

Cheetah-shortened flee(like only 3 or 5 seconds), fast climb up tree

Owl-bonus to spot and/or lore

Snake-sense heat(useful for telling undead apart from living, bonus to spot enemies in dark, etc.), bonus damage to poisons crafted.

Bull- Press and minor Impale (charging bull).

Mechanically, any abilities should cost at least one life point, and it should take some time to activate the emulation. It would be fun to have some little phys. rep when the druid is emulating. like a couple spots on the face for cheetah, rings around eyes for raccoon, etc.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Honestly, for ease of use, I'd keep it within the current skills already in existance. just make the total add up to 4 (possibly 5). (ie claws would be 3 since monk gets this (sorta) at 3rd level) Path and race skills could be used too at a cost for 1 for basic/racial, 2 for advanced, and 4 for master. This is simple and complexity is the mother of all evils.

Reason I mention 5, is basically, then someone with a bear, could have level 1 monk and crush. Couldn't block weapons but could deliver crush with his hands. Heck I could even see snake with a slander ability (snake tonue and all). All in how you explain it. (He'd be semi hypnotizing them to believe that these were bad people)

Though one may never have a weapon focus... or any way of getting +1 to damage (with rage being the single exception). Otherwise, you open yourself up for people swinging 4.

By making up new skills, you only allow for massive abuse.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I agree with Eric, and some of the monster path abilities can be useful for this too. I would try and keep new calls out since they would all need to be tested and balanced and so on.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

There will be no new calls created, so work around what we got.

As for the point system, thats close to what I was thinking, although on a smaller scale. My thought was to have a list of possibilties, much like our Guild Abilities, each with a value.
(very) Rough Examples;
Claws, Horns, etc (1 damage) = 1 pt
Animal Speed (limited flee) = 1 pt
Enhanced Senses (spot) = 1 pt
Poisonous (lvl 1 poison) = 1 pt
Fearsom (fear effect) = 1 pt
Charge (impale) = 2 pts
Ferocious (+1 dam) = 2 pts

Each Druid has 3 points to invest, (once chosen they never change) so he could pick Fear/Spot/Flee [3], or Claws/Damage [3]
It kind of opens it up to creating an animal persona which I like, but we have to make sure that it is balanced as a 4th lvl of a discipline. If it adds too many effects it becomes far more powerful than many of the other Disciplines.

~the Lunatic fringe~