Submitting spells

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Onyksi Rin'oviryn
Town Member
Town Member

Submitting spells

Post by Onyksi Rin'oviryn »

Can we submit spells for approval?

Who would I submit them to?

Any guidelines you can give me for writing my own spells?
Let me be the one you need, I shall be the one you feed. All I am and all you see, is all I will and ever be.

Onyksi del Rin'oviryn
"Nuk"
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Yes, I will definitely second this. And I know that Steve will third it. We have been talking about the Arcane for a while now, and we will start writing spells if there is a GM that is willing to read them and approve them.

Ryan
Lost my train of thought.....
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

That would be me. At least in the initial stages. Remember nothing gets aproved till its play tested, and given the ok by 3 marshalls.

Send em to me at;
tommieperfect@comcast.net

basic details to think about.
Level
Effect
Casting time
Duration
Side effects and/or Cost (component)

These things are mearly guidlines, and may be changed, but it gives us an idea of what your looking for. Basically you submit it, we look it over, we give you back the final version. This simulates your studies to find the right formula. Blah, blah, blah.

hope that clears up some of it.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

What are the requirements to research a spell? Ability to cast it plus Sage path? or Just the ability to cast the spell?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

This is actually a topic in the rule questions sent to Chris, since Aaron has been trying to research spells for over a year now and all.

Not sure who else the list should be submitted to?
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

There are no technical requirements to 'research' a spell. However, the more qualified you are to do so, the more likely you are to happen upon an answer. As always, feel free to send an requests for spells to me at tommieperfect@comcast.net
Please keep in mind that researching something in no way guarantees that you will discover what you are looking for. You may discover after long months of research, that your ideas where flawed (i.e. not approved) or that they are beyond your capabilities.

In addition OOG time restraints could be aplied for the simple fact that we were unable to play-test the new spells, and are holding off on a final descission.

Hope that helps clear the air a bit.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think you've rehersed that speech... :D

Any way for us to know which of the above possibilities that might be?
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

No rehersals, straight off the cuff. :D

I'm not sure I understand the question, posibilities for what?
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Well let me be frank researching a spell is like adding a new skill. I will veto ANYTHING that adds a damage call, is too complicated without a causing a gamestop. Causes a gamestop without around 10 plus minutes of casting, or is too powerful for the amount of time spent. Also, if the spell duplicates or shodes out an existing skill or class in-game, or if it takes away the dissadvantages of a class without adding a significant dissadvantage.

Also remember that if you are tring to sneak through a super combo and that combo gets approved we will simply get pissed off at you and reverse what ever it is you did in game pissing you off, and then most likely harm your character in some way.

Basically spell research as the potential of being extreamly harmful to your character since it has the potential of pissing us off to a great degree.

What do we want arcane to be? Arcane is to add a ooky element to the game that is balanced with the rest if the classes. Unlike some games wizards will NOT be more powerful than other disciplines.

Think Arcane is already too powerful? We could make arcane a path and sage a discipline. :)
Too be honest I have been leaning that way.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

We were leaning towards arcane as a path way in the beginning. If I remember right, we had problems fleshing out the path. Any ideas for skills beyond the ability to cast? I can't really think of any unless we rethink the metaphysics of casting and break spells up into spell types or something.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

Chris and Todd

Are there at least blanket 3rd and 4th level spells for the Arcane that you have come up with, so if someone decided to max out the Arcane discipline they could cast something.

This would also create basic guidelines for "researching" spells of the same potency. and hopefully keeping the pissing off of people somewhere between slim and nonexistent.

Thanks
Ryan
Lost my train of thought.....
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

We do have some spells in mind, and infact had some spells tied to plots that never panned out, (ie. the PCs took the plot in a different direction than we thought, and so bypassed the reward in mind)
[editors note; this was not done as a penalty, the plot changed so that the reward was not found where it was{it may still remain there, unclaimed}]
Otherwise any spells are up to the PCs to Investigate or Invent. The easiest way to explain it is, forget D&D. You do not automatically get spells as you level up. You simply gain the 'ability' to weild more powerful magiks. Discovering what to do with that power is up to the player.

Guideline will be coming with the rules update. Nothing indepth, but a general idea of what to do, so as to minimize the confusion between PC, and NPC camps.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Does anyone have a spell idea they would like to post? Then we could go over it here so PCs can have an idea of the sort of things that we as GMs veto or have concerns with. If someone has a spell, start a new thread in this forum or PM me. One spell only please.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Spells

Post by Nelkie »

I understand why you are being so careful. (So the game balance is not upset)

So you want the arcane to be a path. Here is my take

Disapline (Sage)
Level 1
Can read and write (1 langauge)
Level 2
Can research things between events
Level 3
Can learn to read and write any langauge (takes 1 inbetween event to do so)
level 4
Get 1 hint every 5 minutes

Arcane
Can where no armor, same life points a sage
Starts with 3 spells (spells that mimic the sage abilities, + armor, resists, 5 damage swing)

Level 1
Ability to cast spells

Read write 1 langauge

Ability to sense magic

Level 2
Ability to cast better spells

Identify magic items (Takes in between event time)

Ability to create 1 shot magic items

Level 3
Ability to cast the most powerful magic spells

Research new spells (Can research a new spell, takes 1 inbetween event to researcha spell)

Ability to create perment magic effects (items)

That is my ideas for now
My Thoughts

Aaron
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I am against making it a Path. I think its an unneccessary complication.