Bow use for everyone

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Eek! Specialized arrows! Complexity! Evil thoughts... Brain leaking out ears... *thud*

As for decisions, those don't necessarily take long. However getting it changed in either the rulebook or an official statment... :D Sorry, can't help but poke a little fun. :D

And to add to the point, what number does it put you when you actually write up two+ pages of rule breaks and the NPCs declare in order to deal with you, there must be three of them present?

"Can I make a level 2 spell that creates 5.2 bunnies?"
"Sure"
"Can Eli make a crafted item that works like a blender but using a crank?"
"Sure"
"Can Eli also make a cart that can support 360lbs?"
"Sure"
"If that cart was fully loaded could Ka pull it by himself?"
"Sure"
"Sweet now I can power the bunny cannon 5.2 we stripped from a plot 2 years ago that does packet driven 32 vorpal lash and it'll be mobile"
"Er, wait..."

Just gotta love Aaron...
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

You could probably have a craftsman do some arrows for you that have different uses like whistling signal arrows or an alchemist and craftsman could give you bright light signal arrows or something like that but I think that they are trying to get away from things that do more damage. They are removing the potions that do more damage from the game and I assume the spells also, I don't think they are going to start having other things do more damage. I think that they recognize that they may have to look at the monsters and adjust some things for certain monsters. Some may have a thick hide that is considered armor and some may simply have tons of life. Flesh golems have tons of life but something like a giant turtle would probably have lots of armor pts for his shell and few life.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brikal Farside »

HA!... :D sounds like something I'd do....

thing is, I'm not looking for a power bomb. I'm looking to be more effective in combat with a bow. And it doesn't matter that I have these special magic-arrow-true-vorpal-double #$%$ damage skills.

The comment that seems to keep coming back after a rant, is

"well, yeah, right now your not doing much damage, cuz your low level. but a high level archer who charges a... "

it doesn't matter because the base damage is so low. last event, even if i had the higher level skills, the only time I would have used them is at the beginning of a battle or scene; when I had time to use a skill. then it would either be back to melee (where I would be dealing more damage for my trouble anyway), or back to dealing 1 vorpal every 10 to 15 secs.
I for one, would give up both higher level shooting skills for higher base damage. I don't want to use a bow just for the special skills.

eh... whatever.... I'm just whining.... I'll still stick with it, though... I Love the weapon.

spence
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Yeah, the damage has been smacked down hard. When I made the point that I could run around swinging 10/6 vorpal/shoot 24 vorpal, in a system based on 1 damage weapons, the house got cleaned.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Question, why should an arrow do more damage than all other weapons? Every other weapon in the game does 1 damage, everything in the game is based on that. And the skills will matter if you use them wisely, you say you want to be more effective in combat, coat your arrow tips with toxin or sleep potion or any of a # of things, have an arcane imbue a few bolts. The point of the game is that it's extremely hard to be an uber badass by yourself, teamwork is your best bet to being truly effective.
You have to look at the entire system and yes there is a disadvantage to having a crossbow in the load time but the advantage is that you can hit life directly and be out of harms way while doing so. There will be times when the NPC's will be desperately avoiding the bowman because they have low life. Just an FYI the archer is the only person that can kill every other combo with 1 shot if given a charge time. You may not like the skills that archer gets but they are balanced against other things in the game. If you want to do mega damage in melee be a warrior, then you can do 3 damage after spending 2 of your own life and forgoing any rational behavior like drinking potions or taking wounded off of the field.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Can't kill me in one shot :D Right now, I believe I can take 4 fully powered arrows, or 4 30 booms.

And for reference, fury doesn't exist anymore.

Also 6 magic vorpal should be able to kill most critters in one hit, once the beastiery is fixed. 12 should proably take down things like bears I'd guess.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I stated that wrong, it should have said take anyone into negatives, obviously a warrior can still act in negatuves. How can you take 4 full arrows? I can see how you can have 11 life with the right disciplines. Heavy crossbow does (2 +2 ) X 3=12. Not counting the 5 extra life you can get or any potion or spell effects or any bonuses to the arrow from Sage or anything else. The 4 30 booms thing doesn't make any sense either unless you're counting the shield absorbing 1 even then if you can take 90 pts of damage without any spells or alchemy or any of that then that is f#%&ed up.

Forgot about the fury removal but that only goes to show that noone can do base 3 unless they are a warrior of at least advanced level and have one of the disciplines that give you a damage bonus at 4th level.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Bow Damage

Post by Nelkie »

I have to agree that the bow damage is low. My suggestion for a fix is keep everything as is expect that a quality bow or crossbow can do an extra base damage. (This very powerful)

Quality bo - 2 vorpal = max 12 vorpal
Quality X-bow - 3 vorpal = max 15 vorpal

I believe we should fear fully powered archers.
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually, it's 3 life too :D

And I'll just leave it up in the air about the damage. :D Just be glad it's not 9 (which is feasiable and not including resist effect)
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Just to clarify, a heavy crossbow, the most powerful ranged weapon in the game currently, maxes out at 8, not 12 (see my scenario 3 that was informally "ruled" on).

Just wanted to get everyone on the same page, so when something is decided upon, its no longer in the hands of user discretion.

Bob
Moo.
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

<sarcasticly>Now Bob,

according to wayne, a person that sees a target in the feild can start charging the true-shoot and then the magic arrow. thats 12MV. (the two skills are stackable, and putting them in order TS first and MA next....)

O la tee, O la daaa.... Life goes oonnnn......

Ryan
(if i had a gun, and only one bullet, i would shoot myself)
Lost my train of thought.....
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

right, i was assuming precharging, so that you can walk -- my bad. If you want to wait 40 seconds after you've picked a target out you can do 12. But you're only doing 8 if you charge your arrow before you go out.
Moo.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Maxed out at 8 if you charge magic arrow first. However, if you charge the true shot first then you end up at 12. You are allowed to do that as far as I know.

Before it was intended to not be that way because of potions, spells and sage adding damage, but that led to the problem of swashbucklers swinging 6 vorpal (it was a big issue on base damage vs. damage). After doing away with any damage enhancing sources beyond weapon foci, true shot, magic arrow, and rage (and berserk) it's no longer an issue.

There is also talk about possibly making quality bows (only bows) do +1 damage, bringing them up even with heavy crossbows. Bowmen shooting 12 will defintely knock down things.

Another thought could be to bring the magic arrow skill down to 20 count, if true shot requires a target. So for a 30 count you could do 12 vorpal which is very comparable to a 30 boom (60 count) or 3 10 booms (30 count minimum).
Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brikal Farside »

I'm only saying that being a combat archer in the field and being a one hit assassin are entirely different things... the rules and skills slant toward being a johnnyOnetimer....
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

A bowman without some form of wall _is_ a johnnyOneTimer... :D