Bow use for everyone

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Exactly or a dead man if he refuses to pull out his melee weapon once the victim figures out where the shot came from. And if you think that your statement is true try counting to 30 while standing still in the middle of combat, an archer or an assasin or an empath are not designed to be able to just pick people off quickly they do massive damage or a deadly effect but they take time to do it. an archer wants to be out of combat for the most part shooting from behind the fighters or from a spot off in the woods.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brikal Farside »

heh... not really, tho.. on the road to get the herbs saturday morning, (encountering slime and stuff) I got off many shots with prolly 85% accuracy (guessing 22ish of 25ish hits). this was essentially open field combat, no cover. I took shots around others, and never hit a companion.

earlier question was "why should a bow do more damage?"

cuz the trade-off is time. A sword is a completely different weapon than a bow. just for game mechanics the damage almost needs to be higher just to make it a competitive choice for weaponry. If this makes the special archery skills too powerful, then back those off some. the advantage I get from vorpal is non-existent right now, considering the type of enemies that have been npc'd so far and the type that are likely to come about in the future. (but we've already spoken about npc armor, tho.)

I've a general question...

Wondering if it's possible to participate in the playtesting for archery?? the rest of my compatriots are interested as well, I'm sure... we do have all these crossbows sitting around till next year.... :)
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
Curufin
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Curufin »

in which case he is no longer an archer, he is a melee combater.
Lost my train of thought.....
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Situations make the diiference really on the road there was a monster calling lash, you could hit it without being in harms way, not true for melee weapons
And yes at that point he is an archer fighting for his life in melee combat same as an assasin that tries to sleep someone that is immune or has a resist up or an empath that booms a witch hunter.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think you're looking to be competitive in combat as a pure bow user and that just isn't going to happen. Bows are a support weapon not a main attack. There is no way a bow can do as much damage over time as a sword (unless you watch LotR)...

As for the road combat, you had a "wall" to hide behind, not an actual wall mind you but we kept things busy while you pot shotted them. Now had you taken a few more shots at the guy charging the 30 booms... :D

Your power comes in the form you can nail their chargers so we can take out their meleers and then finish off the chargers. You have the same role as an empath except you do 3 vorpal and they do 5 (or 8 in the case of elves) boom. Fairly even trade if you ask me.

As for playtesting, seeing as it snowed last night, all I can say is ow. Frozen foam hurts and tape becomes very brittle. The sheer attrition on weapons sucks doing winter combat. Granted, I'll be there if someone organizes it. Heck, I'll even set up some combat scenarios to run through to demonstrate possible bugs.
Trevor Owen
GM

Bows, bows bows

Post by Trevor Owen »

think about it this way, even at the height of the longbow, you wouldn't take an army of just archers out against cavalry. Sure you can shoot at them six times before they get to you, but if even a handfull of those cavalry soldiers get to you, your whole army of archers is toast. The bow is a support or guerrilla weapon. It is not a front line weapon, if you want to stand on the line, pick up a pike.

-Trevor :)
Master of witless lore and red herrings
Trevor Owen
GM

one other thing...

Post by Trevor Owen »

Eric PM me and tell me how you can take four fully charged arrows without dropping... not counting the arcane spell which is being worked on.

Trevor
Master of witless lore and red herrings
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Bob, Curufin, Brikal,

You guys have to remember that you have only been at one event and the event you were at had you battling the biggest bad asses in the arsenal. The past event wrapped up a lot of plot that has been developing since the game started. The things that were thrown at you were meant to be more on the "Heroic" scale. It was probably a good event to be a newbie at as far as plot but a bad one to be a newbie at as far as creatures go. I assure you that the majority of creatures will go down if hit by a 12 vorpal, heck, a lot of creatures will go down if hit with 4 vorpal.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Yea, i don't think any of us really have a big problem with any of the damage, i think its fine -- rather just making suggestions to compensate for what was seen last event. I just wanted to be able to get more power out of the phys-rep crossbows and have a few things explained to me.... We're totally aware that between us being 0 level characters last event, and you guys taking care of other plot lines, our perception of normal FH combat is a little skewed, i'm sure it will be corrected next event.

Thanks!

Bob-z
Moo.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

One thing that was overlooked in the trade-off is "Range". Yes you have a loading time, which Melee does not. But what warrior can attack from across the feild?

~the Lunatic fringe~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Bows

Post by Nelkie »

In the past I have tried to use crossbows and bows in game and found them not worth the hassel.
First a bow & arrows and a x-bow and bolts take a lot of room up on a person. You have to jugel them when you switch into melle combat. You do not what to put them on the ground becasue it is a good way to get them broken (some stepping on them in battle, or tripping over them, safety issues)

So I can understand where they are coming from. Making a bow a some what useful weapon in a LARP setting.

Yes I agree a bow person will not be in the front line and be fire support, but make it worth while.

Suggestion is to lower the count time on magic arrow to 20 count and allow +1 base damage for quality bows and x-bows.

Maxed out archer with quality weapon
15 vorpal at a chossen target for a 30 count (magic damge) easier to resist. ranged. Need to carry a bow and 7 arrows. Takes time to reload the bow or cross-bow

Maxed out Empath
15+ magic at any target. does not require equipment
Ranged. Need to carry packets. Quicker reload time

So, an archer is comparable to an empath, but I still think an empath has the greater power if you can throw straight.

Question: Can rage be used with a bow?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Brikal Farside
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Brikal Farside »

A. just wanted to second what Bob was sayin.... next time will be awesomer.... no matter what gets figured out...

2. I understand the comparison to empath, and that's actually a good point...

God, I can't wait for march....

spence
Good.... Bad.... I'm the guy with the crossbow.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Aaron, I was given a big negatory on the rage with a bow a few monthes ago. The skill does need that noted in it that it is melee only. Basically with rage you are swinging harder, faster, etc, which has zero to do with how hard a bow/xbow hits. (Yeah, I know a stronger person could pull back a longbow a bit further but rage would probably screw up his aim.)

And Trevor if I told you that'd be like cheating. :) Sure, I'll send you a pm, though you have to keep it a secret.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

15 vorpal and 15 are not comparable at all against most things.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

15 vorpal would be max archer with +1 crossbow.

This is comparable to an empath with the +2 guild bonus. And a smart empath is an elf, so you have 30 damage (3 10 booms)

and 15 vorpal is almost identical to 30 boom.

And both can destroy shields...