General Rules regarding charging skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

WayneO42
GM

General Rules regarding charging skills

Post by WayneO42 »

The discussion regarding the Archer discipline and Bows has got me thinking about some general rules that can apply across the board to charging skills:

1) You may only charge one skill at a time.
2) Charged skills are not stackable unless stated otherwise. If stated that the skills can be stacked, modifiers are applied in the order they are charged. If a modifier does not require a charge time, it is added first. Modifiers gained through the use of a life point are added before modifiers from charged skills.
3) Unless stated otherwise (or the effect has a duration time), all charged skills require a target at the time of charging.
4) If you are hit while charging, you must start over
5) If hit while "Holding" a charged skill effect, it is lost.

Thoughts? I know there has to be some more standard rules but this should get the discussion going.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Charge Skills

Post by Nelkie »

Wayne,

I believe there is more charge up skills that do not require a target than there is that do require a target. My feeling it should be explained in the skill description if a targetis required or not.

Everything ele sounds good.
It should be stated inthe rule description if another skill can be used with it. (True shot and magic arow) (Rage and vorpal), etc
My Thoughts

Aaron
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

This would seemingly not apply to all situations, as the master was hit while holding charges and they did not disapate.
Bob-Z (kabre)
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Bob-Z (kabre) »

Wayne, if the above guidelines for charging are accurate, then my "scenario 3" from the bow discussion (which we decided was the best way to go) doesn't work anymore. Scenario three stated:

A 4th level archer (heavy xbow) can walk around with a 6 magic vorpal bolt ready (as a result of waiting for 30 seconds for magic (2base *3magic), and can opt to use true-shot when target has been acquired and a 10 second count has been initiated to represent the "steady" time.) In this situation the archer can opt to shoot for 6 magic vorpal right away, or wait up to 10 seconds to deal 8 magic vorpal.

If the guidlines for charging are followed in this situation, an archer can only walk around with his standard 2vorpal ready, and then opt to charge for 40 seconds to deal the 12magic vorpal when a target has been selected, right?

Bob
Moo.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Kathryn Skress wrote:
This would seemingly not apply to all situations, as the master was hit while holding charges and they did not disapate.
He must have had a secret skill that improved his concentration enough to hold on to the charge. He could have taught you that and sooo much more if he had lived :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Aaron I can only think of 2 charge skills (empath\ elf boom and magic arrow) that currently do not need a target, what others are there? I would think that most charge up skills should have a target and either way if it is put in the skill description there is a smaller chance of misunderstandings.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Skills requiring a target: Backstab, Touch of Death, Impale, (and even though techincally they do not say it, yet) Nerve Pinch, Stunstrike, True Shot.

Those that do not: Boom, Magic Fear, Magic Sleep, Magic Arrow, Root, Stun, Banish, Disenchant.

So with the three that don't have it listed thes 8 to 6. Now going by the current rules (unless I somehow missed something) it'd be 11 to 3. So yes, there are more that don't require a target.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Impale should not require a target it considering you cannot move once charged :)

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them