Ark's thread of tough love and abuse: poor Valkyn'Vi

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Ark's thread of tough love and abuse: poor Valkyn'Vi

Post by Ark »

this discipline is in a rather sad state and had its uniqueness and flavor removed from it and replaced with skills that neither synergize well together nor form a coherent RP story to go along with the mechanics of the race / discipline.

but alas I feel I should not take the first crack at a VV discipline because we have such awesome VV players in game that could probably come up with something that fits better. if I hear nothing within the next while I will take a swing at it ^_^

-Ark
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Ark's thread of tough love and abuse: poor Valkyn'Vi

Post by Haku »

Honestly, I don't have an issue with with the first 3 skills, including the swap out. Definitely not happy with Dodge replacing Divination, as I fail to see what problems or issues it was causing in the first place. If it's not broke, don't fix it...

If there's absolutely, positively, 110% no way in the world Divination is coming back, give'em Blink Step.

Blink Step - 1 life point, the user is out of Game and can move up to 10 steps within line of sight, with the exception of moving into or out of a building. 5 minute reload (wording needs work, but I think you get the gist)
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Good idea, and if your PC is the avatar of Chaos...the GMS decide what directions the 10 steps progress... : p
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Knowing my luck, they'd just make me walk in circles...
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Vivac »

I agree with this. Divination was a great skill that shouldn't have been removed in my opinion. I just don't see how it was broken or anything since you have to be alone and it resets the scene, meaning you can't keep anything you picked up or found during your divination.

If it truly is gone forever then I would also like to see Blink Step put in. It seems like a good master discipline ability to me! At least consider trying a playtest? We already have a spell/scroll that allows you to use the blink ability so its not a brand new concept.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

would it be a game stop effect?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

No, so you wouldn't be able to use during a game stop effect. The user would have to put their hand over their head, just like any other time they're out of game
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Also, make it so they had to verbally say Blink Step before using the skill. Hopefully this would stop people from immediately putting a hand on their head just as they're about to eat a massive call
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

there was some toying with a mist form like vampire thing a while back and we were working with how to make it fun for the user, readable for everyone involved (you know what they are doing) and have counter play.

what we had come up with was

a 5 count that your turning into mist / bats / whatever (we were messing with balance of this being interruptible or not, was not tested enough.) as well as a 5 count coming out, this was like "1 I disappear" 2 I disappear". . ."1 I reappear" etc. you could move normally while doing this.

you held both arms crossed over your head to differentiate between "not here" and "you see mist, a cloud of bats, etc." (two arms crossed over the head became our standard readability sign of "you can see something moving and know what is going on" across any non gamestop blink or shadow skills. we were still messing with duration, 10 seconds being the norm of short term effect skills, and if you could walk or run or not.)

you were immune to most attacks / effects except for anything with "magic". (we were still messing with interaction with press and various other skills, was not tested enough.)

but that is a general concept of something like that idea. it does not require a gamestop. conveys a scene or effect with simple visual and audio queues of what is going on, where, and when. had benefits and counters, and was pretty fun to both use and counter.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

How about you have the Valkyn'Vi spend one perm Life Point, then be allowed to ask 3 questions for the upcoming scene ("How many creatures are in there?" "What are the creatures in there" "Where's the trap?", etc.)
That way the Valkyn'Vi still gets their "vision" and detail no one else would know, but it's neither extremely detailed, nor does it require other players to wait around outside while the V-player handles his personal scene.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

i like arts idea.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Seconded
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Vivac »

On one hand I like the 3 questions idea, but on the other I dont think it would be a very good 4th level ability. The reason I say that is because usually the game staff doesn't plan a scene by saying 'ok there are gonna be 10 orcs and a trap by that tree' they will give stats to the creatures and then give a certain amount of re pops or a certain amount of waves depending on how the PCs are dealing with the combat.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

while the pre planning comment may be mostly true, and PC using this is likely headed into an area that has already been staged by a GM. I cant think of a situations where, if the GM has staged the next "encounter" the questions cant be answered. any examples I may not be thinking of?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

if I had it i would use it is for more relivent plot info anyway,

"is the maguffin we have been seeking in this cave." etc. ie things in mikes giant mind boggling long encyclopedia agjendica.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."