Actions after -9 life

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Actions after -9 life

Post by Zydana »

For some reason, this section somehow chokes people up. They've probably read it, but important information either gets lost or forgotten here. I'm specifically referring to this -
This can be done through the use of any skills or items unless their Life Point total drops below -9; normal healing skills, potions, and items cannot be used, and you may only use skills or items that specifically state they may be used below -9.
To be honest, that's important information that's tucked away in the middle of a block of text. Many healers (including myself) didn't realize that they couldn't use first aid on someone below -9 (us healers do discuss healer things sometimes!). As we were cleaning up at the last Final Haven, someone told me that they had to use [a good amount] of cure potions to bring someone out of the negatives. With the amount used, this person would have been below -9. An honest mistake!

I brought it up doing the last WH meeting using the analogy of an intersection with no stop signs. The people claim there have been many accidents at that intersection and have pleaded for the installation of a stop sign, only to be told that they should know better and to stop at that intersection.
Apparently they don't.

This information in the rule book needs to be better distributed throughout the rule book and attached to skills and items that need that stop sign. Transfusion already has the disclaimer "(but no greater than -9 life, lower than -9 life requires certain skills to heal)" - so why not add that to first aid too?

As for cure potions, this one is really easy! The description of cure potions are just "Cures 2 LP of damage. This may not raise your LP above their maximum." Add the wording, "Cannot be used on anyone below -9 life." Put that information right on the tag so people have that information right with them!
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Actions after -9 life

Post by Malachi »

I like this suggestion a lot. I know there are only a few ways to heal below -9, but having never played a healer the only one I'm sure of is Surgery.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I did that's why I thought it was stupid -_- and dealing with negs needed an overhaul.

we have yet to encounter a boss or monster that can only be killed by using channel when he is above 50 life, critical strike between 20-49 life, and finally normal damage from 0-19 life.

and that fact that a surgeon, the mast healer and best neg skill in the entire game cannot deal with 0 through neg 9 is silly. I never saw that episode of M*A*S*H

there is a single coverall skill but it requires some work and I wont mention it for fear of it getting nerfed because it actually works well . . .
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

What? It says in the surgery skill that it can only be used in critical life (defined as below zero). It may also be used below -9. Between 0 and -10, the surgeon can bring someone up to 0 life with a 60 second charge. Beyond that they can go to the chip bag if necessary or use first aid if they are able to get them to -3 or better.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

O_o

I went back and re read through surgery, and you are indeed correct!

however: The Surgery skill only works on a target that is critically injured (below zero life points). Surgery can be
used to heal negative life that is at negative 10 or lower.

myself and SEVERAL others have taken the latter sentence to be the range that surgery works at (-10 or lower) instead of "in addition to", as it is worded right now it feels like IF you use it to heal anywhere from -1 to -9 you are finding a tiny loophole in the wording of the skill (has happened in the past on several occasions) so if you could PLEASE!!! clarify that bit of wording I would be ever so grateful.

I am super happy to find out I was wrong though (*throws transference into an oubliette*) and now understand why I was having such trouble trying to get you to give healers some love. . .they still need some love though ^_^

whew
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

It is statedtl that due to the fact that it is one of the few skills that can be used to heal someone that is below -9.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

well I guess I don't really care how clear it is now that I know how it works, but I told a couple people that play healers this (of them all of them were playing it wrong :P) and they literally looked at me like this:

-_- "bruh, are you serious? like really?"

but I understand, its not like the entire rule book is being edited and changed or anything, because if it was simply adding "in addition" would seem like an incredibly tiny thing in comparison no?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

LOL!!! I've never read it like that, but I see your point. If we want to change the wording, I suggest - Surgery can also be used to heal negative life that is at negative 10 or lower.

So.. now that that's been thoroughly discussed, can we get back to my initial post on this thread? ... please?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I totally get why there is the confusion and will clarify. When you take the paragraph as a whole it seems less confusing to me. I don't have it in front of me but doesn't it talk about only being able to take someone up to zero with this skill. Well, if it couldn't work from 0 to -9, then how could you ever get someone past zero anyway.

At any rate, yes, of course, we will add a couple extra words to make it clearer and yes, we can add the verbage to skills that can be used at below -9 (or can't be for that matter)
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

And don't forget cure potions!!

(Thanks Mike :))
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Can the Druid ability Mystic Healing be used to heal someone that is below -9 Life Points?
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

It's in the section of the rulebook that no one reads.

Death and Dying
Another character must save them by bringing their Life Point total to at least 0 (zero) to stop their Bleed Count. This can be done through the use of any skills or items unless their Life Point total drops below -9; normal healing skills, potions, and items cannot be used, and you may only use skills or items that specifically state they may be used below -9.
People also forget you can't use potions on someone below neg 9.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Zydana wrote:It's in the section of the rulebook that no one reads.

Death and Dying
Another character must save them by bringing their Life Point total to at least 0 (zero) to stop their Bleed Count. This can be done through the use of any skills or items unless their Life Point total drops below -9; normal healing skills, potions, and items cannot be used, and you may only use skills or items that specifically state they may be used below -9.
People also forget you can't use potions on someone below neg 9.
pretty much all of this.

and cannot put into words how much I agree with the first part, nobody ready a lot of that stuff. unless you have a specific reason to most stop reading once they get through the disciplines :P