Essence Mage Path

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Essence Mage Path

Post by Kiel Reid »

Why an Essence Mage path?

Honestly I overheard someone say the reason the essence mages were able to do what they do is because they have the essence mage path and not just the discipline. I know that was more of an analogy than anything but it got me thinking. Why not an essence mage path? So I started thinking and here’s what came out.

You know that we probably won’t be able to do this?

Yeah. It was still fun to whip it up. Look at it anyway.

:Insert skill here: is unbalanced.

No it’s not. Your mom is unbalanced.

Just kidding. Let’s talk about what needs to change. I’m open to feedback.

GOAL

To try and capture the essence mage abilities in a way that is semi balance and does not overlap too much with other paths and disciplines. The essence mage path relies heavily on essence points. These mechanics fall into line with what we have seen other NPC essence mages do. It also explains why they do one or two big things and then need to rest. This tries to embody that in a way that PC’s can manage.

Some of these mechanics are different than what we currently use. As an example we have never had a formal mechanic for speaking to dead people other than Consume Brain. The essence connection mechanic is also different but I don’t think it is too weird.

Anyway…I think it’s pretty cool but I made it’s so I’m biased.

Basic Skills

Vigor

This skill grants you one additional life point.

Affinity

When you regain hit points from a non-potion source you are healed one additional life point. It takes half the time to use Remove Poison and Remove Disease on you.

Essence Forge

You can help another character shape themselves into the person they wish to be. This grants you the ability to let a character unlearn a discipline, path, lifestyle or boon even if the target used it during the event.

Essence Pool

You have a pool of essence that you can draw from to fuel your abilities. You start with as many essence points as you have life points at the beginning of the event. This pool can be added by breaking down mystic. The cost is one mystic per point. This requires 5 minutes per mystic you use to add to your essence pool. Any unused essence points at the end of an event are lost.

You may also use permanent life points to add points to your essence pool. One life point provides one essence point. It can be done instantly. These lost life points are regained in between events.

Advance Skills

Banish

With a 15 second charge you can swing or throw “Banish”.

Essence Gift

You have the ability to provide people with a little essence magic they can use later. It takes 10 minutes to provide an essence gift. Once done you spend one essence point and provide your target with one of the following gifts. These gifts are considered arcane talismans.

Healing – You may heal a target for 3 life points one time.
Protection – You may utilize the Parry/Avoid Blow skill one time.
Power – You may add +2 to the damage of any attack one time.
Radiance – You may swing or shoot “Banish” instantly one time

Voice from Beyond

You can speak with the dead. This skill can only be used on willing targets that have an intact essence. They also must be less than 48 hours dead. You spend one essence point to form a connection with the dead target. If they are willing you may then speak with them for one minute. For every additional essence point you spend you may speak with them for one additional minute. They do not have to speak truthfully.

Create/Destroy Essence Connection

This skill allows you to create bonds between two targets. This takes 15 minutes to do. After doing so you spend 1 essence point. The two targets are then essence bound. This allows them to know when the other one is dead and also allows them to track each other as though they were using the Scout skill. You may also view each other’s character sheets at this time. This counts as an arcane talisman and is expired at the end of the event.

This can also be made permanent by instead spending 5 essence points. When this is done the effect is no longer considered an arcane talisman and can only be removed via Destroy Essence Connection.

This skill can also be used to destroy a permanent essence connection. This takes 15 minutes to do and you only need one of the targets present. After doing so you must spend 5 essence points. This then destroys the essence connection. If both parties are not present and then the target that has their connection severed loses one permanent life point until the other party is killed, has their connection severed or the connection is reestablished via Create Essence Connection.

When an essence mage creates a connection with a target they may deem it one way. Meaning that they are able to find and sense the target but the target is unable to do the same. Essence connections are not considered arcane talismans for people with this skill.

Master Skills

Pulse of Light

This skill allows you to spend 2 essence points to call game stop and outline a triangulated area. After doing so you may indicate that all within are effected by the “Banish” call. This has a 15 minute cooldown. You may also spend 4 essence points and cause the call to effect all within the sound of your voice instead of the triangulated area. When using this version the cooldown time is 30 minutes.

Share Essence

This skill allows you to use the skill of another living target. It takes 10 minutes to learn the skill of the target. Once the 10 minutes is up you then spend the appropriate number of essence points. The cost is 1 point per level of the discipline. You may also learn path skills by spending 1 point for basic, 2 points for advanced and 3 points for master skills. You can only have one of these skills at a time. This skill can be used until replaced with a different skill or until the end of the event.

From the Beyond

This skill can be used to bring back a target that has no body. It is used in conjunction with Mend the Body. This eliminates the penalty for having no head and no heart when resurrecting the target. No potions that reduce chip count can be used in conjunction with this skill. It requires 1 essence point for every four levels of the target to bring them back. When done the target has their level cut in half rounded up to the next denomination of 4. If the essence mage had a permanent essence connection with this target they do not suffer this penalty.

Manipulate Connection

This skill can be used to manipulate the connection an essence mage has with their target. You can spend one essence point to use any of the following effects on a target you have an essence connection with. This can be delivered verbally by indicating the targets name and stating the effect in a non-combat situation. In combat situation the target must be touched.

Strengthen – The target adds +1 to all damage calls for the remainder of the scene. This cannot be stacked with the hero point ability that adds to damage.
Bolster – The target is granted 4 temporary life points.
Sleep – The target is affected by “Sleep”.
Charm – The target is affected by “Charm” which you can then follow with a command. This command will be followed until completed or 15 minutes, whichever occurs first.
Protect – The target is granted 6 temporary combat reflexes.
Implosion – The target takes 10 Magic Vorpal. This severs the essence connection as though both parties were present.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Essence Mage Path

Post by Ark »

I like affinity as a skill concept
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

I'm waiting for my Brian full dissection.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I like allot of them but I'd like to see them added to wizard as spells. (that is A TOTALLY BIASED opinion from a wizard.)
Travis Cole
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Kiel Reid wrote:Honestly I overheard someone say the reason the essence mages were able to do what they do is because they have the essence mage path and not just the discipline. I know that was more of an analogy than anything but it got me thinking. Why not an essence mage path? So I started thinking and here’s what came out.
Actually the real reason we gave why it's a discipline and not a path is because it would take decades of devotion to learning essence magic to make it a path/.
Kiel Reid wrote:To try and capture the essence mage abilities in a way that is semi balance and does not overlap too much with other paths and disciplines. The essence mage path relies heavily on essence points. These mechanics fall into line with what we have seen other NPC essence mages do. It also explains why they do one or two big things and then need to rest. This tries to embody that in a way that PC’s can manage.
I think Life Points already do a fine job of representing healthy and weakened. I don't see a need to add another resource that needs to be tracked but I'll get into that more on a per skill bases.
Kiel Reid wrote:Basic Skills

Vigor

I like it, my only concern is that it gives an easy 20 character point access to other paths, assuming that you could buy these skills a la carte.
Kiel Reid wrote:Affinity

When you regain hit points from a non-potion source you are healed one additional life point. It takes half the time to use Remove Poison and Remove Disease on you.
I like this skill but it seems a little powerful for a basic. I think it would fit better as an advanced ability.
Kiel Reid wrote:Essence Forge

You can help another character shape themselves into the person they wish to be. This grants you the ability to let a character unlearn a discipline, path, lifestyle or boon even if the target used it during the event.

I like the concept but this may be both too powerful and too weak at the same time. If you think about it, this is the equivalent of buying a level of wealth for someone else. It's only useful though if someone uses it. Also with a wealth level you have to plan ahead if you want to unlearn something so this is actually better than that. In conclusion, I'm on the fence about this one. :P
Kiel Reid wrote:Essence Pool

You have a pool of essence that you can draw from to fuel your abilities. You start with as many essence points as you have life points at the beginning of the event. This pool can be added by breaking down mystic. The cost is one mystic per point. This requires 5 minutes per mystic you use to add to your essence pool. Any unused essence points at the end of an event are lost.

You may also use permanent life points to add points to your essence pool. One life point provides one essence point. It can be done instantly. These lost life points are regained in between events.
As I stated at the start, I think Life Points are a fine representation of a persons essence. That being said I think this skill has some merit. Here's my idea.

Restore Essence
You may lower your maximum life points by one until the end of the event to heal one. You may also take a 30 second count and consume one mystic to restore a maximum life point used in this way or to heal one. Any maximum life points used by this skill that are not restored will return after the end of the event.

This doesn't allow for you to make a large pool but I think it works. Plus it get's better when you get Affinity which I think should be advanced. If we move Affinity down though we need something to replace it. So here's an ability that we've been talking about for basic wizard but I think works just as well here. Also with the removal of the pool I think most of the Essence Mage skills should be reloads. This makes sense since reloads cost 1 LP to use and so you can use some of these skills together.

Essence Blast
Spend 1 LP to throw a '5 magic.' This skill has a 10 second reload before it can be used again.

As for order,
Vigor
Essence Blast
Restore Essence
Essence Forge As it is now.
Kiel Reid wrote:Advance Skills

Banish

I'm not a big fan of this one being here, I'd probably drop this for Affinity.
Kiel Reid wrote:Essence Gift

You have the ability to provide people with a little essence magic they can use later. It takes 10 minutes to provide an essence gift. Once done you spend one essence point and provide your target with one of the following gifts. These gifts are considered arcane talismans.

I like this skill and think we can probably expand the list a little. I'd change it to a 5 minutes reload, 10 minutes seems a bit long for a one time that takes your buff slot. In addition the person receiving the boon must give permission to the Essence Mage to access their essence.(This will make more sense later)
Kiel Reid wrote:Voice from Beyond

You can speak with the dead. This skill can only be used on willing targets that have an intact essence. They also must be less than 48 hours dead. You spend one essence point to form a connection with the dead target. If they are willing you may then speak with them for one minute. For every additional essence point you spend you may speak with them for one additional minute. They do not have to speak truthfully.
Another solid skill. The fact that they have to be willing and can lie makes this skill balanced, as a note the dead would have to agree to allow the Essence Mage access to they're essence as part of the skill.(this makes more sense later) I like the 1 LP per minute.
Kiel Reid wrote:Create/Destroy Essence Connection

This skill allows you to create bonds between two targets. This takes 15 minutes to do. After doing so you spend 1 essence point. The two targets are then essence bound. This allows them to know when the other one is dead and also allows them to track each other as though they were using the Scout skill. You may also view each other’s character sheets at this time. This counts as an arcane talisman and is expired at the end of the event.

This can also be made permanent by instead spending 5 essence points. When this is done the effect is no longer considered an arcane talisman and can only be removed via Destroy Essence Connection.

This skill can also be used to destroy a permanent essence connection. This takes 15 minutes to do and you only need one of the targets present. After doing so you must spend 5 essence points. This then destroys the essence connection. If both parties are not present and then the target that has their connection severed loses one permanent life point until the other party is killed, has their connection severed or the connection is reestablished via Create Essence Connection.

When an essence mage creates a connection with a target they may deem it one way. Meaning that they are able to find and sense the target but the target is unable to do the same. Essence connections are not considered arcane talismans for people with this skill.
Okay, this one is tricky. I like some of the stuff you have here but some seems too complicated. First off, I would say the Essence Mage can only make a connection between themselves and someone who allows them access to their essence. I'd change this to a 15 minute reload and it lowers the Essence Mage's max LP while they maintain the link. I don't see the need to make a temporary/permanent version.

Create Essence Link/Destroy Essence Link
The Essence Mage can spend 1 LP to create a Link between themselves and a target that has allowed them access to their essence. While this Link remains the Essence Mage's maximum LP are reduced by 1. The Essence Mage can declare the Link to be one way or open, and can change the status at any time by spending a LP. If the Link is one way, the Essence Mage will always know how to find the target and will know if they die. In addition the Essence Mage knows what skills the target possesses. If the Link is open the target will also know how to find the Essence Mage. If they Essence Mage dies, all Links they have are broken and the targets of any of these Links will know the Essence Mage is dead. The Essence Mage can release a Link they have at any time.
The Essence Mage can also use this skill to sever a Link from a willing target. Using this skill in the way still requires permission to access the target's essence. by spending 1 LP the Essence Mage destroys the Link and the target's maximum LP are reduced by 1 until the end of the event.(I know why you had it the way you did but I think this is better for a player based Essence Mage.)
Using this skill in either way triggers a 15 minute reload.

So, the order I'd have these in.
Affinity
Voice from Beyond
Essence Gift
Create Essence Link/Destroy Essence Link
Kiel Reid wrote:Master Skills

Pulse of Light

This skill allows you to spend 2 essence points to call game stop and outline a triangulated area. After doing so you may indicate that all within are effected by the “Banish” call. This has a 15 minute cooldown. You may also spend 4 essence points and cause the call to effect all within the sound of your voice instead of the triangulated area. When using this version the cooldown time is 30 minutes.
A neat idea but I don't really see it as a core Essence Mage thing. Maybe as a swap skill. I would replace it with...

Fortitude
The Essence Mage gains +2 Maximum Life Points.
Kiel Reid wrote:Share Essence

This skill allows you to use the skill of another living target. It takes 10 minutes to learn the skill of the target. Once the 10 minutes is up you then spend the appropriate number of essence points. The cost is 1 point per level of the discipline. You may also learn path skills by spending 1 point for basic, 2 points for advanced and 3 points for master skills. You can only have one of these skills at a time. This skill can be used until replaced with a different skill or until the end of the event.
Okay, I like this. Sort of like a mimic that isn't only basics but can only be off a list from people you have linked. Going along with the idea that the Essence Mage can give or take power through a Link though I would say they can choose to give an ability of their's to a Linked target instead. It may be too powerful to allow paths though. I would probably stick to disciplines. Make it a 10 minute reload to switch and if you're giving an ability they would have to be informed that you're removing it before you can use this skill again.

Share Essence
The skill allows the Essence Mage to spend 1 LP to mimic any discipline skill possessed by any target they have Linked.
The Essence Mage may instead spend 1 LP to bestow one discipline skill they possess to any one target they have a Link with. If Share Essence is used in this way it may not be used again until the player who was bestowed a skill is informed that it is being removed.
The Essence Mage can have one skill mimicked or bestowed at a time, not both. This skill has a 10 minute reload.
Kiel Reid wrote:From the Beyond

This skill can be used to bring back a target that has no body. It is used in conjunction with Mend the Body. This eliminates the penalty for having no head and no heart when resurrecting the target. No potions that reduce chip count can be used in conjunction with this skill. It requires 1 essence point for every four levels of the target to bring them back. When done the target has their level cut in half rounded up to the next denomination of 4. If the essence mage had a permanent essence connection with this target they do not suffer this penalty.
Ok, this is cool, and it would be nice to have another option to bring people back but I think the cost needs to be really high. First off it shouldn't require a a healer or empath for this option since the Essence Mage is making a new vessel from scratch or at least the most important parts. The minimal requirement for this would be an item that was close to the person that is being brought back, in the case of no body. If you have the body, or part of it, that will be fine.

From the Beyond
The Essence Mage can use great force of will to restore a dead ally when they seem beyond recovery. The player being resurrected must allow the Essence Mage access to their essence for this skill to work. This skill requires the resurrected player to make a chip draw from a normal healers bag, 9 white chips and one red. Normal methods of reducing chip draws do not work with From the Beyond. To recreate a whole body the player being resurrected must draw 12 chips. If the body is present, regardless of condition, but the brain and heart are destroyed or missing the player being resurrected must draw 10 chips. If either only one of the organs, brain or heart, are destroyed or missing the player being resurrected must draw 6 chips. If the body is mostly intact the the player being resurrected must draw 2 chips. The Essence Mage can spend LP to reduce the chip draw at a rate of 4 LP per chip. If the Essence Mage has a link with the target this is reduced to 2 LP per chip. People Linked to the Essence Mage can also spend 4 LP to lower the chip draw by one as long as the Essence Mage allows it. The chip draw can never be lowered below 1. This process takes 15 uninterrupted minutes and all those spending LP for the resurrection must be present the entire time. LP are not spent until the end of the 15 minutes.
Kiel Reid wrote:Manipulate Connection

This skill can be used to manipulate the connection an essence mage has with their target. You can spend one essence point to use any of the following effects on a target you have an essence connection with. This can be delivered verbally by indicating the targets name and stating the effect in a non-combat situation. In combat situation the target must be touched.

Strengthen – The target adds +1 to all damage calls for the remainder of the scene. This cannot be stacked with the hero point ability that adds to damage.
Bolster – The target is granted 4 temporary life points.
Charm – The target is affected by “Charm” which you can then follow with a command. This command will be followed until completed or 15 minutes, whichever occurs first.
Protect – The target is granted 6 temporary combat reflexes.
Implosion – The target takes 10 Magic Vorpal. This severs the essence connection as though both parties were present.
Another skill I like the concept of, but needs some work. First of all it needs a reload or similar component. I'd say a 2 minute reload or a 1 minute reload with the addition that you can't use this skill on the same target more than once a scene.
Strengthen I don't like the way it is. I don't like that it doesn't stack with hero points, I think hero points should always stack. I also don't think we need anymore + damage abilities. If I were going to make a + damage ability here though I would probably go with Enrage. It would work just like rage, and wouldn't stack with rage of course. The difference would be that the Essence Mage would be the one spending a LP to activate it.
Bolster/Protect, need some sort of limitation. How long do they last? Or is it that they can't be healed/recovered? If it is the later then I guess these are fine.
Charm needs to work like implant suggestion and it could be okay but should also break the Link.
Sleep would need to break the Link.
Implosion - Looks good.
The reason I say Charm/Sleep need to break the link is because like Implosion they could be "kill calls."

I have some other ideas too for some swap skills and Specialties but at this point I've been typing this for a long time and I need a break. I'll continue that at another time.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Couple quick things...Mainly because I hate going through individually saying things.

Reloads make everything more powerful because they allow you to do anything instantaneously. No need to change anything here to a reload.
Banish is a shout out to the old essence mage from lore. At least I'm pretty sure it is (Someone old school can feel free to correct me)
Essence Blast is a bastardized version of Lesser Channel with a reload and a LP cost, making it more powerful.
I will agree with you that dealing with an essence pool is difficult but the pool is never used in rapid succession. This makes it easier to track.
Essence Links are clunky. Agreed.
I'm cool with limiting share essence to discipline abilities.
I can get behind the making sleep and charm blow the connection.
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Kiel Reid wrote:Reloads make everything more powerful because they allow you to do anything instantaneously. No need to change anything here to a reload.
Reloads are powerful because they are instant use but in the case of most of the Essence Mage abilities that wouldn't be that bad. There are a couple I can see being an issue, mostly Share Essence.
Actually Essence Blast is a bastardized version of a wizard focus item. Lesser channel is way better for a few reasons. First, it doesn't take a LP to use. Second, it's a channel so it can be increased by things that increase channels, Boon/Channel Crystal. Third, as a charge skill it can have it's time reduced by things that reduce charge times, Focus Crystal, Sage Buff, Skill Master Potion. Sure, the reload is good for quick damage in a pinch but in a drawn out battle the charge skill is going to win out.
Kiel Reid wrote:Banish is a shout out to the old essence mage from lore. At least I'm pretty sure it is (Someone old school can feel free to correct me)
I don't know anything about that. I based my stuff off the Essence Mages we've had in Winter Haven. Much of your stuff seems to draw from that as well. I can see Banish as a swap skill but I don't see it as normal core ability.
Kiel Reid wrote:Essence Blast is a bastardized version of Lesser Channel with a reload and a LP cost, making it more powerful.
Actually Essence Blast is a bastardized version of a wizard focus item, with one less damage. The reason it has a reload and a LP cost is that all reloads, with the exception of one that needs to be looked at, have a LP cost. Lesser channel is way better in most cases, for a few reasons. First, it doesn't take a LP to use. Second, it's a channel so it can be increased by things that increase channels, Boon/Channel Crystal. Third, as a charge skill it can have it's time reduced by things that reduce charge times, Focus Crystal, Sage Buff, Skill Master Potion. Sure, the reload is good for quick damage in a pinch but in a drawn out battle the charge skill is going to be way more useful.
Kiel Reid wrote:I will agree with you that dealing with an essence pool is difficult but the pool is never used in rapid succession. This makes it easier to track.
That one thing may be easier to track, but is in addition to the things you already track making it harder to track things over all.
Kiel Reid wrote:Essence Links are clunky. Agreed.
Agreed.
Kiel Reid wrote:I'm cool with limiting share essence to discipline abilities.
Yeah, mixing some of the master path skills may be a little broken.
Kiel Reid wrote:I can get behind the making sleep and charm blow the connection.
Agreed.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Kiel Reid
I'm waiting for my Brian full dissection.
*fills the fuel tank on the wood chipper and puts on the work glasses and gloves*
:lol:
To try and capture the essence mage abilities in a way that is semi balance and does not overlap too much with other paths and disciplines. The essence mage path relies heavily on essence points. These mechanics fall into line with what we have seen other NPC essence mages do. It also explains why they do one or two big things and then need to rest. This tries to embody that in a way that PC’s can manage.
I like the overall concept, and even think FH could use the fresh blood from a RP and plot stand point.

Basic Skills
Vigor

Affinity
Phinkis
I like this skill but it seems a little powerful for a basic. I think it would fit better as an advanced ability.
Well they can already do that VIA knight if they are privileged or use a perk. Also, one more LP isn’t all that critical I think, would be different if this was a 2 LP skill. Lastly, the skill could be modified, like I plan to suggest later so that these can simply be mage spells, so that it requires the PC to have bought one other essence mage skill first
Essence Forge
While full of thematic value, I cant imagine many situations where a player is dropping skills that get used. This skill cant hurt to have in game, but I do not see it getting used but rarely if ever.
Essence Pool
Phinkis
I think Life Points already do a fine job of representing healthy and weakened. I don't see a need to add another resource that needs to be tracked but I'll get into that more on a per skill bases.
While I agree with this first part, I categorically disagree with the latter part to a point.

Using LP would be fine, and I can see an essence mage discipline that mostly just adds LP showing the mage focusing on adding to his powers and endurance. I will add suggestions for that later.

As for extra pools, I come from a game that had 10 different pools that could be invested in, my PC had6 of them with average max totals over 50 in each and 8 to 10 skills that fed of each pool for different costs AND skills that fed off multiple pools at the same time for some of the skills. Never had a tracking issue. Not because I have some special big brain power, but because the PC grew from a few skill points to many so I learned as the PC grew AND we played once a month. There was less time to get out of the habit, between events, of how to use the skills.

Its a matter of what the player gets used to. I think NPCing such or similar at FH would be a challenge since it would be like plopping the NPC into a semi and asking them to race that truck one time a year, but its likely going be played by Mike, and he barely remembers where he lives, let alone any rules, so we are already used to that.

Here is my suggestion, remove the pool but not the ability to add temp LP only usable to fuel essence spells:

Essence Pool
You may create an essence pool made up of essence points that are temp LP useable only for essence spells. that can only be used for essence spells. This pool is separate form your LP but can be used in conjunction to your LP to fuel essence spells. This pool can be added by breaking down mystic. The cost is one mystic per point. This requires 5 minutes per mystic you use to add to your essence pool. Any unused essence points at the end of an event are lost.
You may also use permanent life points to add points to your essence pool. One life point provides two essence points. It can be done instantly. These lost life points are regained in between events.
Advance Skills
Banish
I think that works.

Essence Gift

I would add “other than yourself”
I think that works.
Voice from Beyond
For balance, I think this should have to follow Gather Essence, and this skill itself should take another 10 or 15 minutes to power up so that its not abused having a conversation with the dead; as opposed to a limited number of questions, or just yes or no questions; could be a path to circumventing plots.
Create/Destroy Essence Connection
I think the permanent version should take an hour and only last the event and cost 3 EP so that its use is uncommon at best due to the advantages it provides.
Since its considered a talisman, just adding an alchemy or empirical effect would destroy it under most situations.
I don’t know that this is needed. A simple cleanse could be used.
Master Skills
Pulse of Light
I think 1 EP for the triangulated, and 2 or 3 EP for the voice radius version are fine since its banish
Share Essence
I feel path skill should be 2, 3 or 4 to balance with the level of discipline skill cost.
From the Beyond
I have to just say no. I like it, but just no. This eliminates the finality of death under those circumstances, and in a PVP context, the effort of making another PC dead and hiding or eliminating head and heart, takes some real effort. This skill would be to handy. I think such a return from the dead should take even greater effort, like the way Atrum was brought back.
Though should it be used, it would give plot the ability to bring back the super villans too.
IF this skill was used, I would say it needed to have components that made doing it swiftly, not at all possible. Something like that spell they used on Atrum (specially crafted death shroud, specially prepared site, etc...)

Manipulate Connection
I like the overall concept, but any multi skill should, AT BEST, provide effects EQUAL to other skills of that level, if not effects of a lesser power due to its flexibility. Some of these are stronger. My suggestions are below:
Strengthen – Should mimic rage
Bolster – grants +2 LP since that is what Fortitude is as a master level skill
Protect – +3 CBR since that’s the most any other skill gives and is one higher than the master warrior skill
Implosion – 4 to 6 damage rather than 10 since its vorpal and the essence mage shouldn’t have a one shot kill skill.
cole45
I like allot of them but I'd like to see them added to wizard as spells.

Damnit now you have me agreeing with Travis, next I will be agreeing with Ark and all hell will break loose!
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis