Damage Calls

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Damage Calls

Post by GM_Chris »

If you could add just one new damage call to the system what would it be? Why would you add it? Please describe all mechanics .
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i dont think i would add a new call, plenty interesting things can be done with the calls that we have.

that being said i did create versions of things for SH

terror - un resistable fear
displacement - a time stop effect that lasted 15 seconds and could swung or packet driven.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Paralyze - When affected by this call you are unable to move in anyway. You are considered to be helpless. This effect lasts for 60 seconds.

I would replace Assassin Level 4 with this skill. I would eliminate one of the advanced warrior swap skills and add resist paralyze.

But don't add any calls. Not unless you plan on eliminating some of the ones you have already added.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Er....that's essentially an auto-kill, for anyone other than a warrior who can resist it.......

Nothing needs to be added call-wise. There are already several new(er) effect calls in the game that are quite important but aren't well understood or reacted to correctly by NPCs and PC's alike.

If anything "repel" needs to have something done with it, as it works on a "very" small portion of the monsters we face, depends entirely on the NPC's discretion as to whether their monster is "undead", and has a history of being used so little that I think it doesn't catch most NPC's attention like the main calls.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

im going to asume nothing is going to get added, and that this is all one of Chris's "what if" topics :)

with that in mind. . .

paralyze does seem fairly 1 hit kill, kinda like a sleep.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yep this is just a what if post. Paralysis might work as a call if we utualized challenged calls. Forexample paralysize 3 where 3 is the strength of the call and then players have a resist skills like resist paralysis/sleep and a level..basically a saving throw
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Yeah. Paralyze is a kill call just like sleep. Just like Vorpal KO is. Except it only lasts for 60 seconds instead of 5 minutes. The bad thing is you can't just awaken someone like you can with sleep.

I would put on the same level as the Sleep call as far as power.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i dont think there is all that much that can be added, im sure you could split some things up to act different.

an example:
sleep - for 5 minutes or until disturbed (hit with damage, an action used against them, etc.)
deep sleep - for 5 minutes and can only be woke by awaken as now

like how we have slick and root, and my fear and terror. and the problem i see with the strength to a call is the same one we have with knockout. it is surprising how many people STILL think that it does damage.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Deathstrike" isn't an official call, but it does get used from time to time. If I were to add a call to the rulebook, it would be this - just so everyone is on the same page as to how it works.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Envelop:

When envlope is called you can not attack or defend. You must follow the enveloper until somone frees you. Two people may pull you out, or one person including yourself with press.
Travis Cole
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

cole45 wrote:Envelop:

When envlope is called you can not attack or defend. You must follow the enveloper until somone frees you. Two people may pull you out, or one person including yourself with press.
ohhh, thats a good one. interesting, potentially fatal. . . :D
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Envelop and Deathstrike have been used enough over the last few years to I would say warrant a look at adding them into the book.

Deathstrike is pretty straightforward

Envelop has been used a couple of different ways so I would definelty say an agreed upon ruling would need to be reached before it goes in. I also remember Jared had a call similar to Envelop as well, that could be looked at to help develop Envelop..
hehe
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I liked the idea of the quick ruling I got at the last Winterhaven that "Deathstrike" could be "Heroically Resisted" with a Hero Point, though thankfully I never had to test it out, lol.

It allowed a suitably epic roleplaying way to resist such a powerful call that can literally come out of the blue (Nearly every time I've seen a Deathstrike called, it was done as blase' and without warning as any other attack from an NPC, which is janky for a call so devastating), but it's a resist that any character can have access to, and gave another cool thing for Hero points to do.

I agree with Phil. "Envelop"as a call instantly became hard for me to figure out, as in some instances (but not others) it seemed the only way to stop a creature using that effect on a friend was to kill the creature, which at the same time the effect also transmitted all that damage to the character being "enveloped", which meant that if the creature was stronger than the caracter, you had to beat them into bleed-out to free them.

But at the same time, if I remember right, there was also a bad effect from letting the creature envelop a character for too long.....became a catch-22.

It's a cool NPC call, if it was standardized. I like the way Travis posted. Another skill that promotes teamwork to overcome is good in my opinion.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Here are some calls that have been used at other LARPs effectivly that could be intigrated into FH if there is a need:

Pain................................................. Like sleep but the target isnt unconscious, but becomes prone and writhes in pain, and can scream/moan as the player feels correct for the character. Its as deadly as sleep but MUCH harder to use for PVP/stealth kills

Nightmares.......................................Like sleep but the target isnt unconscious, but becomes prone and twitches and moves as if having the worst nightmare fathomable. Target can make sounds, but they are limited to incomprihensable mumbles and noises no louder than normal speach. An effect as deadly as sleep, but inbetween sleep and pain as far as PVP/stealth kills.

Sever Limb/Crush Limb/Maim.............. renders the limb hit with the attack useless until healed (method used to heal limb varies based on actual game effect rule system used and healing skills present in rule set)

Bind................................................... similar to root, but affects arms and pins then to characters side. character can move feet and body freely, unless somehow further restrained.

Redirect (defensive ability) ................. causes last melee delivered strike to affect the attacker instead of target that uese redirect (sort of advanced parry/avoid in FH terms)

Weapon Pin......................................... weilder of weapon struck by the user of this melee delivered skill, must ensure his weapon remains in contact to effect delivering weapon (as best is reasonable and safe) unless it is resisted(IN FH parry, disarm, and press seem like suitable "resists), relased by weapon pin user, or broken by the user taking damage or being rendered unable to continue skill(slept, killed, paralyzed, etc...)

Silver/exotic materials/elemental damage...I know some of this may go against the FH magical mythos(elemental damage), but I hink it adds nice depth when some creatuures are only harmed by silvered/enflamed/ electrified/frost/etc... weapons. Also allows monster camp to have different PCs shine in battle/on plots based on what they have.

more may follow...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

heal. (gain life.)

restore:(all fixed. reverse death strike.)

Snake./Spider (reverse game stop, everyone books it.)
Travis Cole