A few suggestions..

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Todd
Town Member
Town Member

A few suggestions..

Post by Todd »

Colin and I came back and had a blast. So much so that we actually pulled out the rules and tried to learn how to play. (Our names might be in the Rulebook, but that was a long time ago and our memories are failing. ;) )

My suggestions for retooling the current rules are simple..

A ) Lower the upper end damage. Crit Attacks between 9 and 12 seemed to be the norm. If everyone has it its too good. ;)
B ) Remove Immunities. Ive been working for the last year at CARPs to do the same. Remove Immunities. In my opinion they detract from the game and arent much fun. Its kind of like playing a video game on god mode. Its fun for a short while, but is uninspired. Resists are ok, Immunities are too much.
That leads me to..
C ) Remove Synergys. I know we worked hard on the Synergy thing, but after a while it just becomes a hassle. Things either stack or they dont. LP, AP, Damage all stack obviously. Others would not.
My suggestion is a simple perception shift. Think of the skills you buy not as a tree (Buy 1, Buy 2, Buy 3, Buy 4) but as a 'prereq' (to buy 4 I need 3, to buy 3 I need 2, to buy 2 I need 1).
Example: Im playing a Warrior/Monk. I decide to buy 2 levels into the Pikeman Discipline. Level 1 is Press, Level 2 is Vigor. Then I decide to go 2 levels into Man-at-Arms. Level 1 is Press, Level 2 is Res. Fear.
Under the current rules you would have to Buy all 4 and Press has a Synergy. (Level 1&2 in a second Discipline, and 1&2 in a 3rd Discipline)
My suggestion is you already have Press so you qualify to move forward in the discipline. (Level 1&2 in a second Discipline, and level 2 in the third discipline. [level one was effectively free])

These are maybes,
D ) Maybe (and I stress maybe) look at LPs available. For the build I came up with I had a couple of LP fueled skills, but fewer LPs available than I expected to actually fuel them with)
E ) Lifestyles. We added them so you couldnt be a Knight/Swashbuckler/Barbarian and 'duel wield 2 crush'. The system has progressed to where thats not an option anyway. Perhaps Lifestyles are no longer necessary? (Though I believe they still factor in the political game. It might be worth it to shift it to a purely political mechanic)

We had fun. Its not the little 'swing for ones' game we started with, but the Core rules, and even the Expansion are well done and present a 'complete' system.

~the Lunatic fringe~
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

Looking this over, I don't have an issue with any thing here. We'd have to run the numbers and see what your "perception shift" would mean for character advancement, but it might provide an alternative to the stacking/synergy system that would be worth considering.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Yeah, I havent run all the combinations yet, but so far it means an extra first level of a discipline at best. Not a major bonus.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

A) AGREE!!!!!!
B) i see your point, we dont have resists to the major things (magic, sleep, etc) but offer them for the little things (fear, poison, etc.) i could go either way on this one.
C) i really like the skill synergy, how would things like regen work?
D) i think a life point boost and an armor drop would be cool (drop the helm location and/or take out the quality armor that boosts it a point per location that would drop max armor anywere from 4-8 points)
E) once again either way, they have thier place and matter. but if all it ended up being was a choice between wealth or hit points i would not mind.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

A ) I like being able to hit high, where I would otherwise only swing 1, but I see your point.

B ) Yes. I have a character build that is immune to/resists everything. It can't fight, but it would still be irritating to see.
That leads me to..

C ) I like synergies. I think they make players take time to think about future levels, as well as give benefits to those who make a complex build (Often at the expense of some other part of FH) - regeneration being my primary example.

D ) I agree. LP skills are many, but I only have 5-7 LP on most characters I build. I understand that LP skills are supposed to be powerful in a way. Maybe if every LP skill also had a chargeup time? That would make you have to make a choice between a quick call or a wait time.

E ) I think lifestyles are good for the political system. And for RPing elements.