the use shield skill

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

i looked the rules over, and there are two and only two ways to get use shield three times.

All three require warrior, healer, or sage swap out added to defender or guardian depending on lifestyle and either the orc race or the diverse training perk.

(if your an orc of one of those paths and disciplines you could use diverse training to get it 4 times....at that point it should have to be round, pained with red and blue rings and a big white 5 pointed star and usable as a thrown weapon that returns to the user and can take the full strength of the Hulk...should...say ....the Hulk wander into haven....just sayin)

Should there be a benefit? yes. What, hard to say considering what it would take to get it.
twice is easy... so treat it like a second purchase of press, since that fould fit with the skill sets you buy the second use shield from?

three is real devotion... maybe a resist shatter for 2 or 3 LP

For four you get to scream "Avengers assemble!" and have it work in game....

Also.....it occured to me.....why would anyone use a shild that wasnt a heavy shield since all three catagories add one to armor classification and no skills that I know of restricts the type(light, med, heavy) of shield you can use, and .... the type of shield doesnt affect the size of phys rep you use...that I am aware of.
why not have a heavy buckler if there is no draw back or cost to create difference?
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

In my experience the only limitation that would keep a player from having a heavy shield would be inability to get the resources to make anything more than one of the lower versions. Some of us are dirt-poor.

Only the Swashbuckler skill requires a certain size shield based on square inches, so pretty much everyone I can think of uses a max-size shield, too.

I have actually been scoffed at by players in the past because the only shield I have made was a "baby" that was "only" the size of what a swashbuckler can use, which is a round strap-shield the diameter of my shoulders (which as such still can cover my entire torso from neck to navel).

I think it would be a cool idea if each purchase of Use Shield gave a specific physical size of shield you can use(not type, size), even if it was based on body dimensions so larger blokes wouldn't get screwed.

A "Heavy" buckler as I think is envisioned does little good as you now have a teeny punch shield that can take a lot of damage, as years ago the GM's said that bucklers cannot be used as wrist-shields that cunningly leave the player's left hand free for weapons and actions; they are supposedly envisioned more like the Renaissance-style bucklers that were used in the hand as defense (and glorified brass knuckles in offense).

I think you could still legally use a buckler with a weapon like this, but I could be wrong on that:
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.