wizard = arcanist. . .my thoughts for jack of all trades =

Have an idea for a new skill? How about a proposed change the way something works? Suggest it here!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

wizard = arcanist. . .my thoughts for jack of all trades =

Post by Ark »

a discipline version of jack of all trades

1) level 1 skill
2) level 1 skill
3) level 2 skill
4) level 3 skill
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

clarify ye of little detail...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i have no clue what the name would be so. . .

master of none: privliged, common, savage

0 level 1 can select any level 1 discipline skill (enchant weapon)
20 level 2 can select any level 1 discipline skill (press)
30 level 3 can select any level 2 discipline skill (combat reflexes)
40 level 4 can select any level 3 discipline skill (disarm)

and thats your discipline, that way you can be a "jack of all trades" "master of none" and make your own path and discipline.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

creates an issue with skill stacking atht the designers solved by lifestyle restrictions. I guess if you stated that the skills in this master of non discipline had to be from disciplines of the same lifestyle then it might work.

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

not really a problem, skill stacking problems happen in 3rd and 4rth level skills, seeing as how you get only 1 3rd level skill and no 4th level skills stacking and possible breaks are not a problem.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

not true, no player HAS to take a full path, and I have even worked up a few builds that were basic path and two full disciplines plus other skills. I considered long if DWARF and DEFNEDER fit Kaylan better than DWARF and full WARRIOR.

I do think most of the icky mixes were 4th level skills combined, so not having that in yours may well solve the issue as well.

NPC Christen
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NPC Christen »

Master of None... I love it. ^_~

Like I mentioned in my post in the rogue debate, I love this. I really feel that each path should have at least one single discipline that is made to synergize with them to make that path even that much more if that's your focus.

So long as you clarify that you can't take skills outside of your lifestyle, it should all balance out well. AND, for those who gripe that FH doesn't have enough diversity... they have a simply and available to all solution to that issue that doesn't require a complete overhaul of the system as it stands.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

This is funny because I like the idea at it's core, the ability to customize you character. However this creates imbalances in my mind. It's not that you can't do it already, this just makes it much easier to achieve.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Zeira wrote: However this creates imbalances in my mind.
imbalance implies the ability for something to be more effective based on player skill more so then its peers (roundabout vs stoplight)

i fail to see how giving up a 4th level skill for another first even if you get to choose creates any problems or possible breaks, even if you could choose abilites out of any lifestyle.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

When taken as a full discipline it is fine. When you want to pick up a skill from an outside lifestyle like Regenerate or Allegiance is when it becomes an issue. It's just 20 points for any first level discipline ability. It negates the need for a perk as well.

When balanced against other 1st level discipline abilities this ones is far to powerful and easy to access. You gotta look at things from more than one angle.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

oh i am, and as far as i can tell giving up weapon focus, resist magic, resist sleep, mimic totem, etc. for press, regen, enchant weapon, etc. seems perfectly fine.

if its restricted to lifestyle thats fine so the perk can have its place, that also avoids any political skill problems (not that i care about them at all)

as it stands now even if it was implimented i doubt anyone would take it let alone find a way to abuse it. there are enough disciplines and repitition in skills among them that its no problem to find one with a close enough match of skills you want. unlike paths.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

If it is restricted to skills within your lifestyle then I feel it is balanced. Actually if you just stated that Level one is restricted to your lifestyle the rest is fine and actually quite good.

0 level 1 can select a level 1 discipline skill within your lifestyle
20 level 2 can select any level 1 discipline skill
30 level 3 can select any level 2 discipline skill
40 level 4 can select any level 3 discipline skill

Plenty of versatility with minimal abuse potential. That is actually a good work around on your part.
NPC Christen
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NPC Christen »

And with this solution, anyone who says that FH as a system is too limited and you can't actually do what you want... can't complain anymore. It opens up the system without the need for sweeping and fundamental change.

I love it.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

Before wayne left he wanted to try disconnecting disciplines entirely.

similar to this but with lvl four skills. Some skills would require other skills as a prerequisite to prevent rule breaks. Then disciplines could be just archtypes to give new players ideas.

reminds me of that.

as far as no one taking it, Jack of all trades was well received as well.
Travis Cole
NPC Christen
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NPC Christen »

Chris is working on something very similar, as I believe it was he and Wayne who started talking about it oh so long ago. ^_^