2016 Spell Questions - Aura of Light

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

2016 Spell Questions - Aura of Light

Post by Zydana »

Aura of Light –4 Essence; Instant; Reaction (3)
Using residual energy in the area, you start to glow. This spell may only be cast when hit with a call that contains ‘Magic’ and another effect or a number greater than 0. This effect must originate from someone other than yourself, Heal 3 life. In addition, if you have the Mass Heal Skill you may instantly heal one other person within arm’s reach 3 Life Points.
When exactly does this healing take place? Does it work if the magic that hit you takes you to the negatives?

Scenario- I'm a healer with 5 life. I'm currently at max life. I am hit with 8 magic (no game-stop called), which would take me to -3 life. Even though this is a reaction spell, I assume I can not spend the essence to heal 3 because I'm in critical life.
.. or is this more of a simultaneous thing where I can cast it as I'm being hit?

Alternate scenario - Same character gets hit with 8 magic, but this time it IS due to a game-stop effect/spell. Can this spell be used? Would it work? - since the 8 magic puts me at -3? If it works and I'm at 0, would I be able to use the mass heal bonus (assuming I have mass heal)?

Last scenario - Same healer, but this time I have 8 max life. I'm currently at 5 life though. During a game stop, I'm still hit with that 8 magic. Would I heal 3 first, then take 8 magic, or do I take 8 magic first?
Does the mass heal bonus ability also take place during the game stop?
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: 2016 Spell Questions - Aura of Light

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Scenario- I'm a healer with 5 life. I'm currently at max life. I am hit with 8 magic (no game-stop called), which would take me to -3 life. Even though this is a reaction spell, I assume I can not spend the essence to heal 3 because I'm in critical life.
The spell doesn't specify only magic tagged damage during a game stop...so it reads like a channel or enchanted weapon hit would qualify(among other similar calls)

I would assume this is similar in timing to parry....you get to spend the essence in reaction to the damage in the same way you can spend a LP to react with parry to defend against a melee strike that would put you in the negatives...

Alternate scenario - Same character gets hit with 8 magic, but this time it IS due to a game-stop effect/spell. Can this spell be used? Would it work? - since the 8 magic puts me at -3? If it works and I'm at 0, would I be able to use the mass heal bonus (assuming I have mass heal)?
Again, I read it that the timing allows for simultaneous taking 8 and healing 3; and since its a spell during a game stop it seems you could do the 3 heal to another PC during the game stop as it is a reaction spell.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

It works even if you go into negatives, whether it's during a game stop or not, and the damage happens before the healing occurs.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

pshhaaaw...what does Mike know....now he thinks he is a GM or something?!?!?!
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis