Resist stacking

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

potentiallydead
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Resist stacking

Post by potentiallydead »

Does taking a Resist more than twice give any benefit? I realized that it's entirely possible to have a Level 4 Guthrie with 4 Resist Fear (Essence Boon, Guthrie 1, Tribal Protector 2, Beast Hunter 2 for Savage or Essence Boon, Guthrie 1, Man at Arms 2, Peasant Hero 2 for Common). Mostly asking out of academic curiosity.
Zydana
GM

Re: Resist stacking

Post by Zydana »

Short answer - No.
Longer answer - You're super immune!

Tangent - I think there had been discussions long, long ago about possibly being able to reflect it (I think the specific discussion was magic though) and add it to your next swing/throw. This never happened. I doubt it will ever happen.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

someone poke CJ, as I think he had it 3 times and was able to "reflect" any fear attack directed at him or some such similar effect.....not clear on details
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

There is a description in the skill stating the effect of stacking the skill. Some Resists can be stacked, others can't. For example, in the skill descriptions of Resist Fear, Resist Poison, and Resist Disease, it is stated that if you have the skill twice you become immune. In the skill descriptions of Resist Shatter, Resist Mind Effects, Resist Magic, and Resist Sleep, no such disclaimer appears, so stacking those skills gives no additional effect.

Under the current rules, I don't believe there is any benefit to having a skill more than twice at all.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

as others have stated, once is resist, twice is immune. except in cases like magic and sleep where a straight up immunity would be broken. anything after that is a waste.

I think we did have a ruleset that if you had the resist (and possibly press) 3 times you could freely cast it back if you were struck with it (so reflect) but that is nowhere in the current rules but could exist in item form (lots of stuff does :rolls eyes:)

as a power gamer I recommend going for just 1 resist and ignoring immunity if its out of the way, better to be able to resist more individual calls then be immune to one. on top of that there are a few resists you can ignore slightly, fear is an example of one. it does no harm by itself and only removes you from combat for 10 seconds, also if something is swinging fear you probably do want to run away from it for a few. HOWEVER if you use a shield, GET RESIST FEAR. NPC's see a shield and just smack it with fear every time, or shatter, or press. if you use a shield build assuming they are going to try to destroy it or get you away from them somehow.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

As Brian said, back in the older rulebook if you had resist Fear three times, you could immediately throw fear after being hit with it. The was one of the keystones of my character Crowley, which unfortunately would not be legal with the latest rule change.

I was able to do it a couple of times and it was pretty fun, though most things that throw fear were/are also usually resistant or immune to it.

The real bummer was having Scout twice and getting the most out of it before both tracking PC's was legal and the scout/outscout rule existed; I always had to lobby like hell to get a better scout hint. Now it might have some utility, though.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.