Shattering Magic and Exotic Items

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Shattering Magic and Exotic Items

Post by Zydana »

I'm looking for evidence of whether you can or can not shatter magic items. I recall being told no, but found nothing to confirm.
rulebook pg 116
Shatter
This attack destroys weapons, armor and shields...
Since these things are listed specifically, I assume the absence of "magic items" would not be included. Also, I assume exotic items such as a codex and surgery kit can not be shattered?

Well.. what about a curved or balance blade? These are exotic items, but also described as weapons that you need to use as weapons to get the benefit. Since they fall in the category of both, they can be shattered. That's kinda unfair.

Okay.. well, what about magic weapons? They are on a magic item tag, so they are not weapons?.. or are they? Would it depend on how it's used?

Example - Merlin's staff is a magic item. I decide to use a really cool looking prop for this item and NOT a larp safe padded staff. Because it's a prop and not a weapon, it can't be shattered.
Okay - So instead, I decide to use a padded staff and treat it as my weapon... well, now it's my weapon and I'm using it to hit stuff in battle. Now it can be shattered.

Is this correct?
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Shattering Magic and Exotic Items

Post by GM-August »

There has been much back and forth on what can and cannot be shattered. We will talk tonight about it and give you a clearer answer.

I do know that Shatter will destroy Weapons, Magic Weapons, Exotic Weapons or anything that is tagged a weapon except natural weapons (like fists and claws). It will also destroy all types and sizes of Shields and Medium Armor and Heavy Armor.

We will update this post with an updated description of Shatter soon.
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

It has been decided!

Shatter destroys all Weapons (except natural weapons like fists and claws). This includes Magic Weapons, Exotic Weapons and Special Weapons.
Shatter destroys all Shields. This includes Heavy, Medium, and Light shields. This includes Magic Shields, Exotic Shields and Special Shields.
Shatter destroys all non-real Armor. This includes Heavy, Medium, and Light armor. This includes Magic Armor, Exotic Armor and Special Armor.
Shatter drops all real Armor to zero. This includes Heavy, Medium, and Light armor. This includes Magic Armor, Exotic Armor and Special Armor.

(Real Armor is Armor where the phys-rep matches its mechanical description. Real Armor would be where Full Plate armor is a phys-rep for Heavy Armor. If Shattered, this armor cannot be destroyed, only dropped to zero. Non-real Armor would be where a silver leather coat is a phys-rep for Heavy Armor. If Shattered, this armor is destroyed.)

Items cannot be Shattered. This includes Magic Items, Exotic Items and Special Items.
In very special situations at GM discretion and with GM permission only, an item may be shatterable.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Shatter drops all real Armor to zero. This includes Heavy, Medium, and Light armor. This includes Magic Armor, Exotic Armor and Special Armor.

(Real Armor is Armor where the phys-rep matches its mechanical description. Real Armor would be where Full Plate armor is a phys-rep for Heavy Armor. If Shattered, this armor cannot be destroyed, only dropped to zero.

is this a NEW ruling or would it have been in effect last event?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

It is in affect as of now. It is (unfortunately) not retroactive.
Baxtor Warren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Baxtor Warren »

This came up at winter Haven and I would like clarification... when this ruling came out it was before the rule change. After the rule change this did not make it into the rulebook.

Does shatter on real armor bring it to 0 or because it's not in the new rulebook it is no longer in effect.
Vivac
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Vivac »

If using the ability to charge 90 seconds to call "One Structure Point" on a magic item, could it be shattered if dealt enough structure damage?

Additionally does the Druid's "Magic Shatter" also append magic to the structure damage as well? Making it "One Magic Structure Damage"?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

If an Item has Structure Points - it can be "Shattered"

The druid ability does not allow you to call Structure point damage - only the Empath Shatter skill does. - so that is a moot question.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM-August wrote:

(Real Armor is Armor where the phys-rep matches its mechanical description. Real Armor would be where Full Plate armor is a phys-rep for Heavy Armor. If Shattered, this armor cannot be destroyed, only dropped to zero. Non-real Armor would be where a silver leather coat is a phys-rep for Heavy Armor. If Shattered, this armor is destroyed.)
This ruling was made in Oct. 2015.
I had asked before the 2016 season if this rule was going to follow though this year.
The question came up again at WinterHaven.

The next event is this weekend. Has any sort of decision been made on this?... even if it's a ruling just for this event?
GM-Merrick
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by GM-Merrick »

The official ruling is that a character who is struck by the "Shatter" call while wearing "Real Armor" will have their Armor Points reduced to 0 instead of destroying the armor. "Real Armor" can still be destroyed by Structure Point damage as per the item rules on Structure Point damage. "Real Armor" is any armor phys rep that is considered to be an accurate, realistic replica of the armor type it is meant to portray, this classification must be determined each event by the Weapons and Armor Marshal of the given chapter.

Final Haven Weapons and Armor Marshal: Merrick Schlukebir
Winter Haven Weapons and Armor Marshal: Amanda Rzucidlo
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

It is a prerequisite that the Weapons and Armor Marshals have practically impossible-to-pronounce last names.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Mister Mxyzptlk would like to apply for the position...
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis