Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

the metaphysical world of Finalhaven

Post by Ark »

does it have a name?

the writing behind this is very well done, its both solid yet flexible enough to give lots of RP room and i do have several theories about it myself both in game and out of game.

I have hear it refered to as a few things but am curious if there is a general term, referring to it as the "metaphysical world" gets slightly old at times.

anyone have terms they use for it?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Yeah. The Dreaming.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Actually, as far as I can tell it has nothing to do with the Dreaming- that is a spiritual plane that is separate from Phanterra, similar the Fire Plane, etc. (And it's one that's getting far overdone, in my opinion. I personally would like to do through at least one event without hearing about the Dreaming.)

"Metaphysics" is just a philosophical theory and explanation as to why things happen the way they do upon the world of Phanterra. It is how a person's body unconsciously deals with and justifies any outside interference.

For example, on Phanterra, an Empath's magical blast does not actually burn or damage the target- it uses gathered magic forced into the target to attack their core "pool" of magical essence by overloading it with too much magic for it to process, which is manifested by the target and represented to mundane onlookers in the material world as physical damage. Creatures who lie more in the spiritual world would more likely just see the damage to the essence.

That is why and how creatures in this world die of old age. They are born with a maximum amount of magical essence, which slowly bleeds off throughout their lifespans. Elves only live longer than humans because they begin with more essence than a human.

Damage done by weapons and magic drains this essence in bursts of an artificially fast rate- way faster than normal good living, but in return a body can use a Healer's efforts as a means to convince itself to return to it's previously undamaged state.

In essence, it is an explanation of how a person's Mind deals with the One Magic as it exists after the Catalcysm/Joining.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

For the record, we have written one plot that has involved the dreaming since the event that took place there three years ago. If it is being overdone, it is PC initiated.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I agree with nearly everything you have said marcus, the only thing is i see the empaths as how the skill is used, you gather it up into a ball and hurl it at the target, if you were to build it up in the target it would be more like a point cast.

but our view on the actual metaphysics are the same. the name is what im working on, i have heard it refered to as the Ether.

but i do belive that the dreaming is a plane, and not the name for the actual metaphysical world.

if it does not have a name anyone have any good ideas? and if it has a name what would the real world be reffered to as?
Last edited by Ark on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Yeah it is PC driven as far as all the Dreaming stuff as far as I have been able to tell.

Trying to define and name the "meta-physical" world is more an in-game thing anyway. I imagine you could call it whatever you wanted.
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

The Metaphysical World...

Post by Torakhan »

As far as I have always known, there is sort of this sub-space known as "The Essence" or "Ether" that the essence of things is sort of floating around in and tapped into. All living, natural things draw on this energy force to grow and live. When something decays (naturally), that force that held it together is returned to that Essence realm/pool. When someone's own sentient essence is released in death, it goes into that ether and swims about in the essence, slowly dissolving into the base essence to be re-used again in the cycle. (However, of late, that concept has been altered with some things like the Hall of Heroes, and The Dreaming where souls, copies of souls, or shadows of souls, reside and can be accessed, or removed.)

Empaths can channel that source and manifest the energy in our plane to do effects, and it also manifests in other such ways. Channeling a "boom" is gathering of that essence and using it to throw that energy at something and its violent release basically returns the essence back into the cycle--not destroying the energy, just altering it, or moving it from one place to another.

It is the destruction of essence entirely that actually known as "Necromancy" (not just the raising of the dead and undead, etc.). Phantera only has so much Essence, and destroying it is like removing water from the earth... the more it happens, the less there is until living things can't grow, etc.

Now, there are several other planes, realities, worlds that have shown up on different levels of Phantera before. For instance:
• There's the Elemental planes that exist in congruency, but separate from our own realm and may/may not affect our own plane's elements.
• There's also the Dreaming, or other realms that work with completely different metaphysical natural laws where entities may appear spiritual here, but would be material there...
• There are other worlds, other realms that are separate from Phanterra, or exist within its penumbra, or adjacent to Phanterra if not still within it, but separate from the realm of Haven somehow.
• And then there are even other timelines that have mashed and melded with the one we recognize, but may not have been native/intended for the one we are in (two separate pasts may have existed in one time, for instance.)

This all comes from my years of RP and conversations. It MAY be different based on who you talk to, but these are what I know to be general truths as far as I'm aware.

Phanterra is a place of metaphysical properties, or at least as we would recognize them. To a native of Phanterra, mixing herbs together to make a potion that can turn you into stone is just "natural science".
Perhaps a better definition (in/out of character) of "metaphysics" is: "Any effect or action that draws upon Essence from beyond the natural cycle to create an effect or act that manifests physically, or reacts with Essence."

As for what a character wants to call it?... that's entirely IC. If a race looks at Essence and calls it "Soujuice", and another thinks of the Essence as "Blood of the World", then so be it. Let folks call it whatever they want ICly. But hopefully I've helped OOCly. :)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

For the record, we have written one plot that has involved the dreaming since the event that took place there three years ago. If it is being overdone, it is PC initiated.
Oh believe me, I know. Never blamed it on the GM's. :wink:

I agree with nearly everything you have said marcus, the only thing is i see the empaths as how the skill is used, you gather it up into a ball and hurl it at the target, if you were to build it up in the target it would be more like a point cast.
It's not a build up at all. Empaths gather energy from the world around them and then if the mass hits a target, the sudden increase to the target's systems overloads it and causes damage. It's a magical "electric shock" of a burst of 220 volts to a system set up for 110 current.

But the concentrated mass an Empath gathers is very short lived, and so when the packet "misses the target", it basically loses cohesion and dissipates harmlessly back into the world.

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I love the theories
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

well then in game im going to stick with calling it the "Ether"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I love the theories.
Well, to be truthful, it's right there in writing at the end of the world guide, I'm just rewording it instead of directly quoting it.