warriors and thier role (its going to be a good one :P)

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

I agree 100%.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

That's the whole point of Final Haven, the struggle of the group to survive by working together for a greater cause, not the Lone Wolf Mentality, of only looking out for yourself.
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I love def matrix. I combine it with taunt and use it on monsters that swing 1 crush. It ties up a monster so they can't hurt anybody. Gives everyone time to charge. It's terrible if you're by yourself, but I'm never by myself. :D If I could swing 1's with it, I'm sure I'd use it more.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Your're too deep in mechanics, Ark. You don't have to enact Defensive Matrix to stand your ground. Slisk almost never did.

I've made my own thoughts on metaphysics well known in the past, but the overal game and rules perspective is very much open to individual interpretation - which in turn supports almost any character concept.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i am well aware of how well working with people can go. im usually fighting with someone.

example: Matt as Vox and me as Ark were fighting a tsunotaur raider, at least 100 soak and swung for a base of 2 that only swung more as it neared death, then it could fight whilst it bled out, it was weilding two weapons (and played by JJ so was no slouch) vox was weilding two weapons, i was useing one.

i had a charge up skill so vox would keep him angry while i charged, i would hit and run using my skill and hitting a few times for three, vox would contine to break in and out of combat weilding one weapon defensivly.

(we do this alot, one weapon down one up. the reason for breaking in and out of combat is because the first few hits are the most tactical, after that it becomes a slug fest, and tough NPC will always out last you)

after a few minutes of this we would switch, i would fight with the monster while he would rest.

-numbers usually win
-teamwork is rewarded
-defense is mitigated more by enviornment then offense

i think the -1 damage so that a few specific builds could swing 1 would be cool, or you would have to rage and give up parry but i dont know if the skills conflict off the top of my head. but if you devote a path and a discipline to making this work, i dont see why not.

edit:
by the way, in one istance (rogue crit strike) we say you cannot balance a skill against other skills or people, and in another (def matrix) its balanced against other skills and people. . .hmmm :wink:
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

hate to double post

i do relise that even the ability to do one damage whilst under the effects of defensive matrix could be overpowering in little situations. (some people able to swing damage whilst taking none, it would be rare, but it would happen)

i think this stems from the fact that everyone, even NPC's hate doing nothing, its a very bad feeling that nobody likes and nobody enjoys. and i dont think any skill should have the oppurtunity to negate all damage.

so my proposed idea is a slight change to defensive matrix: in both cases the downside is that you cannot use charge up or life point activated skills, but can still swing damage normally.

1)- change it from -1 down to 0, to -1 down to 1. it remians usefull all the time but at no point are you simply immune to damage.

2)- drop rage to an advanced skill, move defensive matrix up to a master level skill and change it to -2 down to 1. (a monster swings 1 it does 1, 3 it does 1, 4 it does 2, 5 it does 3, etc.

this does two things, 1 the warrior is always taking some damage, and 2 the skill is always usefull. i think complete negation of damage should come from actual players (block attacks, use a shield, etc.) and not just gained through a skill.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Ark how do you feel about the parry skill?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

GM_Chris wrote:Ark how do you feel about the parry skill?
its a fantastic skill that the warrior is ballanced against. the crutch holding it up.
as someone who is very paranoid i like it, you never know if you might get hit with a 5 vorpal or 5 crush, etc. useless against small lethal numbers such as constant 1 vorpal and 1 crush, the latter being far more lethal. it does not protect against magic wich is fine. the cost is reasonable.

its easilly countered by smart players or NPC's, hit in the back, poison, small lethal numbers as i said before. i could use it multiple times in one fight or go an entire event without using it depending on curcumstances, but the same can be said for most skills.

if i had to classify different skills by threat, it protects against alot of mid level threat attacks that you could probobly soak up anyway but this saves soak (crit strikes, 5 vorpal, 5 crush, etc) the big killers are still going to get you (sleep and knockout, big booms etc) and things to little to even make using parry worth it to stop (1 vorpal, 1 crush, normal damage)

its good, it fills a niche, but its not the end all be all of skills.
it also does not negate all damage, you take 1 vorpal.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

When I play a warrior I love it. It allows me to take a "1 vorpal" to resist damage that would take other PC's so far into the negatives that they would be un-saveable. I have personally parried a "100" damage call in-game with it that snuck past my fists.

It also turns any vorpal disease or poison call into a 'resist' if you don't have one of them already. You can also use it as a 'resist magic' against any Empath using their channel through a weapon. There have been times where I have parried monster NPCs swinging "10 crush" because I was on a plot without a craftsman to repair armor, but could regenerate/get healed instead (and I also have tons of life to spend).

I would call it a skill that is normally good, and situationally awesome.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

some people able to swing damage whilst taking none, it would be rare, but it would happen
rare? any main combat PC worth thier spit would seek out such power, unless there was some concept/RP reason thier character would refrain.

1)- change it from -1 down to 0, to -1 down to 1. it remians usefull all the time but at no point are you simply immune to damage.

uhm....ya lost me. splain?

2)- drop rage to an advanced skill, move defensive matrix up to a master level skill and change it to -2 down to 1. (a monster swings 1 it does 1, 3 it does 1, 4 it does 2, 5 it does 3, etc.

this does two things, 1 the warrior is always taking some damage, and 2 the skill is always usefull. i think complete negation of damage should come from actual players (block attacks, use a shield, etc.) and not just gained through a skill.
doing so would essentially chump parry, since with the damage 90% of the NPCs swing your changes are essentially unlimited parry that can be taken off CBR and armor first.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"