the inballance of rogues

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

I think I will leave this as my last post on this -

At the moment I have not seen any serious imbalance at any of our events - we have finally been getting a good mix of Paths (although Empaths are still hit and miss).

At WH we are usually looking at a couple more Rouges than Wizards - so while I do agree that Wizard could use a little work there are people willing to play them. Heck we usually have more Wizards than we do Empaths usually.

As for Jack of all Trades it is a purely personal choice - for a character I made Jack of all Trades was perfect for what I wanted to do.

So while numbers wise they may not look balanced, in the game the chaos of battle actually balances them out.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

offensive skills cannot be mitigated by player skill, you cannot just charge more damage because your fast and good about avoiding blows.
so untrue, a skilled fighter(player skills) can easily shut down a roge. Not sure how you can even say otherwise without lauighing.

and warriors have cool swap out skills? did I miss a supplement?
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Wyrmwrath wrote: and warriors have cool swap out skills? did I miss a supplement?
actually because the rogue debate is pretty much over. . .

what is your opinion of defensive matrix, and the warrior swap out skills?

basic
-use bow (people who want to use bows will take archer, i guess this is a slight boost to them)
-last stand (kills you, dead = 0 dps, not worth it)
-use shield (solid skill)

advanced
-crush (too high cost for too little, and weapon restricted)
-battle tactics (is a wizard skill hiding in the warrior swap out section)

master
-noble reputation (political skills? really? of all the things you add to make warrior seem like its not a one trick pony, really?
-single weapon spec (so a warrior does not have to take a discipline to do three, i get it, but the cost is too high for it to be usefull)
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

what is your opinion of:
defensive matrix
Lame, especially since no one RPs it like Chris says it should be to be effective. They just stand there. Only useful as a stall against tons of low damage swinging NPOCs which is rarely the case because of NPC shortage or the need for the NPCs to be tougher even when they have fairly good numbers

use bow
Strong, warrior archer with use bow does 2 vorpal per arrow without charging, 4 if charged 10 secinds. Thats nice, if thats the build you want. add swashbuckler and your an armor ignoring monster.

last stand
the skill offers no value for the cost. If it was 10 crush for 10 to 20 seconds...THEN it would be a heroic death to fend off the incoming hordes to give your allies time to do whatever needs doing
use shield
nuff said
crush
if it was like the barbarian crush, then it would have value. like this, again not enough bang for the buck.
battle tactics
like the RP of it for a leadership oriented warrior, low payout. the charge time isnt worth a single strike when so many other enhencers give combat long or event long effects
noble reputation
like the RP skill. I use it.
single weapon spec
a master level path skill weaker than the level 4 discipline ... makes little sense. Im guessing they were trying to offset making it selectable, or prevent stacking but its again to high in cost for the payout considering you cant use a shield.
If it was a +2, then id be behind it and it would make t handed weapon users a threat.

cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

how about suggestions for swap out stills that

do not increase damage or soak?
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

*EDIT*
Changed my mind. Aside from the rules suggestions I have already promised, I think it best I not delve into that (if willpower lets me resist the urge) since my last attempt to help make suggestions and improvements was met with sillyness over me being allowed to do so on a forum whose title had GM in it, even though I wasnt the only GM there. That just shows squeeky wheels making that noise arent serious about the process.