First Character!

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

First Character!

Post by Kertum Lightsworn »

Hey guys, I have been reading the rules and making a character as I go along and this is what I have come up with so far,

Race - Human
Age - Young adult (19)
Life - 1
Essence Boon - (Flee or Resist fear, don't know yet.)
Path - Empath

1). I have a few questions as well.

2). Is the Empath path an okay first path to pick?

3) .Do I get all of the basic spells when I start, or only 1?

4). What is a good Essence Boon to pick for an Empath?

5). When it says "Count" Does it mean just count to that number?

6). Is the "Alchemy Lab (Basic) something I should worry about since I am just now starting?

7). I am in need of a weapon for my character, Although I don't know what kind I need, does anyone have one that I could have? Maybe purchase?

8). How does my character sound, anything I am leaving out and need to put it? (I mean up to the Alchemy Lab part, all I have learned so far.)

Thank you all for reading this!
"Being showered in your enemies bloodshed is a sure sign of revenge."
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

How well do you throw? If you do not throw well you might have a hard time, but honestly it does not matter.

As for count it means count Mississippi's basically a 5 count is 5 seconds.

A more important question would be how do you plan on role playing your character?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Pretty much any Path is good to start with although I usually recommend Empath or Warrior for combat oriented characters, Rogue is not bad either. These give you skills to immediately feel useful and/or not die as easily.

When you start your character at Level 0 (zero) you recieve the 4 skills listed in the main book under your Path, but may replace some with skills from the Heroes and Villians expansion if you so desire, but you will not start with more than 4 skills. You will also recieve a Level 1 Discipline skill so choose that as well. If you like going out on plots I receommend something that gives you the "Scout" skill, or bonus Life.

A good essence boon for Empaths is "Lesser Channel", with that you can throw an 8 Magic packet attack in 10 seconds.. pretty solid for a starting character.

When the rulebook refers to a "Count" it means "Seconds".. so a 60 count means 60 seconds.

If you are starting out as an Empath there would be no need to start with an Alchemy Lab, these are utilized by those that have chosen Wizard path skills. While the Empath may seem a spell casting character, they are relly more of an energy channeler.. a big gun if you will. throwing around destructive energy.. think a Dragonball Z character if you watch anime.. Where as a Wizard is more along the lines of Gandolph from LOTR.

As for weapons, posting on here will usually get you responses if you are looking to buy, also you can usually borrow a weapon from the NPC staff for an event, but prefer that after your first event you decide what you like and either purchase or make your own. There are some very good detailed posts about how to make your own somewhere on here I am sure.

Any other questions, or ones that were not answred here, feel free to keep asking.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Re: First Character!

Post by Torakhan »

Kertum Lightsworn wrote: 2). Is the Empath path an okay first path to pick?
3) .Do I get all of the basic spells when I start, or only 1?
4). What is a good Essence Boon to pick for an Empath?
5). When it says "Count" Does it mean just count to that number?
6). Is the "Alchemy Lab (Basic) something I should worry about since I am just now starting?
7). I am in need of a weapon for my character, Although I don't know what kind I need, does anyone have one that I could have? Maybe purchase?
8). How does my character sound, anything I am leaving out and need to put it? (I mean up to the Alchemy Lab part, all I have learned so far.)
I'm only answering the questions I know can adequately answer. :)

2). You only get one Path, so if you wanna do Empath stuff, go ahead. Then again, you traditionally get a chance after your first event to "re-write" your character if you feel you now have a better understanding of what you wanted to play after giving it a try.

5). I believe all potion and item tags were updated to use the term "second/s count" to clarify that. However, the book may still have just "count" in it. But it's meant to be the same as "seconds."

6). You can use other players' Alchemy Labs in game (if they'll let you). You'll just have to use them when others let you.

7). The book gives instructions for a very basic boffer weapon made with CPVC pipe, some thick pipe insulation and duct tape. (remember to always tape along the length of the "sword", not around. :) ) Otherwise, others may have a weapon you can borrow, but it may be something similar. Once you know that it is the character type you're interested in, you may be more confident to purchase a weapon... either from someone else online, or a store. There are several major LARP weapon manufacturers/retailers, but a few in particular are frowned upon because they are very stiff (Calimacil and NERF swords are usually too hard for most folks' likes... especially NPCs who'll receive thousands of hits each event.)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks alot for all the speedy answers! I have a few questions that were not answered or that I thought of while reading my post,
You mentioned something about choosing some type of "Disciple" skill is that something that will be mentioned later on?

I am about to make my boffer I believe today, can a Empath just you a regular short sword? Also, can the sword I am going to make be make out of a pool noodle with the PVC inside?

So I can use all of the spells/skills that are written in the "Basic" Section of the Empath's skills/abilities?

What color does the spell packet need to be for the lesser channel skill and the one Empath skill?

The next event is the beer one in a few weeks, so I will not be able to be in that one because it will have mainly people just drinking, yes?

Thank you so much for all the awesome replies, Definently wouldnt be able to do it without the forums and wonderful people!
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

First let me start by saying welcome to Larping!

If you refer to the core rulebook, there is a section devoted to desciplines. I believe it's just past the Paths section... Each Discipline has Four skills that become progressively more expensive to buy
. You're only limited by what Lifestyle (Savage, Common., or Privileged) you chose at character creation and how many points you have available. Keep in mind that you must buy Discipline skills in order, ie to have the fourth lvl skill you have to have the third, second and first. It allows for some very interesting character builds

You are allowed to have four basic Empath skills, so if you haven't checked out the Heroes and Villains Expansion I suggest looking through it as you can swap a few skills.

I think the only limitation on packet coloring is what will be easiest for you to find? Remember, you will most likely be throwing packets at night... Into the woods... Along with other Empaths...
So what color would you like YOUR packets to be?
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Honor Guard of the Last Grand Oracle
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

Kertum Lightsworn wrote: You mentioned something about choosing some type of "Disciple" skill is that something that will be mentioned later on?

I am about to make my boffer I believe today, can a Empath just you a regular short sword? Also, can the sword I am going to make be make out of a pool noodle with the PVC inside?

What color does the spell packet need to be for the lesser channel skill and the one Empath skill?

The next event is the beer one in a few weeks, so I will not be able to be in that one because it will have mainly people just drinking, yes?
There are Paths starting on Pg. 19 (Empaths, Healer, Rogue, Sage, Warrior, Wizard) and Disciplines starting on pg. 43 (Archer, Assassin, Barbarian, Beast Hunter, etc.) who's availability are based on your chosen beginning Lifestyle from pg. 42.

The pool noodle is likely to be much thicker than the pipe insulation foam and in that case, it should be nicer on the NPCs (or PCs, if you must.) However, it's not designed to fit around a pipe, so just make sure it's not a loose fit. Also, make sure you include at least a few inches at the top of extra space beyond the internal pipe for a "thrusting tip". Similarly, include something the same at the bottom in case you need to bop someone with the butt of the sword. Again, those instructions are in the book on pg. 98.

Packets can be of any color, whether they're for spells, or used as "rocks". Just make sure that they are square packets with birdseed and not firmly filled.

The Late January event isn't really an event, it's really just a get-together of friends. No characters, no points. Just hanging out, drinking and yacking with folks you haven't seen in a few months, or longer.[/b]
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Also, yes Empaths are allowed to use any weapon, but for it to be considered a true "short sword" it must be under the maximum length. I believe weapon and shield sizing is at near the end of the core rulebook

Final Haven has a Beer Event???? How come I wasn't notified? Did I miss the memo? LOL I think you're referring to the winter one day event, as alcohol is strictly forbidden at all of the events...
Trust me, running through the woods when it's pitch black is dangerous enough... And I don't think the Boy Scouts would appreciate us drinking on their campground lol
[/i]
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

He is actually talking about the Final Haven/CARPS Sledding party at the end of the Month @ Bertha Brock,

The Final Haven One-day is FEB 18...
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ohh makes so much more sense! I cannot find a Discipline to choose for my Empath, I plan on being Privilaged or Common. Anyone know a good Discipline to choose? I like the idea of Buffing/Healing as well as doing damage spells and melee. :shock:
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Escellapian is a good discipline, but unfortunately I be the only one who knows and I am not telling. :P

Have you thought about your character besides the skills? For example what does your character think is right and wrong? Is he quiet or loud? Introvert or extrovert? Smart or Slow? Are you a lumberjack in your spare time, and if so do you enjoy picking wild flowers?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Yes and if your a lumberjack do you sleep all night and work all day? On Wednesdays do you go shoppin' and have buttered scones for tea?

Curios minds want to know...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Haku
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Haku »

Don't forget you are allowed a character rewrite after your first event. If you don't like how your initial build is playing, switch it up! Also, you are allowed to have multiple characters, but only one recieves the levels from an event.

Who says he's a lumberjack? Maybe he's just a simple fisherman.... Kinda need a few of those right now lol[/b]
~ Carpe Nocturn ~

Paer'An' Alla'Ana
Lightning Rider
Defender of the Flame
Kertum Lightsworn
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Well! I have finally read the rules, really sketchy on a few things though. Do I have to print of the character sheet and carry it with me?
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

They will have blanks at the event if yuo cant get a blank yourself, but yes it must be on your person during the event....or Chris will pants you or something.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"