Doors

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Shea Stonebrook
Town Member
Town Member
Location: On the way back to Woodhold from traveling with Connor (my husband)

Doors

Post by Shea Stonebrook »

Specifically the gate at the keep.

I thought that the enemy had to constently attack the door for 5 UNINTERUPTED minutes before the door was compromised/broke down/destroyed. Sat night the attackers were interupted (I thought) why did the gate come down?

Also during a battle at the keep on Sat night someone had asked me to "repair armor" on the door...
IS THAT POSSIBLE?
(as long as they could keep the enemy from hitting the door for 5 min?.. that would be awesome)

There is no where in the rule book that tells us how long it takes to make and install a door.... I've heard it's instantanious and then I assumed it would take at least as long as a shield or sword (1 hour)

I "get" most of the rules they make sense....this as it is doesn't make sense to me... I don't see it....please, help me out here.
Doors
A door must have a tag that signifies how many minutes it takes 4 people with a battering ram to
knock the door down. Doors that are tag-less can be destroyed in 5 minutes by a character with a
headed weapon. If the person is interrupted the count must be restarted and no partial damage
will be assessed. Wooden doors cost 2 supplies and 2 hide for every thirty seconds it takes to
batter the door down. Steel Doors cost 4 supplies and 4 steel for each minute it takes to batter the
door down.
Shea Stonebrook

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

When playing a zombie earlier this year at FH, I was told it takes 4 people 5 contnous minutes to destroy a door. If interrupted or they lose one of the 4, the count has to start over entirely.

This was for a basic door that came with the building, not for one of the more quality doors described in the construction rules.

At my last Winter Haven event, this issue came up as Mallet of the Callahans was trying to replace a door. I do not recall the ruling he was given then. Phil and Matt would be the ones to ask since I think Travis was MIA that event.

But yes the doors crafting and installation rules s well as destruction rules needs to be codified. Basic, reinforced wood, and metal and reinforced metal doors should be listed, as well as what spells and skills affect them an how. Does an empath shatter destroy a door no matter the construction like it would a shield? What about vorpal and crush attacks or the spell that causes natural materials to decay? Can you rot a wooden door to nothing? can you rust a metal door to nothing?

For that matter, since we have building walls and keep walls, can such things be used to makes holes in the walls or take down the walls or crumble a building.

Lots off off season stuff for the staff to get rules for.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

1st off it is 5 Uninterrupted minutes to take down a door by the rules - but as happens some NPC's have the ability to override the rules sometimes - I do not know if this is what happened at FH but it is always a possibility.

As for Doors and the like - it is on the agenda for the off-season to get the rules for these clarified better and put in the book.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

the rules in the door construction section differ from that 5 minute rule...and they requre a battering ram.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

That's one of my gripes about the gate, since I interrupted them several times with a long line of zombies.

I don't mind when they change up a rule, I would just like a warning before the fight.

We are working on new door rules that take out alot of the vagueness during the off season to go along with our play test building rules.
Travis Cole
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

I don't understand how doors are that complicated. The only problem, admittedly, was that I should have put up a "If this gate is closed it is considered BARRED" tag on the gate. Otherwise:

Doors
-A door must have a tag that signifies how many minutes it takes 4 people with a battering ram to knock the door down.
-I always took these a 'constructed with resources' doors, with the tag that says "Door", followed by "knock down time= x"

-Doors that are tag-less can be destroyed in 5 minutes by a character with a headed weapon.
-This is the rule that my gates were initially created to conform to (doors that exist in the "real world" but aren't made with in-game resources). They don't cost in-game resources, but aren't nearly as 'tough'.

-If the person is interrupted the count must be restarted and no partial damage will be assessed.
-This exact rule and the underlined bits in the one above are the exact problem and frustration we had with the NPC's at that battle.

-Wooden doors cost 2 supplies and 2 hide for every thirty seconds it takes to batter the door down. Steel Doors cost 4 supplies and 4 steel for each minute it takes to batter the door down.

-This rule always struck me as a "reinforced door". They cost game respources, but unlike above, they take four guys and a battering ram a certain specified time to break down.

Also (what I had assumed) per the gates:

Locks
-A locking mechanism can be placed on any door or opening. This locking mechanism must be physically represented and tagged by using an actual lock. This lock only symbolizes a locking mechanism and not what the mechanism looks like.

-A door with no locking mechanism is assumed to be locked by sliding a bar which can be slid open in no time by a person on the inside or if no one is inside, then the door is assumed to be unbarred.