Poll on Alchemy

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

How do you view Alchemy

Any idiot with a cookbook should be able to do it
7%
Well maybe not an Idiot more like a trained chef
36%
There is something mystical about and you must be specially tuned to magical forces to do it.
36%
It is highly magical in nature, kind of like the Harry Potter universe
21%

Total votes: 14
GM_Chris
GM

Poll on Alchemy

Post by GM_Chris »

How do you view alchemy
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Well none of those fit.

Here is my vote:

"Alchemy is a branch of mytical knowledge that a skilled practioner to use to combine mundane and magicly latent ingrediants in brews/eliqers/potions/salves that convey effects similar to magic and on occasion effects laden with magical energies when consumed/used"
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Lady Lucindre
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Lady Lucindre »

I'd call that choice 3 Brian.
Find peace in the eternal embrace of the Goddess.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I do not think they need to be "tuned" to magic...just trained and knowledgable on the ingredients and the brewing processes.

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well if they need to be trained but not magically attuned then its choice 2, its like being a trained chef
Chris
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

i like alchemy as spells in a bottle. just me.
Travis Cole
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Well if they need to be trained but not magically attuned then its choice 2, its like being a trained chef
I can see how you would say that, but I think trained chef doesnt convey the right non mundane quality. I think my responce would be between your second and third about half way...

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

cole45 wrote:i like alchemy as spells in a bottle. just me.
^_^ this
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You dont watch enough food network as good chef's do magical things and are way different than a line cook
Chris
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Torakhan »

I have already voted, but thought I'd just add to the conversation with my own opinion:

I think that performing alchemy requires some bit of training and discipline. You don't have to be chosen by a Dragon to perform it, but you also need to be trained and take time to do it too.
To take mundane ingredients and prepare them in such a way as to produce a material that can do supernatural things should require a certain level of skill and devotion each day to a character. That is why it requires a section of one's available skillset to decide that you want to be able to create alchemical items.

Does a person have to be magically attuned? I don't think so.
Should anybody be able to throw some herbs into a pot and make a Regrow Limb potion? I don't think so either.
Does being an alchemist require someone to dedicate part of their lives that could otherwise be dedicated to something else in order to do alchemy (taking Alchemy as a path/etc. in order to do alchemy)? Yes.
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

You dont watch enough food network as good chef's do magical things and are way different than a line cook
I know they are different, I know a few of both. But when people on the food network can make stuff that regrows limbs, mends flesh, or transforms people into creatures, on that day...I will study to become a chef....and call them alchemists.

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I think the closest real world analogy to the archtypical alchemist is a world class brewmaster who has mastered the processes and has great knowledge ov the value and effect of ingredients, so can whip up a recepie he has run across or experiment to create his own.
The current system would be like that same brewmaster who can only ever make Guiness type beer, but never Budwiser type beer, even though he usses the same essential processes and ingredients. THATS why I think its silly.

Lady Lucindre
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Lady Lucindre »

*throws two copper into the pot*

He can learn how to make an ale, it's just going to take him a while. You don't take as long to learn how to make a lager so people aren't stuck at level zero making water for 6 years, but honestly, it probably would take as long to become as proficient. I also agree that swapping skills out at check-in wouldn't be OPed since there's really no foresight (Seer hint maybe? :P). I would say that alchemists could swap something out once a year if they absolutely hated it, but then I enjoy trying to find utility in everything.

Is a mechanic for swapping out Path skills in the works? Discipline skills can be unlearned, which works for Arcanists, but not so much for Wizards.

Now I'm tempted to bring in my Healer/Alchemist to test this out...
Find peace in the eternal embrace of the Goddess.