Nicholson point system

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

your right, this is not halo, they are billionaires, we are not. though im sure somewere in there they must have gotten something right? i only say this because it seems modern games get thrown in our face, and i cant understand why. . .

pj er;; o hirdd

-1st
i am not comparing effort/money based ideas, i am soley focused on a $$$ only system, as effort is hard to judge in value, money is not. . .i think, watching alot of news and i may be wrong, who knows. i am in no way oposed to effort, but for the sake of arguement i have excluded it.

-2nd
the metagame ideas i posted above are not game breaking, nor do they ruin or overpower anyone elses game, they are player controlled decisions for that players enjoyment of the game. for whatever reason if they no longer feel or want to play a specific race, path, etc. this would provide them the option to change, as well as for the game to make some money

-3rd
your comment about a rewrite being more than $100 is absurd to say the least. the goal of these games is for people to have fun, and the role of the GM's and NPC's is to present a fun game. part of that fun is the challenge, the fear of death, and the character that each individual creates.
so how why make it so hard on someone to play a character they want to make? what right do you have to say "no ha ha your stuck with it?"

In my time running Springhaven with my familly we have always recogonised one thing foremost: we are there to make sure they have fun. and many times i have had players come to me, regretting decicions they have made when creating there character. could have been a perk they didnt end up useing as much as they thought, or someone thinking their discipline did not fit who there character was. every time i nodded, smiled and said yeah sure go change it. in return they have fun and enjoy there "new" character.

. . .how could you take that away from people?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Well to be honest you are allowed to re-write your character after your first event. With Perks and Advanced Abilities you have been to at least 10 events so you should have a good enough grasp on what abilities work in what ways.

There is already a mechanic for changing disciplines. It is done by unlearning it level by level, freeing those points up to be used on a new discipline. Doing it too quickly would be hard to explain in-game, especially if you do so frequently. I don't feel as though it should be something that can be done other than the above means unless something mechanically has changed or something in game merits a dynamic shift in the players abilities.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

your right, this is not halo, they are billionaires, we are not. though im sure somewere in there they must have gotten something right?
No clue what point your trying to make here...what am I missing?

i only say this because it seems modern games get thrown in our face, and i cant understand why. . .
Here is why...they are video games..NOR role playing games...even the ones called RGPsm which is supposed to mean role playing game...ARENT role playing games. They are multiple choice video games. There isnt a video game on the planet that is even close to what a role playing game is. Video games are about winning, finishing, beating the game. Role playing games are about the journey and exploration of the adventures and adversities of a character that is rich in personaliy and depth that you create and attempt to portray accurately to your concept.

They are as similar as writing a play or book is to winning the super bowl. That means they arent.

When you attend a role playing game with a video game mind set you are doing yourself AND the other players a dis service. Everyone suffers because you dont get out of the game the rewards it can offer and other role players have to interact with a 2 dimentional PC that just wants to hit the mega punch or ninja kick combo buttons and defeat the bad guy to get his loot.

i am in no way oposed to effort, but for the sake of arguement i have excluded it.

To exclude it is to be trying to support HALF an argument and is pointless.

the metagame ideas i posted above are not game breaking, nor do they ruin or overpower anyone elses game, they are player controlled decisions for that players enjoyment of the game. for whatever reason if they no longer feel or want to play a specific race, path, etc. this would provide them the option to change, as well as for the game to make some money
Your just making my point yet again... they may or may not be grame breaking/overpowering because they ruin the submersion of the real role players trying to enjoy the game. THATS the balance that is most fragile.
What your suggestion is it would be oh if half way through the 2dn Star Wars trilogy Darth Vader just up an decided he wanted to play an ewok instead....and still expected everyone else to pretend he had ALWAYS been such. Its perposterous. I am not opposed to PC rewrites, but I think they need to be staff controlled, CRAZY costly to prevent them form being commonplace, require the relinquishing of all in game items and info of the change is so drastic that the PC is essentially an experienced yet brand new PC.
If a player wants such a change and IS A ROLE PLAYER...there are ways to make the change in game already.

your comment about a rewrite being more than $100 is absurd to say the least. the goal of these games is for people to have fun, and the role of the GM's and NPC's is to present a fun game. part of that fun is the challenge, the fear of death, and the character that each individual creates.

so how why make it so hard on someone to play a character they want to make? what right do you have to say "no ha ha your stuck with it?"

uhm because thats called PLAYING THE ROLE...

If you go to work tomorrow and dont like your life and job do you get to just call someone and wake up a blonde female with a different life and job...no ya dont. What your suggesting is doing that same exact thing to a PC. in a ROLE PLAYING game they are living breathing people with ties and connections and influences amogn the other PCs. If you really want to play a different build, start over with a brand new PC and just dont play that one any more.

In my time running Springhaven with my familly we have always recogonised one thing foremost: we are there to make sure they have fun. and many times i have had players come to me, regretting decicions they have made when creating there character. could have been a perk they didnt end up useing as much as they thought, or someone thinking their discipline did not fit who there character was. every time i nodded, smiled and said yeah sure go change it. in return they have fun and enjoy there "new" character.
Thats because you..a person that hasnt fully grasped what a role playing game is....is trying to run a roile playing game, and apparently doing it like an xbox 360 game. Had your done the right thing and talked to them about why they built the PC that way and why they regretted the decision and explained that playing the PC was the goal...not winning or losing, that being the PC you have created is "the fun", they may still have had fun. But you gave them the easy way out and now you will never know if they could have grown and matured and grasped what you havent yet.

Also keep in mind when you allow such things your stealing the enjoyment of others whose game world your artifically breaking and re building.

. .how could you take that away from people?
Its not taking anything away, its GIVING them a chance to play the game for the right reason. Its giving them ANOTHER and better avenue to gain enjoyement.

Well to be honest you are allowed to re-write your character after your first event. With Perks and Advanced Abilities you have been to at least 10 events so you should have a good enough grasp on what abilities work in what ways.

There is already a mechanic for changing disciplines. It is done by unlearning it level by level, freeing those points up to be used on a new discipline. Doing it too quickly would be hard to explain in-game, especially if you do so frequently. I don't feel as though it should be something that can be done other than the above means unless something mechanically has changed or something in game merits a dynamic shift in the players abilities.
Bravo...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

To be fair you are allowed to pretty much re-write your character within the game world.

You are also able to re-write your character before your second event.

I would not be apposed to people paying money or effort to say "retire" a character and then start a "new" character at a heightened point level.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

when the idea for retirement was around i was all for it, still am.

er;; o, pgg yjr npstfd gpt s ejo;r. v;rst;u o vsmy vjsmhr s ,omf. dp eju npyjrt/

. . . .*i wash my hands of this discussion*
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

I feel as though retiring a character and bringing another character with any kind of advantage (Levels, Character Points, Items, etc...) is not good. If a player decides to do a bunch of PVP things and then retire it's not fair because there would be no repercussions.
er;; o, pgg yjr npstfd gpt s ejo;r. v;rst;u o vsmy vjsmhr s ,omf. dp eju npyjrt/
What is this and why does it keep showing up in your posts? Just curious...