hypothetical Shield Question

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You could be right that shield bashing would just end up hurting people.

I also do not like hurting people and never said physicality should equal hurting people.

Lastly back to my question. Does kings rules help minimize shield bashing? Basically does Shield bashing make you more vulnerable and in a kings rule game you cannot afford to be made vulnerable.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

You can't shield bash or swat in SCA combat. Belgrath, KANAR and Dagohir are the only widely played games that allow shield attacks that I know of. They also tend to be on the high end of physical combat games. NERO does not even allow the use of real arrows...actually many LARP feel as though they are a very dangerous liability. But that's a different story entirely...

Shield bashing is awesome...if you are just messing around in the yard with friends. Here's what I would like to see in a LARP if it allowed shield bashing.

1. Weapon certifications administered by a game staff member who is seasoned in LARP combat and isn't afraid to tell unsafe fighters no.

2. Well laid out guidelines as to how a shield bashing shield is to be constructed.

3. A member of the game staff that checks over all shield bashing shields going into the field (NPC and PC alike) to make sure they are safe and well maintained.

If it were integrated into the FH system I would like to also see there be a reload time on shield bashing. Use shield once allows a PC to use their shield and having it twice allows them to bash for 2 Crush or Press with a 15 second reload time.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

.why does it seem that your trying to push for the bash at FH/WH?
I have no idea LOL, as I said this is a hypothetical post. All of my posts on new types of rules have been hypothetical. :)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Well in fairness its been 31 years since I have been in SCA combat, and I recall there being a bit of shield contact then, but things change since as you have stated NERO doesnt allow live arrows anymore.

I am not opposed to bashing personally, having been hit by vehicles and worse...a foam shield doesnt bother me. The reason I oppose actual shield swatting is that not ever player at a LARP isnt a 400 pound male with real life combat experience and no sense of self preservation. I can see "Fionas" point, some dont even like the combat aspect but see it as a nessecary evil of the IG drama the RP generates.

I think the solution to adding damage generation with a shield, that will make the MOST players happy, is one where there is no contact. Two levels of shield allow you to spend a life and do a 2 or 3 crush attack with a 15 or 20 second recharge or whatever its called. It will make the man at arms and basic dwarven warriors more interesting to be sure.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"