Things that make you go ...hhhmmmmmmm....

Need help? Others (may) have answers!

Moderator: Admin

Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

I have the ability to cast a spell that traps an incapacitated or willing target in a magic circle. While within the circle I can effect you in any way but nothing you do can effect anything outside of it. The only way you can get out is if someone takes the time to destroy the circle or if you have Escape Artist.

I saw a goblin who healed people by biting them.

A blacksmith who crafts things using psychic powers.

A sylvanni who can tell your future using cards.

A guthrie with magical candies that give you special powers.

Roleplay is what makes your character unique. It's what turns Brian the guy who plays a Path/Discipline into Kaylan Chargeender.

Bottom line is this...The skill is what you make it as long as it does not change the mechanics associated with it. When it comes to roleplaying the skill that is your only boundary.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

When Dani played Abhaya she "Ate the Dead" by pulling the remaining essence out of the body, which to the rest of us looked like fine smoke. It destroyed the body part in question in the process. Her character never once touched the body, much less got her hands bloody. She thought it was abhorrent.

Research is just the stuff you do between events to gain knowledge about something. It encompasses anything the player can think of that a character could do towards that goal.

Heck, I can remember what I researched as my sage Crowley about the Shadow Man that Phil played at Winter Haven, and that request came back to me in April of last year and I haven't looked at it since.

I personally like the ambiguity that lets you personalize a skill, but that's just me.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Read this response to the patronizing replies to my earlier posts...at your own peril
Lets say for a minute that, for the purposes of this game you are correct, and the Research skill required Read/Write in order to work

Problem is...that's NOT my assertion. If you read what I wrote, I am not implying that a PC should need read and write to DO the research. My assertion is they would need one to RECORD their research, since its nuts to think they could retain every detail for weeks and months at a time.

if you were to go this in-depth for just this single skill, in order to preserve balance, you would have to apply pre-requisite skills for the majority of the other skills in the game. By the time it was done, the rulebook would be a set of encyclopedias.

You do know most all the skills in the game DO have a prerequisite yes? That's why they are listed in order in the paths and disciplines. My contention is that in sage the first two should be swapped.

I guess the bottom line is that, in this game, as the rules currently stand, you are not required to have the Read/Write skill in order to use the Research skill. If you think that this is not real or logical enough for you, feel free to purchase Read/Write as many times as you are able to.

OR...OR...stay with me on this.... MAYBE ... just maybe...I have another option. One that allows me to suggest a change!!! OMG...CHANGE.

Please don't patronize me. I know the game doesn't currently require it and that I could just pretend I didn't have a spine and not make waves and blah blah blah... I chose to ask. Burn me in effigy if you want.... I have a thick skin. If my tenacity on these topics bothers you so much your going to talk to me like I have an IQ of 3....don't read my posts...simple enough.

Depending on your lifestyle, these are the Paths and Disciplines that grant Read/Write:

See the above rant...I'm out of sarcasm at the moment.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have the ability to cast a spell that traps an incapacitated or willing target in a magic circle. While within the circle I can effect you in any way but nothing you do can effect anything outside of it. The only way you can get out is if someone takes the time to destroy the circle or if you have Escape Artist.

I saw a goblin who healed people by biting them.

A blacksmith who crafts things using psychic powers.

A sylvanni who can tell your future using cards.

A guthrie with magical candies that give you special powers.

In what way does any of that relate to my contention?

Roleplay is what makes your character unique. It's what turns Brian the guy who plays a Path/Discipline into Kaylan Chargeender

I have to assume this came from the same place that the last poster had to tell me how the rules currently work and what I am allowed to RP.... still out of sarcasm so I will point ya back there.

Bottom line is this...The skill is what you make it as long as it does not change the mechanics associated with it. When it comes to roleplaying the skill that is your only boundary.

That's kinda of my contention...if they don't need to read and write to retain the researched info, then they MUST have photographic memory and be able to recall everything they see and hear. Seems crazy for the first skill in a basic path.

When Dani played Abhaya she "Ate the Dead" by pulling the remaining essence out of the body, which to the rest of us looked like fine smoke. It destroyed the body part in question in the process. Her character never once touched the body, much less got her hands bloody. She thought it was abhorrent.

No idea how this applies...

Research is just the stuff you do between events to gain knowledge about something.

That's part of your issue with grasping my intention...you see it as just "stuff you do". That's not at all a RP mindset.

It encompasses anything the player can think of that a character could do towards that goal.

Soooooo...if i can think of a research process that gets me the info I need between events by telepathically taking over the entire world and making everyone tell me everything they know about what I am researching that ok...COOL...I need to rewrite my research stuff and send it off to the GMS.

I personally like the ambiguity that lets you personalize a skill, but that's just me.

A creative RPer can tailor a skills in game effects without its use being vague.
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

I can honestly say I have no idea what point you are trying to make or what you are attempting to accomplish. Can you clarify? Because I thought you were tring to say that the use of research required you to use read/write because there is no other possible way to retain the informationed gathered.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Read this response to the patronizing replies to my earlier posts...at your own peril
*Shrugs*
I never meant to do any attacking. Just stating my opinion.

The problem I see with swapping read/Write a language and research is that a person can already read/write a language if they purchase it at character creation. To purchase the actual skill, I'd then have to know two languages to record one. So you'd have to take out the character-creation part for things to mesh.

I just think getting too realistic by reading too far into the game bogs things down. It'd be like having a "Use (Weapon type)" skill to be able to swing "1" with a certain form of weapon, or having "Spoken language" skills (shudder), or a rule where if you can only read/write Elven, you as a player actually can't ever write anything down for later reference in English, but in an official Elven language approved by the game-staff. Heck, I even think "Use Shield" is dumb, personally.

If I am taking the other side I try to do so with supporting information of why I think the way I do. In the random occurrence that I'm going the distance to patronize someone....they'll know it, which I almost never do because I hate acting like that because it doesn't solve anything and just turns things into a fight instead of a debate.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I can honestly say I have no idea what point you are trying to make or what you are attempting to accomplish.
Can you clarify? Because I thought you were trying to say that the use of research required you to use read/write because there is no other possible way to retain the information gathered.

Actually, that's exactly what I was trying to say.
The research skill is used to investigate ... well everything in the game that is a mystery from magic items to NPC to how to make a quiche. I get that on many topics, asking around would garner the info you need, but some would just require written documents. However I am OK with glossing over that and saying that the actual research doesn't require the PC to read.
Since the work is done in between events it is done over weeks to months, and i just think the assumption a player could retain all the needed details from said research for weeks or months at a time without writing it down is as in game rational/worthy of suspension of disbelief as if it was allowed to use inflatable clown punching bag toys as swords.

I never meant to do any attacking. Just stating my opinion.

1) never said i was being attacked...i said patronized. That's when your statements imply you need to explain the obvious because i am too dim to understand.
2) wasn't directed specifically at you, since there were several replies that were doing it.

The problem I see with swapping read/Write a language and research is that a person can already read/write a language if they purchase it at character creation.
To purchase the actual skill, I'd then have to know two languages to record one. So you'd have to take out the character-creation part for things to mesh.
Incorrect. The read and write you buy with starting resources would work in the same way as the other read and write skills for the purpose of this. Just like if you swap spot with one of your basic path skills, its not required to buy it again if you want to then by the basic crit attack.

As to the other questions on my list, still looking for some FH GM feedback:

1) Can you upgrade a class 2 container to a wheel barrel AFTER the class 2 is finished? And can you RP it NOT being an actual wheel barrel?
Also does it still have an upkeep or was that removed?

3) Would a PC be allowed to spend 10 CP to get only one language with the sage skill? YES I am expecting a no answer...but nothing ventured nothing gained.
If not, could a language learned with starting resources be unlearned and relearned like skills. Also, can you unlearn a perk to select a new one like what can be done with skills?

4) Is the rule stating that tube foam weapons need to have 5/8" thick padding just a hold over form CARPS like some of the other weapon color and construction rules?

5) Can I get a yes or no on whether ambidex is sufficient to upgrade drunken Brawl?
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"