Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

LV.4 discipline weapon focus

Post by Altearez »

Normal-1Dmg per PC 0 character points

Trained-2Dmg per PC 90 character points

Seasoned Warrior-3Dmg per PC 250 character points

for any other path 2's would cost at least 90 points on top of any other initial path costs.

this means you will have primarily warriors swinging 2's and only warriors swinging 3's.

Therefore you have more warriors swinging passive +1 damage more than any other path, and at the same time giving them the ability to swing 3's making 2 master warrior skills kind of redundant.

Possible alternatives for this

-Make all Weapon focus discipline skills 3rd LV. instead of 4th LV.
>this gives more poeple the access too 2's making it more adept instead of master

-Remove weapon specialization +1 from Warrior
>this would make the average Path other that warrior swing 1
>it would also still allow master warriors access to 2 making the average warrior swing 2
>lastly it would make warrior like any other path, to get +1 damage above their average they would have to pay at least 90 points.

-Remove weapon specialization +1 from the game only leaving rage
>this makes only 2's max swing damage making the normal weak people swing only 1's ever and making the seasoned warrior the only one able to swing max damage.
ImageImageImage
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Not bad ideas.

How about we remove weapon focus...

Personally I feel passive weapon damage is too high.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

i am with Chris on lower passive weapon damage over all, however

in the current update lots of things were changed
-lots of other paths recived combat reflexes
-rouge damage was boosted up to 4 per level
-armor got another location that actually added to soak

if your going to drop base numbers accross the boards when dealing with soak and damage, you cant just do it to one skill on one path.

drop rouge crit back down to 3 per level, their addition of new skills more than makes up for whatever downside they once had.

reduce armor as a point of massive soak, a full suit of Q heavy is 16 points of armor, thats more than most people's base health and CR.

maybe instead of armor being individual locations it should just be a full total?
light = 4
medium = 7
heavy = 10
because now that you dont have to wear a phys rep to actually have armor the per location thing is not really a big deal. and this lets you ballance the numbers better as you cant really drop the points per location you have now without doing 1/2 points per location, and that would be lame :P
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Not going to change the rest of the stuff.

Warrior weapon focus could be changed and even then it would not end up being changed till next year.
Chris
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

I agree it won't be too bad, if warrior is given access to a damage call appendage it will compensate for the overall strength balance.
ImageImageImage
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I agree it won't be too bad, if warrior is given access to a damage call appendage it will compensate for the overall strength balance.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here so I will guess.

To be clear. Remove weapon focus and then give warriors something that is NOT a direct damage bonus.
Chris
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Idea 1)
STUNNING STRIKE
Not a knockout, but one that limits charged and LP based skills from being used, and prevents running. Target can physicaly block, back away, call for help.
I say a 5 second charge and a 5 or 10 second effect.

Idea 2)
RESIST CRUSH
For 3LP the warrior can physically parry crush attacks with weapon or shield for combat duration.

Idea 3)
MAIM
For 1LP the warrior can render the limb of the opponent struck unusable until healed by a healer

Idea 4)
MAGIC PARRY
For 2LP the warrior can parry any non weapon, packet attack that surges (channels/root/sleep/charms/magic fear/etc...) for himself or another character standing within arms reach. This would shatter a weapon and drop a shield to the next lower catagory (heavy to med, med to light, shatters a light shield)

Idea 5)
SLAY
With a 10second charge time and for 5LP a warrior can strike a foe and send him straight to bleeding to death and 0 LP.

Idea 6)
SUNDER
This passive skill allows the warrior to count as 4 people for the purposes of beating down a door with a mace, hammer or axe. Also with a 15 second charge the warrior can strike a shield and call SUNDER and lower its catagory by one (heavy to med, med to light, shatters a light shield)

Idea 7)
REDIRECT
The warrior can spend 3LP to not only avoid the effect of any melee weapon based attack, but also cause that affect to effect the weapons weilder.

-(Master Switch out)Battle Tactics-
Parry already eliminates all damage from such an attack
-(Master Switch out)Shatter weapon-
Shatter is already intended to be empath specific, but disarm my be a good trade off for a swap out skill
-(Basic Switch out)Crush-
already an advanced swap out
Last edited by Wyrmwrath on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

To be clear. Remove weapon focus and then give warriors something that is NOT a direct damage bonus.
I understand and I agree with you it was just an errant thought.

Possible different skill ideas again...

-(Master Switch out)Battle Tactics-
>through heavy combat experience when struck with an enormous attack the warrior knows how to absorb the shock, the warrior takes half damage for any melee call above "5".

-(Master Switch out)Thick Blooded-
>From the constant nicks and bruises of the battlefield the warriors body has become more resilient to battle wounds The warrior recovers 2 LP every 1 Minute.

-(Master Switch out)Shatter weapon-
>In necessary times the warrior can summon strength within to shatter his enemies weapon, A warrior may spend a life point to swing "Shatter Weapon" this effects only melee weapons (10 sec cool down).

-(Advanced Switch out)Guardians Instinct-
>constantly defending people the warrior knows how people are prone to attack while being defended, When protecting someone behind them the warrior gets a +4 to combat reflexes.

-(Basic Switch out)Crush-
>A warrior may spend 1LP to swing "1Cruch"

-(Master Switch out)Lash-
>A warrior may take 15sec to append Lash to any of the following calls, Fear, Taunt, Banish, Disenchant, Disarm, or Press.

just try to get ideas out, even a bad Idea still has potential, you never know you're bad idea might spark the inspiration of a great Idea. therefore no bad ideas.
ImageImageImage
Garritt
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Garritt »

Or..............

Just eliminate the Weapon Focus and simply do nothing else. I have been playing a non-expansion skill Warrior as Rhul for 3 1/2 years now, and I haven't had a problem with only being able to rage for "2". Or "3" if I somehow got another 4th level discipline that's a weapon focus.

The Master Warrior skills are just fine as the always have been (for the 4 years I have played, anyway.)
Altearez
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Altearez »

that wold give warrior a less number of skills then the other opaths I do believe.
ImageImageImage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Who cares if the warrior has less? If it matters that much give him advanced sandwich making and call it a day!

Listen, the paths DO NOT have to be cookie cutter balanced. They just don't. In fact they shouldn't be. They should have the skills needed to be what they were designed to be, no more no less. If that means wizard has 6 skills per level and warrior has 3...fine. Then that's all they need.

Warriors aren't all that diverse, not like a sage or wizard should be. They hit things and protect things. That's what they do, and as they are set they do that well. I think rogues are TOO competent in combat. They should get great reward on combat skills, but those skills should be a challenge to deliver because they have to be sneaky to hit the vital areas.

Each of the paths have a combat role by their concept:

Warriors = front line
Rogues = infantry type flanking troops
Empaths = field artillery
Healers = DUH
Sages = intelligence gathering/leadership
wizards = special weapons

Why does everyone want to take the paths and bend em to a role they aren't designed to be?!?!?

If you want to be a bad ass fighter ....DUH take a warrior. You cant do better for toe to toe combat...not even with a rogue.

Can there be less droning on and on about this mysterious balance thet isnt really supposed to exist in a game system for PC building since it supposed to come from the DMing end of it? Thats where the classes are supposed to get balanced, by the encounters the staff sets up. they are the ones that are supposed to be making sure that a class/path has its time to shine without outshining the others.

Leo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Leo »

Who cares if the warrior has less? If it matters that much give him advanced sandwich making and call it a day!
Because its much easier to structure a game where each path has an equal number of skills that are of equal value to other players different skills. Also every skill gives someone a choice to make a character different or play differently in a situation, thats a good reason why everyone must have the same amount as well.

Warriors = front line
Rogues = infantry type flanking troops
Empaths = field artillery
Healers = DUH
Sages = intelligence gathering/leadership
wizards = special weapons

Why does everyone want to take the paths and bend em to a role they aren't designed to be?!?!?
So basically what your saying is why role play? Its for anyone to choose if they wanna play a sage like a rogue or, a warrior like a sage or, even a Rogue like a warrior. Its the users ability to role play and their ability to wield a foam weapon that matters in the end.
Can there be less droning on and on about this mysterious balance thet isnt really supposed to exist in a game system for PC building since it supposed to come from the DMing end of it? Thats where the classes are supposed to get balanced, by the encounters the staff sets up. they are the ones that are supposed to be making sure that a class/path has its time to shine without outshining the others.
Balence DOES infact exsist, and there is a reason for it, otherwise you'd see everyone pull to the best perceived path. Balence allows us to keep everyone choosing everything so there is a variaty of useful skills held by the entire party. As well, the GM's can't plan for other PC's out RPing PC's who have the skill just don't use it fast enough.

I apologize for how directly this follows your post but its what I believe.
Leo Edanis of Geldaland

¤º°¨ ¸„ø¤º°¨„ø¤º°¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„ ¸Free to do what I want Forever!! º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ ¸„ø¤º „¸¨°º¤
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

So one of the best things I ever heard about balancing a game was this.

"There will be hills and valleys in every system. The goal is to avoid mountains and gourges."
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Because its much easier to structure a game where each path has an equal number of skills that are of equal value to other players different skills.
Really, because i dont see the logic to support that. Have you ever created a RPG/LARP? I have with my ex wife. The number of skills a specific class/path has has nothing to do with balance and doesnt need to be the same unless your just anal about symetry. Life isnt symetrical.

Also every skill gives someone a choice to make a character different or play differently in a situation, thats a good reason why everyone must have the same amount as well.
Again, I see no logic to support that. the fact that every skill gives a player an option to be different in no way correlates to the need for classes/paths to have the same number of skills. They are unrelated.

Quote:

So basically what your saying is why role play?

No in fact what i said was why does everyone want to change the skills of a path to play it like an already established class/path. If its role playing, just play the sage like a rogue. There is no need to change the skills aroiund. Skills have zero/nada/naught to do with role playing. I cant fathom why so many have a hard time with that fact. What skills DO have influence on is effective ness in a particular task, thats all.
Anyone can take a warrior barbarian orc, and play it like a sage. The Pc will just suck as far as effectiveness. If you want to play a sage that is as effective as a sage...play a sage.

Its for anyone to choose if they wanna play a sage like a rogue or, a warrior like a sage or, even a Rogue like a warrior. Its the users ability to role play and their ability to wield a foam weapon that matters in the end.

Thank you for supporting my point that the number of skills are irrelevent

Balence DOES infact exsist, and there is a reason for it, otherwise you'd see everyone pull to the best perceived path.
I have heard this for three decades at least now and its just rubbish. Only the gamers amd power gamers go for the most killer skill combo. Tru roleplayers chose skills that fit thier concept.

Balence allows us to keep everyone choosing everything so there is a variaty of useful skills held by the entire party.

Wrong again. The plots role players keep everybody chosing a variety of skills so that when we need a rogue that can pick loks, we have one and not just 30 warrior knight paladins....
As well, the GM's can't plan for other PC's out RPing PC's who have the skill just don't use it fast enough.
no idea what that means

I apologize for how directly this follows your post but its what I believe.
why apologise for being the next poster?

Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

there was such a massive amount of gravity pulling me to all the things i have seen and disagree with, and hence wanted to argue about. . .that it created a singularity and pulled me in. so now i cant. . .
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.